Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-13-2011, 11:35 PM   #1
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
my cheap solution to a clear bra

im in the autobody field and we have a vinyl guy who comes in and does some of our custom work.. when i had my other car that was prone to chip issues, i called him up and he came by the shop and put on some clear vinly for me, it does the same job as the clear bra stuff, but this clear vinyl is thicker. its not even that much more noticeable then the clear bra.. it cost me about $200 for the bumper and rear quarter panel areas.. seems like those are the same areas that chip on the camaro.. im gonna call him tomorrow and have him come down to my shop and give me a price for the camaro.. ill keep you guys posted in this thread..
Old 03-14-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
I'm getting clear bra installed on mine shortly. Pix when it's done?

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Sorry. Vinyl is not desinged to stop anything. It is for looks only. I have installed vinyl before and also clear bras for the last 8 years. Vinyl might prevent tiny little pebbles from getting to the paint but a rock will go right through it. Paint protection film is specifically designed to stop large objects. Try pushing a pen through a piece of paint protection film... almost impossible to do and then try vinyl. It tears right through vinyl. So your solution is cheap for a reason... it wont work.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
I agree... you'll stop minor pitting a little bit, but the larger, more noticeable chips will still be there, but for the price I guess its better than nothing.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
I cant believe I'm saying this but.... Thicker isn't necessarily better... Stronger is.. as stated above.

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #6
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I cant believe I'm saying this but.... Thicker isn't necessarily better... Stronger is.. as stated above.

i see what you did there.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
Sorry. Vinyl is not desinged to stop anything. It is for looks only. I have installed vinyl before and also clear bras for the last 8 years. Vinyl might prevent tiny little pebbles from getting to the paint but a rock will go right through it. Paint protection film is specifically designed to stop large objects. Try pushing a pen through a piece of paint protection film... almost impossible to do and then try vinyl. It tears right through vinyl. So your solution is cheap for a reason... it wont work.
iv used this clear vinyl on my other cars and it worked great to protect from rock chips.. why would i lie?

Last edited by bowtie628; 03-14-2011 at 06:04 PM.
bowtie628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
Tantalizer43

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Are you clear bra'd?
Old 03-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
KIZE
www.gkiser.com

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, Auto, Summit White. R
I'm clear bra'd: full front bumper (and head lights), gills, side view mirrors, rocker panels. Had it done a week after purchase, last April. Total cost was about $800. Not a single paint chip on the car. And the FL love bugs wipe right off.

Can you see the clear bra on my signature pic? I can't. Sucks to pay the money but totally worth it in the long run. I'll clear bra all my new cars going forward.

BTW- I'll clay them first!

Roto-fab CAI, GMPP exhaust with tips, Pistol Grip shifter with paddle switches, 'Chevrolet' aluminum kick plates, Aluminum Bow Ties, ClearBra front bumper/facia + side views + gills + behind door handles. SS floormats. www.gkiser.com
KIZE www.gkiser.com
KIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
Vert2SS

Drives: 2011 IOM/IO 2SS RS Vert
Kize, who did your car? I live in the Tampa area and have my 2011 vert on order. Am definately getting mine done and was looking at Autopaintguard on Nebraska ave. , looks like he does an amazing job and a lot of high end cars.
Vert2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #11
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
i got mine in tampa too. i think he was off of nebraska. he washes whole car too. i paid $575 for my front mirrors, headlights, and some of the front fender. took like 4 hours though too. well worth it. i had mine on for a year now. plus it makes it easier to remove the damn love bugs during love bug season too!
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #12
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
$800 geez. did you do half the car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIZE View Post
I'm clear bra'd: full front bumper (and head lights), gills, side view mirrors, rocker panels. Had it done a week after purchase, last April. Total cost was about $800. Not a single paint chip on the car. And the FL love bugs wipe right off.

Can you see the clear bra on my signature pic? I can't. Sucks to pay the money but totally worth it in the long run. I'll clear bra all my new cars going forward.

BTW- I'll clay them first!
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
KIZE
www.gkiser.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert2SS View Post
Kize, who did your car? I live in the Tampa area and have my 2011 vert on order. Am definately getting mine done and was looking at Autopaintguard on Nebraska ave. , looks like he does an amazing job and a lot of high end cars.
Bettye, it was Ryan Burroughs. 813 505 3868.
www.auto ain't hard.com

Guy is meticulous, extremely good work.

Do me a favor, tell him Greg Kiser recommended him. I might get a freebie.

Had my whitev2SS done last April, hopefully he'll remember me.

Then his buddy next door, Glen Bounty, does full detailing and clay bar.

Roto-fab CAI, GMPP exhaust with tips, Pistol Grip shifter with paddle switches, 'Chevrolet' aluminum kick plates, Aluminum Bow Ties, ClearBra front bumper/facia + side views + gills + behind door handles. SS floormats. www.gkiser.com
KIZE www.gkiser.com
Old 03-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #14
KIZE
www.gkiser.com

www.autopaintguard.com. Man, gotta love the auto insertion/correction function on an iPad. Jeeze.

KIZE www.gkiser.com