Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
iCamaro

Drives: 2012 LT RS Camaro
Vertical doors - troubleshooting

Please only comment if you have a solution or recommendation. I know this community has a lot of people who just love to bash the vertical doors. I've heard it all already and just want to get this problem fixed today.

I have a noise that only happens once in a while. I have tried to lube the hinges, but it didn't seem to work. The noise didn't happen much this summer but the temperature drop dramatically and door started up again. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it, where the problem is, and what I am missing? Any idea of how to fix this? Please see video.

http://youtu.be/DiJgKs2U5io
Old 10-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Evotion
Warehouse 13 Survivor!!!!

Drives: '13 ZL1 - 69' Camaro
Have no experience with the vertical doors at all, but it sounds just like my '69 does when the springs are rubbing.

Hope you get it figured out.
Evotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
iCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evotion View Post
Have no experience with the vertical doors at all, but it sounds just like my '69 does when the springs are rubbing.

Hope you get it figured out.

Thanks, I hope so too. It's very embarrassing getting out of the car with that noise.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
You have a dry/tight hinge. What did you use to lube it with? Try WD-40 in every crevice of the hinge. Put a towel underneath to catch all the runoff, and spray heavily. After spraying, work the door back and forth for several minutes. If the noise diminishes or goes away completely, you've pinpointed the issue. If it continues, get a cheap mechanic's stethoscope and place it at various points on the hinge area to pinpoint. You will likely need to replace the hinge for a permanent repair, or just lube it regularly to keep the issue from coming back.

Sometimes it takes quite a bit of product to get into the tight spot. A quick spray won't do it.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Agreed ^^^^^^ with this...WD 40 should knock it out
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
hunterv6
Always bet on Black

Drives: 2011 turbo LS, 2012 f 150,
Get some bearing gease raise the door and coat the hinge lightly you have metal on metal if memory severs me correct there was spot in the install that needs a light coat of grease that was not one of the gease fitting and I think that is what is grinding.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283263</font>
hunterv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
I have had my vertical doors for over a year now. And haven't had or seen that one...yet. I would say just spray some wd 40 on it, check your wiring harness see it has clearance when your doing that.
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
iCamaro

Okay, so I have been using crc white lithium lubricant. A spray that is supposed to be the best for metal to metal. After reading a few of your post I decided to spray every area I could see until it stopped.

I found the problem. There is a spot where the shock connects to the door hinge. When you open the door it moves too, not just the hinge itself!

I found a photo on camaro5 of the hinge. It was posted by CiscoBee. His account is suspended, so I didn't think he would mind if I used it to show everyone the area!

You'll see the red arrow pointing to the area I sprayed. In the photo the shock is not attached there yet, but that is the spot that was giving me trouble!

Name:  driverdoorhinges copy.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  215.8 KB

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #9
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
Good to know, if that ever happens to me. I now know how to fix it.
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote