Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
HID bulb replacement cost

Getting ready to order my 2SS IOM/IO vert - HIDs or not (RS), that is the question. Does anyone know what it will cost to replace the HID bulbs when they burn out? I heard a Lexus scare story in 2006 where HID replacement bulbs at the dealer cost over $800 each.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Im pretty sure the HIDs will outlast the care if you don't wreck it.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:55 PM   #3
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_P View Post
Getting ready to order my 2SS IOM/IO vert - HIDs or not (RS), that is the question. Does anyone know what it will cost to replace the HID bulbs when they burn out? I heard a Lexus scare story in 2006 where HID replacement bulbs at the dealer cost over $800 each.
The RS uses D1S bulbs. Old technology so there are tons of cheap options. Any bulb from the dealer is going to be expensive. The lexus has a lexus tax. The bulbs from.chevy are around 480 I think but hidplanet usually has philips for very cheap from.people upgrading.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:58 AM   #4
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
You can get a decent pair of D1S bulbs for about $150. They vary in quality; especially the cheap bulbs from China, but if you stick with Japanese or German bulbs you should be fine.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
eggydoo

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I have always bought the ones in ebay for around $50-$60..no issues whatsoever. Many of the vendors on there even provide warranty, which I have redeemed once because I accidently broke the bulb when installing it.
Some people on here tend to be snobs and would rather feel the need to spend more for the added feel warm in the pants feeling.
eggydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggydoo View Post
I have always bought the ones in ebay for around $50-$60..no issues whatsoever. Many of the vendors on there even provide warranty, which I have redeemed once because I accidently broke the bulb when installing it.
Some people on here tend to be snobs and would rather feel the need to spend more for the added feel warm in the pants feeling.
I hardly think I'm being a snob by recommending a quality bulb. I bought a pair of cheap Chinese bulbs from ebay that were $40 a pair and not only was the light output poor, it wasn't even a consistent amount of light. I spent some hours doing research and found some Japanese MTEC bulbs which were night and day better and produced a uniform pattern of light. You don't have to spend hundreds like some websites charge but I didn't think $150 was being a "snob".

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I hardly think I'm being a snob by recommending a quality bulb. I bought a pair of cheap Chinese bulbs from ebay that were $40 a pair and not only was the light output poor, it wasn't even a consistent amount of light. I spent some hours doing research and found some Japanese MTEC bulbs which were night and day better and produced a uniform pattern of light. You don't have to spend hundreds like some websites charge but I didn't think $150 was being a "snob".
You get what you pay for!

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
BFXenon has a pair of D1S HID bulbs for $89 with life time warranty in 4300K (OEM) 6000K and 8000K.
http://www.bfxenon.com/BFXenon_com_D..._p/hid-d1s.htm
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
ronss

Drives: 2SS CGM/GRND FX/STRIPES/CAI, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
BFXenon has a pair of D1S HID bulbs for $89 with life time warranty in 4300K (OEM) 6000K and 8000K.
these are for the bulbs in the halo headlights?
ronss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronss View Post
Yes, these are the HID headlights. The Halo's go around each HID's in the headlight assembly. Here is a DIY I did for replacing the factory HID's with another D1S HID bulb.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120592
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
BFXauto.com
Account Suspended

Drives: Dodge... for now!
These are the factory HID replacement bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronss View Post
BFXauto.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #12
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
guys, you know how on the stock rs bulbs, when they first come on, they give off a beautiful aqua hue? Then go pure whie, what k is best to have the aqua blue the entire time? 8000k?
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #13
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
guys, you know how on the stock rs bulbs, when they first come on, they give off a beautiful aqua hue? Then go pure whie, what k is best to have the aqua blue the entire time? 8000k?
Yes....it's more like the 8k but with 8k you'll loose some of your light output. You won't be able to see as good as with 4300k or 5000k. 6000k has an ever so slight blue and will still see better than 8k but you may want the blue of the 8k to really see a difference in color.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #14
BFXauto.com
Account Suspended

Drives: Dodge... for now!
Yes, 8000K will keep that slight hue of blue in the light...

Here is a link to the bulb and a picture of the difference:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
BFXauto.com is offline   Reply With Quote