Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Raptor fighter?

Thanks to Junkie for the link!

Silverado ZR2 concept

That rumored Ford Raptor fighter from General Motors? Not quite. The Chevrolet Silverado ZR2 Concept (it's only a concept, but some of the components could be available on future pickups) is a reasonable attempt to bring the off-road fight back to Ford, with a four-inch lift, 20-inch BBS RD wheels, BDS shocks and a 550-hp supercharged version of GM's LS crate V8. But the real work is hidden beneath the clear coat, with carbon fiber body panels replacing the steel hood and fenders. And that new fascia? Don't be surpised to see a modified version affixed to future Silverados. Check the gallery below for live shots from the floor and make the jump for Chevy's brief press release.

"At a glance, it's clear the Silverado ZR2 concept wasn't designed to haul flowers back from the nursery. With its widened body, tall stance and powerful LS supercharged engine, it is ready to hit the berms, dry washes and gullies of the Baja Peninsula.

The Silverado ZR2 is based on an extended cab/short box body. The custom bodywork includes carbon fiber fender flares that stretch outward to cover the 35-inch-tall Goodyear Wrangler off-road tires and widened stance. Much of the truck's body is made of carbon fiber, including the front fenders, extractor-style hood, rocker extensions and tailgate, which features large, debossed CHEVROLET lettering as a nod to Chevy trucks of the past.

The pickup box, which is protected with a spray-on liner, features a unique locking storage system mounted to the extruded aluminum Cargo Management System rails from Chevy Accessories.

Many of the carbon fiber parts, including the hood, are clear-coated, rather than painted, to show off the intricate weave pattern of the high-tech, lightweight material. The parts that aren't clear carbon fiber are painted Dune Metallic, a color that blends with the desert terrain. A large, more prominent grille is also part of the package and is a vision of what designers would like to see in a production or accessory part. It is very functional, feeding cool air to the 550-horsepower LS supercharged crate engine from GM Performance Parts.

The combination of 20-inch BBS RD wheels – reminiscent of historic Chevy truck wheel – and aggressive Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires connect to the chassis via BDS shocks and a four-inch lift kit to help negotiate those desert trails. The new front fascia dramatically improves approach angle and skid plates protect the chassis.

The interior features more carbon fiber details on the dash, along with black leather and suede-trimmed seats with contrasting stitching to those trail runs more comfortable.

"There's more to this concept than meets the eye," said Dewar. "Some of the components are being explored for possible inclusion in upcoming models."

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/03/s...r-wrangler-ye/
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
It would be a hard choice for me if GM built this. I really like the Raptor but at least look wise this is right there with it. I'm not too sure what good those tire's would be though.
meanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
Chocolate Apocalypse
Full Fledged Member

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Hmm, if I had to choose between the two I'd have to go with the Raptor. It just looks so much better than this. Though if Chevy actually stuffed an LSA into the production truck I think I could overlook the styling.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
I think this one looks WAY better than the Raptor!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
I like the styling and obviously the engine. The Raptor is more desert racer, where this is more trail off-roading. Tough call, I like them both.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #6
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Well this is still a concept..... I would bet its more like the Raptor (baja style) by the time its done
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
coolman

that's hot. I want one NOW!
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:54 PM   #8
fixxxer525
Account Suspended

Drives: 01S10,01CBR600,05Ducati, 10 2SS/RS
Send a message via ICQ to fixxxer525
as much as I don't like Fords, the Raptor is a 4 times better looking.
fixxxer525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #9
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
This could be a winner when running against the Raptor. Designed for off-roading, the favorite hobby of the American country truck driver, the ZR2 will steal Raptor buyers who simply need a superior build. I hope this becomes a reality.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer525 View Post
Are you sure 4? I was thinking 2 maybe 3.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:09 PM   #11
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON

Drives: 2005 Saab 9-5 2.3T
Send a message via AIM to Camaro Lives On
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer525 View Post
I agree here. I've never like the look of the Silverado... and and this isnt much better to me. Plus the tires on this are kind of skinny. I'm a Chevy guy through and through, but the Raptor is one hell of a truck IMO.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #12
1GMFanatik
Da Blue Beast

Drives: 08 Chevy TBSS
Send a message via Yahoo to 1GMFanatik
I think it looks badass.. Adding carbon fiber body parts to help with weight reduction and packing in that massive power plant and a blower to boot... Then again, I AM GM biased. lol...
1GMFanatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:50 PM   #13
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Maybe this will have a better tow rating too?
Old 11-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #14
coolman

Now this is a truck!
Attached Images