Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
KevinGolshani

Drives: Camaro 2 LT
Want to mod my V6 camaro 2lt need help

I want to start modding the car for performance.
What are the best upgrades I can get?
i have like $5000

Im guessing im looking for the parts that give me the most hp, unless someone else brings up an essential point

What are the best:
Intakes
headers
exhaust
any parts that increase performance
ect
KevinGolshani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
Cross
Silver Bomber

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS SIM
Suspension, then brakes, then ponies.

You need to have control and stop before extra go.
☼ BMR Sub-frame connectors, BMR strut tower brace, BMR adjustable sway bars ☼ BC Racing Coil Overs ☼ Vararam Intake ☼ Rx Catch can & Oil cap breather ☼ Brembo's with slotted/drilled rotors ☼ Dynomax VT Mufflers ☼ Trifecta Tune ☼ Hella Fogs ☼ Eagle Eyes ☼ Heritage Grille ☼ Enkei Raijin wheels ☼

Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
Cross
Silver Bomber

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS SIM
I have full BMR suspension on my car and the difference is night and day. Next to no body roll and I can take a 90º turn at 40mph with little to no tire squeal.
☼ BMR Sub-frame connectors, BMR strut tower brace, BMR adjustable sway bars ☼ BC Racing Coil Overs ☼ Vararam Intake ☼ Rx Catch can & Oil cap breather ☼ Brembo's with slotted/drilled rotors ☼ Dynomax VT Mufflers ☼ Trifecta Tune ☼ Hella Fogs ☼ Eagle Eyes ☼ Heritage Grille ☼ Enkei Raijin wheels ☼

Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
could save up for a turbo/super charger...then get a suspension with it. If your lookin for the most hp, thats what ud do.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
SteveFrench

Drives: Summit White 2018 SS
save 1000.00 more and throw on one of those RX supercharger kits, they look beast! thats the fastest way to get the most HP besides maybe a turbo setup which they also have. Rx has great quality stuff for our cars. check out the FI section.
SteveFrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
SteveFrench

If you don't go with a turbo or supercharger then check out a Vmax ported TB/rx ported&modified intake manifold and an intake manifold isolator. those were my first mods and i felt a good gain from those. also look into the RX catch cans that will help prevent oil ingestion.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
SteveFrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross View Post
Suspension, then brakes, then ponies.

You need to have control and stop before extra go.
If im not mistaken the brakes on our cars will handle quite a bit more ponies, i think either gretchen or cant_c_me even with their FI setups they are running the stock brakes. i could be wrong though.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
calflan

Drives: 1LT; IBM; 6 Spd Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFrench View Post
If you don't go with a turbo or supercharger then check out a Vmax ported TB/rx ported & modified intake manifold and an intake manifold isolator. those were my first mods and i felt a good gain from those. also look into the RX catch cans that will help prevent oil ingestion.
Agreed, go this route and the plenum isolater / gasket with the manifold isolator from MACE. Don't forget a good Cold Air Intake kit (Vararam seems the most popular now); add catback exhaust (not axle back) - recommend Borla; finally the Trifecta engine tune. All this should run you about $2700.00. After these go after suspension and stabilization kits and finally a short throw shifter (if manual tranny).
1LT; Airaid CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder Axelback; Int Floor Lts; RS Spoiler; Radio Controls; Sequential tail lights; Oil Catch Can; VMAX Throttle Body; MACE plenum spacer; Mace manifold insulator[/I]
calflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
I would have saved for the TT if I could do it again. it always depends on who is drivin the car..
Old 05-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGolshani View Post
I want to start modding the car for performance.
What are the best upgrades I can get?
i have like $5000

Im guessing im looking for the parts that give me the most hp, unless someone else brings up an essential point

What are the best:
Intakes
headers
exhaust
any parts that increase performance
ect
Black Iceolator, vmax body T, trifecta tune, mace 25mm, vararam, etc... So many options...
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
With 5 grand you have a whole wealth of options.

You need to sit down and consider where you want to take your car. Also, not sure if you have a 2012 or a pre-2012 car, but your in the pre-2012 section so I'll assume it is.

First off in all cases you will want a catch-can.

Do you want to keep the car N/A (no forced induction) and get max potential with bolt ons which is somewhere between 340 to 360 HP, AND do exhaust, and some suspension mods??

If so you will want to go with exhaust, intake, ported intake manifold, RX ported throttle body, manifold insulator, tune, long tube headers/high flow cats, sway bars, and maybe drop springs (if you want to drop the car....or go all out and get the expensive coil overs).

The above excluding coil overs, I'm estimating around 3,500 to 4 grand, not including any labor costs for things you don't install yourself. This would be a sweet N/A V6 and with good tires for drag racing should be capable of low to mid 13 second 1/4 mile runs.

Keep in mind that eventually cams will be available which will probably add another couple grand in parts and labor costs to that number, but would probably bump the horsepower closer to 400 at the crank instead of the numbers above. (monster N/A V6 in my opinion)

OR...

Save up a couple grand more and chose either a supercharger or turbo setup from the various companies out there (RX, IPF, STS, and some others). Looking at at least 450 or higher crank HP with a decent SC setup and more with turbo. Expect at least 6 to 8 grand in parts and labor costs.

While the car will be a beast on the road, to control wheel spin and get decent times at the track you will still need tires and some suspension tweaks. Without tires/suspension I'd expect a very low to mid 13, and DRs I'd expect to break into the 12s, and with a full tire/suspenion setup you could get into the mid or even low 12s. Hopefully see someone go 11s one of these days with this type of setup.

Whatever you do, good luck to you.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
5K is a good chunk of change to be able to spend on mods.

You need to have a plan in place on what you are looking to do.

Performance, Handling, or Cosmetics. Those were my 3 categories and I am trying for an equal balance of all 3.

If you want a GREAT handling car then there are suspension mods that will get you there. Or for a smaller amount get some lowering springs and sway bars and this will give you a fantastic look and better than stock handling.

If performance is your main goal then save a few more grand and go twin turbos or supercharger.

If cosmetics is what you want then there are a ton of options.

Take a look at my build sheet for plenty of options that will eat up your 5K.

If you should have any questions send me a PM.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77861
Old 05-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
5K is a good chunk of change to be able to spend on mods.

You need to have a plan in place on what you are looking to do.

Performance, Handling, or Cosmetics. Those were my 3 categories and I am trying for an equal balance of all 3.

If you want a GREAT handling car then there are suspension mods that will get you there. Or for a smaller amount get some lowering springs and sway bars and this will give you a fantastic look and better than stock handling.

If performance is your main goal then save a few more grand and go twin turbos or supercharger.

If cosmetics is what you want then there are a ton of options.

Take a look at my build sheet for plenty of options that will eat up your 5K.

If you should have any questions send me a PM.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77861
Just wanted to say...car looks great with the aftermarket rims!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #14
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Just wanted to say...car looks great with the aftermarket rims!

Thank - you Keith......