Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Header Question

Okay, let me start off by saying that yes I know I have a v6 and this is the v8 forum. The reason I posted this here was because I know the v8s have a lot more options for headers so its only natural they probably know a little more about pros and cons of them. I also posted this here because I know a lot of v8 vendors and members are extremely knowledgeable and was hoping to get their take on this question.

My question is... Has anyone heard of porting headers? Does it help? Or are aftermarket headers already perfect the way they are?

Thank you in advance!

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Okay, let me start off by saying that yes I know I have a v6 and this is the v8 forum. The reason I posted this here was because I know the v8s have a lot more options for headers so its only natural they probably know a little more about pros and cons of them. I also posted this here because I know a lot of v8 vendors and members are extremely knowledgeable and was hoping to get their take on this question.

My question is... Has anyone heard of porting headers? Does it help? Or are aftermarket headers already perfect the way they are?

Thank you in advance!
Porting an aftermarket header???? That would be a really bad idea and no I have never heard of anyone doing this.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
lscamaro

Could you elaborate on why that would be a bad idea? I have a friend nagging me that porting headers is perfectly normal and would increase hp. I keep telling him its not true but I just wanted to make sure

Old 06-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
red70tvhs
Red

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
Porting an aftermarket header???? That would be a really bad idea and no I have never heard of anyone doing this.
+1 Bad Idea, the headers are already extremely free flowing compared to factory manifolds. Porting them out could even compromise the reliability of the header due to the heat one would think, well if you ported the pip thinner than what it is. I've heard of people actually doing it, it never ended well for the header or it had no gains to justify doing it.
red70tvhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Are you sure you do not mean porting the heads?
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
lscamaro

No, trust me. I asked the same question and he was extremely sure of himself and he clearly said headers. I only ask this because I'm still fairly young and since the camaro is my first real performance car I'm still learning. Everything I've learned ive learned from here and had never heard of porting headers. So I naturally wanted to know more and asked here

Old 06-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Punch your friend in the face so can shut it! Lol "Porting Headers"? Really?
Lmao I've heard it all on this board LMAO.

Im sure he meant heads and he doesn't know the difference. Sorry to talk about your friend, I know I know he's been wrenching all his life and he is 3rd generation GM master mechanic. Sorry couldn't resist.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
He definitely meant ported heads, not headers. He likely doesn't know the difference.
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
lscamaro

No, he's one of those guys you kinda just hear talk but don't really take his advice. Well that's what I do anyway

Old 06-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #10
John@AutoAgenda

Drives: 2004 GTO
I couldn't imagine a part of the header you could port except the piece of metal at the head which would do nothing but break the weld that holds the tube to it.
John@AutoAgenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:39 AM   #11
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
In the OP's friends defense, it was common practice to port the exhaust manifold on my Turbo Talon and i'm sure several other exhaust manny's that were CAST. I've read where a few were thinking of porting our STOCK CAST exhaust manifold. What I think is left out in all the above comments is that there's nothing to port on aftermarket tubed headers, not to mention there's no way to port around the bends in a aftermarket header.

OP, go to a muffler shop and look at their tubing. Tell me how much material you can grind off before you grind through.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote