Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 02-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #57
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
And Headers are off the table. Instead I got my Serp belt/AC belt replaced, Right signal/running lamp socket replaced because it literally burned up/melted, and had my oil changed while it was up on the lift.

Damage: $300 bucks because the socket was more of a PITA than anyone thought.

Now that the car actually runs great again, plans have changed. Need to stash 250 for my A&P, leaving me probably another 250 for.. nothing.
you can get some used headers for cheap. doesn't have to be brand new.

and who the hell did you pay $300 to to fix a melted socket?
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #58
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Drives: 2011 SS, 1998 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post

x2...It takes 30 minutes max to do it by yourself with a soldering iron. Pigtail is only $9, and even if the housing was melted it's only ~$30 and simple to remove.

As for headers he's right, ask BullDogWinters.
xXSilencerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #59
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post

Tried, most I can find are around 350 shipped if they're willing. None of the guys around here I know know of any available either so I'm gonna hold out for what I want: TSP 1 7/8ths and a Y, Bosch O2s, tune all at the same time.

Ironically, the socket itself is almost 60 bucks (I went up market and we backtracked the wiring for good measure because it was on the accident side). After the fiasco I had with my honda (turn signal repair turned into an entire wiring harness replacement!) trying to repair that wiring I just said f'k it and let the pros do it. Not fun or easy since getting to that f'kin running lamp/turn signal socket is a bitch and having to cut/solder it out ain't a picnic either.

Also had 'em toss on a new serp belt and AC belt while it was up in the air. 180 bucks in parts all together (requested gatorbacks and got 'em). Think it was close to 90 to do the socket, 70 bucks labor for the belts because it I said f'k it, 80 bucks for the belts themselves (50/30) and I tossed my oil change in the back and they just tossed that in there with a disposal fee for my old oil (BS labor number we agreed on).

I take my car to this shop all the time and that's why I wanted them to do the belts right (no exp doing the belts myself and I didn't want to **** that up) as well as the socket. Oil change was just being put off because I had a suspect leak that turned out to be nothing major.

ON the flip side, found a possible buyer for my 2 16x8s that survived the wreck. An OEM wheel supplier out of detroit that a few buddies of mine have done work with before. May do a straight trade toward a '96 WS6 orphan wheel they've got (weird ass silver paint/machine lip job). Buddy up there knows someone with three (4th was damaged by curb rash) and may cut me a deal. Could get the wheels within 250 bucks when all is said and done. Do a CETA-like wheel that's powdercoated satin black/gold lip instead of gloss. Fit up some custom 3rd gen center cap emblems on some blanks from Roush.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #60
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Tried, most I can find are around 350 shipped if they're willing. None of the guys around here I know know of any available either so I'm gonna hold out for what I want: TSP 1 7/8ths and a Y, Bosch O2s, tune all at the same time.
Beggars can't be choosers.

You will not notice a difference between TSP headers, Hooker headers, Pacesetters, etc. 1 HP on a dyno doesnt mean squat. I had hooker LT's shipped to my door for $365.00. and that was nearly 10 years ago. You are either looking in the wrong places or not enough places.

Ironically, the socket itself is almost 60 bucks (I went up market and we backtracked the wiring for good measure because it was on the accident side). After the fiasco I had with my honda (turn signal repair turned into an entire wiring harness replacement!) trying to repair that wiring I just said f'k it and let the pros do it. Not fun or easy since getting to that f'kin running lamp/turn signal socket is a bitch and having to cut/solder it out ain't a picnic either.

I'm sure if you buy it from the dealer or from the repair shop, the socket is 60 bucks. no junkyards up there in the mid west?

Also had 'em toss on a new serp belt and AC belt while it was up in the air. 180 bucks in parts all together (requested gatorbacks and got 'em). Think it was close to 90 to do the socket, 70 bucks labor for the belts because it I said f'k it, 80 bucks for the belts themselves (50/30) and I tossed my oil change in the back and they just tossed that in there with a disposal fee for my old oil (BS labor number we agreed on).

change your own damn belts and oil. take the oil to autozone and dispose of it for free. you might as well just throw your money out the window as you are driving down the road.

I take my car to this shop all the time and that's why I wanted them to do the belts right (no exp doing the belts myself and I didn't want to **** that up) as well as the socket. Oil change was just being put off because I had a suspect leak that turned out to be nothing major.
DUDE!!! COME ON!!!

The A/C belt, I can understand not wanting to mess with it. but the main belt? you need one wratchet, or a breaker bar to release the tensioner.

did you buy a new tensioner while you were at it?

ON the flip side, found a possible buyer for my 2 16x8s that survived the wreck. An OEM wheel supplier out of detroit that a few buddies of mine have done work with before. May do a straight trade toward a '96 WS6 orphan wheel they've got (weird ass silver paint/machine lip job). Buddy up there knows someone with three (4th was damaged by curb rash) and may cut me a deal. Could get the wheels within 250 bucks when all is said and done. Do a CETA-like wheel that's powdercoated satin black/gold lip instead of gloss. Fit up some custom 3rd gen center cap emblems on some blanks from Roush.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 02-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #61
Bulldogwinters
SS #2431

Drives: 2001 Pewter Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSilencerXx View Post
x2...It takes 30 minutes max to do it by yourself with a soldering iron. Pigtail is only $9, and even if the housing was melted it's only ~$30 and simple to remove.

As for headers he's right, ask BullDogWinters.
I paid 20 bucks... 10 for header paint.. so 30 bucks total

2001 SS Lid, LT's, 3" Y to 4" Borla XR-1 dumped, LCA, LCA Brackets, Dbl. Adj. Panhard, Subframe Connectors, Shock Tower Brace, Eibach Prokit, Eddlebrock Shocks, C6 ZR1 Wheels 18x9.5
Bulldogwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #62
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
I paid 20 bucks... 10 for header paint.. so 30 bucks total
Unfortunately I haven't found a deal like that yet. Passed up a flowtech 1 3/4 and pacesetter Y setup for 200 but my money situation wasn't solid. Now that it is oh well.

Spike: Its my dd, kinda need to do it right the first time be it costing me money or no. That 300 was a hard schlong to swallow for simple stupid shit.

Belts - I had no access to the shop for the past 2 and next month. I'm barred from working like that in my parents garage because they're lovey dovey with hoa and all that shit. No friends with a local shop either as an alternate

Oil- See above, I'd have changed the oil already if not for that.

Socket- no f bodies here.. Srsly..

So I had to eat it. Tensioner was fine so we left it alone. I'll get a good one down the road when I do an underdrive. Am I gonna DIY next time? Yeah, when I don't have people bitching about me even painting in the garage..
Old 02-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #63
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Quote:
Unfortunately I haven't found a deal like that yet. Passed up a flowtech 1 3/4 and pacesetter Y setup for 200 but my money situation wasn't solid. Now that it is oh well.

Spike: Its my dd, kinda need to do it right the first time be it costing me money or no. That 300 was a hard schlong to swallow for simple stupid shit.

Belts - I had no access to the shop for the past 2 and next month. I'm barred from working like that in my parents garage because they're lovey dovey with hoa and all that shit. No friends with a local shop either as an alternate

So I had to eat it. Tensioner was fine so we left it alone. I'll get a good one down the road when I do an underdrive. Am I gonna DIY next time? Yeah, when I don't have people bitching about me even painting in the garage..
Lol I don't think they'd be able to find you in the time it takes to do the belt. If you got a lid you don't have to remove anything to get to them. You just need a decent sized ratchet and 15 mm socket. I can get to both of em from the top. If they give you trouble tell em to shove it.

You're talking about the socket that the running light/turn signal plugs into right? If you go to Advance, Autozone or any other parts store they'll have it for $8.99. I did mine myself, the wires are long enough that you can pull them out through the hole in the bumper and solder them there.

For the headers you just gotta be patient for somebody like me who had ARH's and was just trying to get rid of the headers. haha
Old 02-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #64
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Lol I don't think they'd be able to find you in the time it takes to do the belt. If you got a lid you don't have to remove anything to get to them. You just need a decent sized ratchet and 15 mm socket. I can get to both of em from the top. If they give you trouble tell em to shove it.

You're talking about the socket that the running light/turn signal plugs into right? If you go to Advance, Autozone or any other parts store they'll have it for $8.99. I did mine myself, the wires are long enough that you can pull them out through the hole in the bumper and solder them there.

For the headers you just gotta be patient for somebody like me who had ARH's and was just trying to get rid of the headers. haha
Nah, socket was the dual filament running lamp/turn signal socket, not the marker lamp. Totally fried. New part was either 34 for a cheapo chinese POS or the AC Delco beefy one at 56 bucks from Advance Auto. I went Delco because I didn't feel like getting in there to replace it again.. and again.

In other news, buyer for my wheels backed out because they weren't 'perfect' or whatnot. OEM wheel reseller. So now I'm gonna just scrap the f'kers unless someone here wants some 16x8s for slicks. Get .50 for 'em and use the left over 250 I've got from taxes on my loans. No mods this year. Gonna do Headers and a Y in one shot since I can't mate 'em up to my stock Y pipe. Cat delete and use Bosch O2s to get some slack on the harness.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #65
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Quote:
Nah, socket was the dual filament running lamp/turn signal socket, not the marker lamp. Totally fried. New part was either 34 for a cheapo chinese POS or the AC Delco beefy one at 56 bucks from Advance Auto. I went Delco because I didn't feel like getting in there to replace it again.. and again.

In other news, buyer for my wheels backed out because they weren't 'perfect' or whatnot. OEM wheel reseller. So now I'm gonna just scrap the f'kers unless someone here wants some 16x8s for slicks. Get .50 for 'em and use the left over 250 I've got from taxes on my loans. No mods this year. Gonna do Headers and a Y in one shot since I can't mate 'em up to my stock Y pipe. Cat delete and use Bosch O2s to get some slack on the harness.

That's what I'm talking about. It's P/N 85881 at the parts store.

How much you looking for the wheels? I might be interested if I can scrounge up some extra cash.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #66
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
That's what I'm talking about. It's P/N 85881 at the parts store.

How much you looking for the wheels? I might be interested if I can scrounge up some extra cash.
This was what I replaced:

I'd let 'em go for 125, but I don't want to ship 'em.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #67
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Yep that's the piece, $7.99 per Autozone's website.

Yea shipping is probably more hassle than they are worth.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #68
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Yup, autozone didn't have em I'm their computers anymore here. Only place that had em under 60 was advance auto. The china crap and ac delco. Stuck with delco.

As for the rims I don't blame ya. May not even be worth the gas to get em to a yard. Put an apb out for headers so blah..
Old 02-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #69
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Update: Someone found a NIB TSP ORY for 110 shipped. And maybe some ebay headers? Rice ball TARUANS AMU!

I be insane..
Old 02-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #70
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:

HOA can't fine you or prevent you from making emergency repairs (ie changing a faulty belt or replacing signal lights). If they try to, take them to court.

you have no access to a wal mart parking lot? you do realize how simple it is to change your belt right? not trying to be a jerk, but man you are bringing your own troubles on yourself.

and yes, I've changed my oil in a Napa parking lot... numerous times.

I understand the car is your DD, but at the same time, you can make temp repairs that you may have to check once a week till you get it properly fixed and save yourself some money and hassle.

I used to carry a set of drive up ramps with me in the 94Z all the time because my header bolts kept backing out and I didn't want to spend the coin to buy stage 8 locking bolts.

I could give you a laundry list of shit that I've jerry-rigged on my cars to make due until I had time to properly fix it because I hate the thought of wasting money paying someone to do something that I can do for free.

Quote:

I've got a Pacesetter Xpipe sitting in my storage locker. Have you put your stuff up for sale on LS1tech or Z28.com?

Quote:
Update: Someone found a NIB TSP ORY for 110 shipped. And maybe some ebay headers? Rice ball TARUANS AMU!

I be insane..
GL

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote: