Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #225
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
I know this site is dedicated to Camaro enthusiasts and all, but man this group definitely drinks too much Camaro Kool Aid. This a Hellcat is a bad ass muscle car, yes muscle car. I love my Chevrolets but I'd buy one of these Hellcats.
Think we're drinking Kool Aid over here then check out SVT. They are truly in disbelief. I'm glad Dodge stepped up their game. Time for GM to do the same and get over this Corvette being the Halo car crap. A 6th gen ZL1 with less than 650 horses will be a let down in my opinion.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:03 PM   #226
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
11.2 is not slow for a factory stock car at all. I agree though. Take weight out and a car doesn't need as much power to go the same time. Just common sense on that. They can't build cars like camaros, challengers and mustangs without being heavy these days unless you want to pay a much higher cost for one. Thus, this is why they need the big power. You can alway purchase a much lighter car and drop in the big power if you like. No one is stopping you.
LOL. Who is running 11.2's in a ZL1? GT500's are running mid 11's stock and they have 100 more horsepower and weigh hundreds of pounds less. I'm not interested in what some outlier ran once in some ridiculous negative DA. A true stock time for a ZL1 is ~12.0. For 600 horsepower stock - and we all know GM underrates their motors - that's pretty sad. A 4th gen would be in the 10's.

Stock SS's have 80 horsepower more than 4th gens and they're cutting the same times in the quarter mile. Yes, these aren't straight line cars, but with the power they have to be averaging mid 13's is embarrassing. More engineering should've been done to keep weight down. There is so much unnecessary weight in the wheels, seats, etc. These cars could be 150 lbs lighter with no compromise.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #227
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
A stock time for the current ZL1 is 12, a guy here ran 11.6 with just a CAI. I think everyone would just like GM to up their game. I think overall the ZL1 is the best platform of the three for getting there.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:13 AM   #228
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
LOL. Who is running 11.2's in a ZL1? GT500's are running mid 11's stock and they have 100 more horsepower and weigh hundreds of pounds less. I'm not interested in what some outlier ran once in some ridiculous negative DA. A true stock time for a ZL1 is ~12.0. For 600 horsepower stock - and we all know GM underrates their motors - that's pretty sad. A 4th gen would be in the 10's.

Stock SS's have 80 horsepower more than 4th gens and they're cutting the same times in the quarter mile. Yes, these aren't straight line cars, but with the power they have to be averaging mid 13's is embarrassing. More engineering should've been done to keep weight down. There is so much unnecessary weight in the wheels, seats, etc. These cars could be 150 lbs lighter with no compromise.
12 seconds is petty good for a ZL1 considering it also ran the ring in 7:41.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:03 AM   #229
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post

Who cares if the car is stock? Look at the fastest list and you'll see plenty in the 11's and 10's. If your worried about warranty, there are basic items that can be done to get into the 11s without voiding the warranty or tuners that will get you into or on the verge of the 10s with warranty.

In the 4th gen, the SS was the fastest. Now it is the entry level of the performance models. Ligher would have been better but the 5th gen is a nice evolution in terms of power and technology and the 6th will likely give the weight improvement you are asking for.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:54 AM   #230
96MrBass

Drives: GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
Who cares if the car is stock? Look at the fastest list and you'll see plenty in the 11's and 10's. If your worried about warranty, there are basic items that can be done to get into the 11s without voiding the warranty or tuners that will get you into or on the verge of the 10s with warranty.

In the 4th gen, the SS was the fastest. Now it is the entry level of the performance models. Ligher would have been better but the 5th gen is a nice evolution in terms of power and technology and the 6th will likely give the weight improvement you are asking for.

What he said
Roto- Fab Cai, SLP 1 3/4" headers, 3"X pipe, LM2 cat back, Comp Cam & AI Heads, SLP UP, RPM Tuned, GPI Intake, Vmax TB, ADM Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Gforce driveshaft, Braille 21#, Elite Catch Can, Pfadt Tie Rods, Diff Bushings and Trailing arms, Eibach spings & sways, BMR cradle bushings, Nt555r's.
96MrBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #231
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

The three companies d, thats how they get their bragging rights which turns into marketing and sales. And that affects the product we receive in the end.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #232
96MrBass

I have seen more new Stingrays on the roads in my area than the new GT 500. They are all nice cars but bragging rights are pretty much done once they hit the roads.
Roto- Fab Cai, SLP 1 3/4" headers, 3"X pipe, LM2 cat back, Comp Cam & AI Heads, SLP UP, RPM Tuned, GPI Intake, Vmax TB, ADM Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Gforce driveshaft, Braille 21#, Elite Catch Can, Pfadt Tie Rods, Diff Bushings and Trailing arms, Eibach spings & sways, BMR cradle bushings, Nt555r's.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:54 AM   #233
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
The three companies d, thats how they get their bragging rights which turns into marketing and sales. And that affects the product we receive in the end.
GM's cup runneth over. The Z06, ZR1, 1LE, ZL1, Stingray, Z/28, C7 Z06... It's been a nice run with the 6th around the corner. There is no panic within Chevrolet.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:55 AM   #234
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

I wonder how much the ZL1 affected what we got in the 1LE and eventually the Z/28. I wonder how much the success of the ZL1 effected the 1LE and the Z28.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #235
96MrBass

Ya know what's funny is the minute a 60k PONY CAR gets close to the 1/4 mile times as a Vette its badass but then when it gets beat by one all ya hear well its not a pony car. Come on Z06 lol
Old 07-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #236
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Talking kool aid, you would buy the car based on what you have heard so far? This thing could be a heaping pile of a lemon! The ZL1 is a proven legend, the car has been boosted to well over 700 rwhp and the car handles it all, we jave a ZL1 running in the nines, I am guessing they probably pushed the hellcat close to its limit already, I heard they were actually going to try a steering wheel and see if it will turn.
Give me a break already. Legend? I've owned two of them. Great cars but not legendary. It's just a Camaro. Yes it handles well on a road course but big deal. 90% or more consumers by these cars for stop light to stop light performance. The Shelby and now the a Hellcat will be kings of the street. This really can't be disputed. I'm keeping my ZL1 but I do not have blinders on.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #237
96MrBass

You do have to agree the ZL1 is a little more than just a Camaro I would think after owning 2 there is so much more to it than your average SS. Legendary tho?
Old 07-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #238
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
Give me a break already. Legend? I've owned two of them. Great cars but not legendary. It's just a Camaro. Yes it handles well on a road course but big deal. 90% or more consumers by these cars for stop light to stop light performance. The Shelby and now the a Hellcat will be kings of the street. This really can't be disputed. I'm keeping my ZL1 but I do not have blinders on.
Then for the money why don't we see GT500s selling 9 to 1 over the ZL1? Sales tell the true picture of what people want.

2016 Silverado LTZ-Z71 Midnight Edition: 6.2L, 8 speed auto, Borla exhaust
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote