Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-03-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
WildClay

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Lazy/Busy Man Approach

After reading many threads on everything from first time washes/waxes, to long term maintainance I know myself and my schedule well enough to know there is no way I am going to be able to put in hours every weekend on my car.

I will have a 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro fairly soon and the Next Level Performance fiberglass dovetail spoiler in the same color as the car(after-market). The car also has the white center stripe and while hockey stripe, GM stock).

There are two things I am looking for, the first, even if possible without a new paint job is how to get that deep look to the shine/paint.

The second and most important thing is for someone that will at best do any kind of heavy duty washing/waxing on a monthly basis (will get touchless spray wash as needed) what would be recommended to protect my paint as best as possible.

I am a daily driver (30 miles round trip daily), garage parked at each end, in NJ so rain, snow/ice/salt is going to be part of the car exposure.

I have no issue taking it to a shop and having the right things done, but do not what that to put me in the poor house so something expensive on the first one and perhaps twice a year is ok, but not weekly or monthly.

Any suggestions for a first time end to end protection/shine job, then something like twice a year tops for reaplication that will protect the paint to a reasonable level from the road and weekly touchless spray type car washes or in my approach is everything but just getting the washes a waste on money?

I do with I had the time to put in the TLC so many I see post about, but I know I don't and want the next best thing.

Thanks!
3800 - 9/9/9 - Produced
5000 - 9/16/9 - Delivered to Dealer
6000 - 9/17/9 - Delivered to Customer

Many Thanks to CamaroScotty and a friend at GM!! Dealer and GM Customer Service at its best!
WildClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Hi!

If you're looking for a "quick", "easy", and "over the counter" product(s), I'd suggest either 'Meguires' or 'Mothers' products.

Its important that once you receive your Camaro, you give it a good bath with a good quality car wash, and then get a coat of wax/polish on it ASAP.

Being a "daily driver", wax/polish your car at the very least, twice a year. If you can find a couple of hours once a month, if not every other, its a good idea to add another coat of wax/polish, as you can never have enough protection.

For tha "wet look" you're after, both 'Meguires' and 'Mothers' offer products to achieve this. Visit an automotive store asap, and choose what works best for you.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
WildClay

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Hi!

If you're looking for a "quick", "easy", and "over the counter" product(s), I'd suggest either 'Meguires' or 'Mothers' products.

Its important that once you receive your Camaro, you give it a good bath with a good quality car wash, and then get a coat of wax/polish on it ASAP.

Being a "daily driver", wax/polish your car at the very least, twice a year. If you can find a couple of hours once a month, if not every other, its a good idea to add another coat of wax/polish, as you can never have enough protection.

For tha "wet look" you're after, both 'Meguires' and 'Mothers' offer products to achieve this. Visit an automotive store asap, and choose what works best for you.

Ed
First let me say THANK YOU for not lecturing me on how could I not wash and polish my car hourly/daily...

I think the routine you offered will fit well, 2 main qestions, is there a specific "version" of Meguires polish/wax you suggest for what I am looking for (protection/depth)? And is there a specific car wash you would suggest and I assume by car wash you mean a washing solution and not a run through a touchless car wash.

I think I have picked up enough in the rest of the thread to get the right cloths, mittens and such.

Thanks for the tips!
3800 - 9/9/9 - Produced
5000 - 9/16/9 - Delivered to Dealer
6000 - 9/17/9 - Delivered to Customer

Many Thanks to CamaroScotty and a friend at GM!! Dealer and GM Customer Service at its best!
WildClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildClay View Post
First let me say THANK YOU for not lecturing me on how could I not wash and polish my car hourly/daily...

I think the routine you offered will fit well, 2 main qestions, is there a specific "version" of Meguires polish/wax you suggest for what I am looking for (protection/depth)? And is there a specific car wash you would suggest and I assume by car wash you mean a washing solution and not a run through a touchless car wash.

I think I have picked up enough in the rest of the thread to get the right cloths, mittens and such.

Thanks for the tips!
You're very welcome!

If you're going with Meguires, I'd opt for their "Gold Class" line;
- Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo and Conditioner
- Gold Class Liquid Wax

You should be able to find these at Pep Boys, or any automotive store.

Ed
Old 09-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
And remember, if you do go with a "cleaner wax" you CAN"T put multiple
coats on, just one.
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Wax is soft, temporary and will re-crystalize and actually look dull in a week after going through hot and cold cycles.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
crzycicada

Drives: 2SS/RS/LS3
Can you use the Meguires wax on dealer installed rally stripes?

Order date: 7/17/09
3000 TPW: 8/17/09
3400 status on 8/11/09
3800: 8/21/09
4200: 8/24/09 on rail car ETTX850796
5000/6000: 9/2/09
crzycicada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:53 PM   #8
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzycicada View Post
Can you use the Meguires wax on dealer installed rally stripes?
I haven't taken a close up look at the stripes they're putting on the 5th gen. yet. But. If they have a "clear finish' on them, go ahead and wax/polish them.

My borther owned a 10th Anniversary Firehawk with factory stripes, and I put many coats of Zaino on them without any problems.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:32 PM   #9
rudack
Rudack

Drives: ABM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to rudack Send a message via MSN to rudack
Quote:
I haven't taken a close up look at the stripes they're putting on the 5th gen. yet. But. If they have a "clear finish' on them, go ahead and wax/polish them.

My borther owned a 10th Anniversary Firehawk with factory stripes, and I put many coats of Zaino on them without any problems.
I was told by my dealer to not touch the stripes with wax.
ABM 2SS/RS #33390
rudack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudack View Post
I was told by my dealer to not touch the stripes with wax.
I'll have to take a look at the stripes next time I'm up close to a 5th Gen.. If the black stripes are a "matt finish", I think I'd agree with the dealer.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
crzycicada

Drives: 2SS/RS/LS3
Quote:
I'll have to take a look at the stripes next time I'm up close to a 5th Gen.. If the black stripes are a "matt finish", I think I'd agree with the dealer.
I want to say they are a matte finish but . I don't have something to compare them to to tell! What's a good way to tell?

If they are matte and I want to say I've read in other threads that they are, what's the best way of not only protecting them but making them look as good as when you wax the car?

Anyone have any good ideas on removing superficial dust off the car? I'm hesitant to use one of those California dusters since I don't want to scrape the dust against the paint and scratch it.

Order date: 7/17/09
3000 TPW: 8/17/09
3400 status on 8/11/09
3800: 8/21/09
4200: 8/24/09 on rail car ETTX850796
5000/6000: 9/2/09

Last edited by crzycicada; 09-05-2009 at 02:43 PM.
crzycicada is offline   Reply With Quote