Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-17-2011, 11:06 PM   #29
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Lol ok.
Just smile and agree. We can never win. Even though Dylan even says to use IPA wipedowns sometimes.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:54 PM   #30
Chobbs11
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro LS
You are correct, Dylan himself does say to use ipa wipedowns. Personally the only time I've heard him suggest it was to remove old wax he may have suggested it to someone else to wipe off the polish with ipa before waxing, but I haven't heard him. Now, I'm not saying that it's a bad idea to do in between polishing compounds and wax, but from all that I have read and watched and experienced on my own car, it is not a necessary step. It takes me more than twelve hours to do a full correction on a well maintained car. I'm am definitely not going to add unnecessary steps to that process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chobbs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #31
Ltdodge

Drives: 2008 Z06
when you polish the car with the three steps do you do the entire car at once which each step, or do you do the three step in sections?
Old 10-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #32
Chobbs11
Account Suspended

Personally, I do it in sections. I am not a fan of leaving the polish on the the paint for a long time(to dry). Plus, I like to see, my results...ie...is my method effective or am I gonna have to change my technique. By completely finishing each section I can adjust my technique accordingly, mid detail.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #33
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iomcamaro View Post
Just smile and agree. We can never win. Even though Dylan even says to use IPA wipedowns sometimes.
This is correct.

Required? Nope... you can happily start waxing and/or sealing after polishing without an IPA wipe and never have an issue.

If you're getting a little more advanced, chasing that absolute perfection, etc and don't mind investing the added time then theres no harm in it either.

Different strokes for different folks ya know! Theres a lot of things people toss around when giving detail advice that they spit out like its concrete, engraved, no compromises fact... thing is theres about a dozen ways to do any one thing.

So long as the results you're getting work for you, don't stress so much on what other people say. Its your car, your paint, and your time/money invested so do it however it works best for ya!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #34
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdodge View Post
when you polish the car with the three steps do you do the entire car at once which each step, or do you do the three step in sections?
Typically best to work in sections (panels) just b/c it makes it more manageable and you can work one area until you have it looking like you want. If you run thru the whole car there are gonna be some areas that might need more work, but get neglected.

Again though... work however it works for you... I have friends who aren't chasing perfect, just wanting to have their paint look good. In their cases they'll run thru the steps around the whole car. They go in understanding it won't be perfect. Vastly improved? Yes. The time invested is far less as well so there is a trade off.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #35
Chobbs11
Account Suspended

Hmm. Hello! Mcfly!!!