Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

Drives: Camaros: 68 SS, 10 2SS/RS, 12 ZL1
Remote Start Question

I have a 2010 A6 Camaro SS with the remote start and it never gets old hearing it fire up as I approach it an a parking lot. I never thought remote start would be a feature that I enjoyed so much. I actually got the automatic because my wife doesn't drive a stick and we share the car.

Well, now I have a ZL1 on order and this one's a manual. As I'm waiting for the ZL1s to be freed from their QC, I'm spending time researching accessories and one thing I'm looking for is a way to add remote start to it. I realize the car will have to be parked in neutral with the parking brake on but I'm thinking that remote start should be possible.

Has anyone had remote start added to their M6 Camaro and if so, what kit or installer did you use?

Thanks!
1st Gen Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Unhappy

from what I heard read you can add remote start to a manual tran car but you have to do it aftermarket. you cannot get a remote start from the factory on a manual tran car probably for safety reasons.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
SixGracing

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6
Safety reasons as in starting the car, walking out to it and discovering it has driven itself several blocks away and now resides in someone's front room, kinds of safety reasons?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
5cents
Dave

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS - Black/CGM Stripes
I know the remote start option is not available on GM manual transmission vehicles, for safety reasons. It might be available from some aftermarket supplier, but I would still think twice about installing it.

All it takes is one time that you forget to put it in neutral and bang .... it starts and runs into something. I have also read horror stories on here where the emergency brake failed to keep a Camaro from rolling forward, because the brake handle was not fully set

You might also want to consider that it is illegal in some states, NJ for one, to install a remote start on a manual transmissioned vehicle. So, check your state laws before buying one.
Attached Images

5cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

I'm thinking the neutral safety switch should prevent the car from starting same way it does when you turn the key in gear right? Unless the clutch is required even in neutral to start the manual Camaros. Maybe I'm oversimplifying since I've not owned a modern manual. But I do understand the mechanics of both transmissions and starting systems. With the right sensors and lockouts it should be doable.

I'm seeing a few kits that claim to work with 2010-2012 Camaros, manual or automatic.
AutoLoc
Autostart
Pyle
ScyTek

I'm just looking for someone with first hand experience. Good or bad.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
I have a Viper 5901 with remote start and I love mine. Especially when it starts up and the exhaust is louder the few minutes while it warms up.
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #7
Chiefish

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Just be careful as others have stated its a safty issue. We just got done repairing a car that had remote start with a manual trans . The kid was in a store with his girl, accidently hit the remote button in his pocket and now he owns a storefront and all the accesories to go with it including a new front end on his car. Plus i know the cops were here to investigate it as well. So he probly got a higher insurance payment and a fine or two on top of it all.
Chiefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
masterofpuppets
Pulling your strings

Drives: My girlfriend crazy with car talk
Can't find it, but I remember a story on jalopnik about a guy taking his manual tranny gt mustang (might have been a gt500) in for service. The dealer used its aftermarket auto start, not realizing it was in gear, and it ended up in a ditch.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
rahallfly

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
My dad has put remote starts in manual cars. if a professional does it, and or you make sure you buy a nice remote start for the car it will come with a safety switch so it doesnt start in gear. Im not positive how it works but i know they do it. But if they just bypass the safety switch is where you can get in trouble and start it in gear!
rahallfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
Verbolten

Drives: someday a convertible
It's just a bad idea......
Verbolten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

Thanks for all the feedback! Research goes on...
Old 03-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #12
evilbeef54
tail lights for u

Drives: Bumble Bee 2010 2SS/RS
i have the viper 4000 remote start installed in my m6 as long as you program the unit in manual mode it is impossible to start the car while it is in gear, so there is no safety concerns, it can be annoying because if you set the car so that it can be remote started, then later in the day decide you need something out of the car, but dont want to start it you will disable the remote start since you unlocked the doors with out it being started, but it really isnt a big deal and it does it to protect the car, plus being able to use my android phone to lock, unlock, start, pop the trunk is nice, everyone who says it is bad idea, or unsafe is refering to OLD technology, it can most definitely be set up safe
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RY M6- LOVIN' it
Kooks LT's & HFC's, Flowmaster Single chamber mufflers, C.A.I. Intake, ADM Scoop, Rotofab w/w relocate

Semper Paratus

You have to go out You don't have to come back!!!
evilbeef54 is offline   Reply With Quote