Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Another what if scenario...

On my drive home today, I passed a police car stopped at a light in a turn lane who got out of the lane and paced me after I went by (they slowed when I did to let them pass so I'm pretty sure they were following me). I was not speeding or doing anything else to draw attention... other than driving a badass Camaro Anyway, they eventually turned off in a mile or so but it got me thinking... what should I do if I had proof I wasn't doing anything wrong? I've been meaning to get a dash cam and would have proof if I had one.

Would I be better off keeping my mouth shut, taking the ticket and my video to fight it in court or tell them I had proof I wasn't speeding and try to avoid the hassle? I think I'd be risking accusations of being a smartass and them trying to find some other reason to ticket me if I did the latter.

It's funny how I've read other Camaro profiling posts and though "nah", now here I am writing my own... I guess I had to experience it myself to be a believer
Old 05-21-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
scott's45
Scott's45

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Anniversary
I think the cop was a Camaro guy and just wanted a closer look at your car. Remember, cops are humans too, and some of them are even muscle car nuts like the rest of us! I wouldn't worry about it.
2012 2SS 45th Anniversary, Hurst short throw shifter, Stainless Power LT headers, high flow cats, SW Retro Chambered 3" cat back, CAI, Heritage grill, tinted windows, red/silver hash stripes, AAC LED sidemarkers, blacked out turn signals/tail lights, splash guards. 402RWHP

scott's45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:26 PM   #3
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Cam it and if they are hassling you for no reason, show it in court. Does no good to argue with them in the field, they will just find a reason to mess with you more or again.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
homewrecker

Drives: '04 Z06, '14BMW M235i, '15 SS/1LE
Well since nothing happened go just that

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk
homewrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:42 PM   #5
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Hopefully your not using your red halos in your avatar while driving. If you get pulled over and they don't tell you why they pulled you over before they ask for your license and registration ask them why you are being pulled over. I would be polite and not argue with a LEO. Your money and time to fight a ticket depends on the level of the offense and whether you were right or wrong. Does your local police and HP carry and enforce the use of dashcams, which, you can always request prior to going to trial? A gopro would be nice to have for many other reasons including the reason you mentioned. Another reason for a gopro is to show your friends how fast you were going on the interstate passing and racing other cars. JK.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Not sure I see the problem, if there is one. Unless the same cop is continually tailing you and repeatedly pulling you over, I'm not sure this would be considered profiling or anything else. It's not uncommon for a cop to duck in behind someone and run their license plate information. Fast cars and modified cars draw attention; but simply driving one doesn't constitute membership in a protected class. I'm pretty sure it's legal (and reasonable) for officers to "profile" certain classes of vehicles. That's not necessarily the same case when it comes to profiling drivers, especially of certain ages, races, genders, etc.

Maybe it comes with time and age (and nothing interesting to hide) but I've been part of routine traffic stops before and they're nothing more than a conversation. License checks out, car checks out, insurance is good, OK, thanks, and have a nice day!
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:45 PM   #7
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
I would put a cam in your back window as well
Old 05-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #8
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Maybe he just decided to go straight instead of turning. Normal people do that sometimes.
I did that once and a cop pulled me over for it. Said it was an illegal lane change.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:45 PM   #9
Dubscamaro
Living Life in MPH.

Drives: 15 Summit White 2SS 1LE
I've had a cop follow me...I knew he was checking my tags just by how he was acting with his PC.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:58 PM   #10
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluBlud View Post
On my drive home today, I passed a police car stopped at a light in a turn lane who got out of the lane and paced me after I went by (they slowed when I did to let them pass so I'm pretty sure they were following me). I was not speeding or doing anything else to draw attention... other than driving a badass Camaro Anyway, they eventually turned off in a mile or so but it got me thinking... what should I do if I had proof I wasn't doing anything wrong? I've been meaning to get a dash cam and would have proof if I had one.

Would I be better off keeping my mouth shut, taking the ticket and my video to fight it in court or tell them I had proof I wasn't speeding and try to avoid the hassle? I think I'd be risking accusations of being a smartass and them trying to find some other reason to ticket me if I did the latter.

It's funny how I've read other Camaro profiling posts and though "nah", now here I am writing my own... I guess I had to experience it myself to be a believer
I just came from a car show 1/2 hr from home.....I passed a police suv ...he pulled in right behind me and followed for for a mile or 2. He was doing what I hear on my police scanner as a Rolling Marker. They will stay behind you as they call in your plate number. If everything checks out ..they will then turn off .Its amazes me how often I hear on my scanner that the plates don't match the car..or the registered owner has a suspended license. Either way they will stay behind you till they hear if you check out.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #11
F-16 Camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black
The cop did his job just fine. He followed a motorist operating a car. He observed for any infractions. He ran the plate. No discrepancies were noted and he moved on.

Now if/when you get pulled over for no offense? Make sure you at least get an audio recording, and ask all the right questions.

Also, it helps to know the traffic code, so you can ask specific questions pertinent to the "offense"
F-16 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:07 PM   #12
SIN R G

Drives: 2008 VW R32, 2011 Synergy Green 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Maybe he just decided to go straight instead of turning. Normal people do that sometimes.
I agree, maybe he realized that the doughnut shop was at the next turn.
SIN R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:21 PM   #13
Jackass
Doing what I like to do

Drives: 1963 Landrover
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1SSRSS View Post
Cam it and if they are hassling you for no reason, show it in court. Does no good to argue with them in the field, they will just find a reason to mess with you more or again.
So freaking what , they do patrol the streets all the time , even when you are on the road !
Are you trying to tell that when you are on the road , no cop can or need to be on that same road ?

Like someone said above , the officers also like cars

If they where after you , or anyone else , they coiled stop you for just about 40.000 plus reasons , just cut it off and move on with your life '!
Jackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:55 AM   #14
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
it also happened to me while visiting my parents in a different state except he followed me for over five miles. it was a little weird but i assume he's just doing his job. In va where I work, I see them roll thru walmart etc specifically checking tags. just be a law abiding citizen n no worries.
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote