Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #15
hillshooter

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS commemorative
I would love to know specifics on this setup. Its just plain sexxy
hillshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:50 PM   #16
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Years ago, I set up my '76 Cutlass that way... HUGE rims/ tires in the rear (along with some Fox SkyJacker shocks), and stock size for the front. Looked very, very badass, and, since Cutlasses were never built for cornering anyhow, there was no sad departure of handling. It was just a straight line machine.

Interestingly, an old dude was talking to me one day. He told me that back in HIS day, the youngsters set their hot rods up with the opposite look/ stance: The dropped the rear, and lifted the front, using different wheel setups and lift kits and lowering kits. The idea was to put as much weight on the rear, for off- the- line traction. Different time, for sure... he said that the cars lifted in the front and dragging ass were the COOL cars... to my generation, that look only says that you've overloaded the trunk with too much junk, and maybe broke the springs back there.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:05 PM   #17
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by redirish View Post
Looks like weld racing wheels RTS with skinnies in the front 17 or 18 inch in the front and maybe 20" in the back. Awesome look very old school!
Definitely a drag setup. Probably close to my setup except I went 8" in front instead of skinnies.

Name:  sideshot.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  159.5 KB
Old 01-06-2016, 07:33 AM   #18
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
Having a much more narrow front tire than the rear will almost always result in more "on-throttle" understeer when coming out of corners. Add both of these together and you have a recipe for disaster in the corners.
"Bigs 'n' littles" will understeer under almost every condition except driving slowly (where very little is happening dynamically), or if you've gone out of your way to re-tune the suspension for what would likely become scary-loose oversteer if you put the OE wheels and tires back on afterward.

Side note, "littles" that are much smaller than maybe min-spec LS/LT trim tires aren't going to be very good for braking even if the ABS doesn't get freaked out by the tire size difference. This might not have mattered a whole lot back in the days of 4 wheel drum brakes and skinny bias-ply tires when most cars couldn't stop all that well anyway.

Norm
Old 01-06-2016, 04:00 PM   #19
gen6waiter

Drives: Toyota Taco. 2010 SS-Sold :(
heavy squats, at least 2x/week
Old 01-06-2016, 07:23 PM   #20
BradySS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Looks like my setup almost but I have 17"s in the front and 15"s in the rear. Even the same color! I used BMR drag racing suspension in the back with their coil over conversion to achieve this look and BMR 1.4" drop springs in the front.

BradySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:23 PM   #21
BradySS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Definitely a drag setup. Probably close to my setup except I went 8" in front instead of skinnies.

Attachment 765708
Looking good.
BradySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:41 PM   #22
Jaybird4u

Drives: 2014 SS/RS
Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Color Red Rock, Kooks LT Headers with High FLow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder Axel back, Vmax ported TB, Kenne Bell 2.8 Liquid cooled supercharger, 560 RWHP, Stillen splitter, Vitesse throttle controller, BMR sway bars, BMR 1.2" front springs and 1.0" rear springs, BMR upgraded front end links, 35% tint, Diode Dynamics interior and exterior lighting, Carbon fiber Bowties, Hood spears.
Jaybird4u is offline   Reply With Quote