Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #43
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI Racing Kevin View Post
The engine in your Camaro is an interference engine, so if the timing chain goes you can do considerable damage.
Yep .

ALSO NEVER INSTALL AN UNDERDRIVE ON ANY LS3 OR L99.
YOU WILL FAIL A TIMING CHAIN ,YOU WILL FAIL THE TENSIONER.
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #44
Otto8

Drives: Sotto
Anyone considered machining a tensioner out of better material, such as Duratron PAI?

http://www.quadrantplastics.com/eu-e...ron-R-pai.html

Or machining the tensioner from steel and cutting down the stock plastic piece so it slots into a steel backed tensioner that will not brake.

I want to get a LS3 crate engine in the future for a conversion project, but I would not run it untill a better engineered tensioner is available, or untill I make my own. Apart from that tensioner the LS3 is my favourite engine, who needs overhead cams and variable valve timing rubbish, I hate over-complicated European engines.

Last edited by Otto8; 04-30-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Otto8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #45
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto8 View Post
Anyone considered machining a tensioner out of better material, such as Duratron PAI?

http://www.quadrantplastics.com/eu-e...ron-R-pai.html

Or machining the tensioner from steel and cutting down the stock plastic piece so it slots inot a steel backed tensioner that will not brake.

I want to get a LS3 crate engine in the future for a conversion project, but I would not run it untill a better engineered tensioner is available, or untill I make my own. Apart from that tensioner the LS3 is my favourite engine, who needs overhead cams and variable valve timing rubbish, I hate over-complicated European engines.
Just get the dogbone from LS2 and be done with it.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #46
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
Yep .

ALSO NEVER INSTALL AN UNDERDRIVE ON ANY LS3 OR L99.
YOU WILL FAIL A TIMING CHAIN ,YOU WILL FAIL THE TENSIONER.

Why do you say this? Has it happened regularly?
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #47
palmdog

Drives: 2010 camaro SS
Another timing chain tensioner found broken

Doing a JRE rough idle cam swap this week and when I took off the timing chain cover I found a broken piece of plastic with my spring about to fall into my oil pan... Bummer. Haven't been on the web site for some time now but figured I would add my name to those that have found the same problem. 2010 Camaro has 28K on it, with basically JRE's street brawler package on it.. On the bright side,, I just justified my cam upgrade with my find.... well thats what I told the wife......
palmdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:20 AM   #48
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
It's common knowledge on here to do the ls2 damper and c5r chain with a swap. It's also selectable choices when selecting a cam on Jannetty's site. For the price you'd be crazy not to do it. Gravedigger..
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #49
palmdog

Drives: 2010 camaro SS
Well its funny you say that. When I ordered the cam package I asked about including the chain and tensioner and was told to hold off unless I found something wrong.. well I should have stuck with my gut. Kinda like when you replace a timing belt on a honda and don't change the water pump while your also under the timing cover. Pay me now or pay me later kinda thing...
palmdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #50
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmdog View Post
Doing a JRE rough idle cam swap this week and when I took off the timing chain cover I found a broken piece of plastic with my spring about to fall into my oil pan... Bummer. Haven't been on the web site for some time now but figured I would add my name to those that have found the same problem. 2010 Camaro has 28K on it, with basically JRE's street brawler package on it.. On the bright side,, I just justified my cam upgrade with my find.... well thats what I told the wife......
Did you have a underdrive pulley?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #51
1Camaro2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Got my C5R chain and LS2 dampener in with my cam swap. Kept the stock pulley. Not worth the $$ IMO.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:43 PM   #52
Mikes2nd

Drives: 1970 Pontiac GTO
wait... you should go back to the ls2 gears with the ls2 dampeners.

the ls3 gears allow the chain to sit deeper.

http://apicdn.viglink.com/api/click?...%26pc%3DMALNJS
Mikes2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #53
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Man... This thread is freaking me out. I have a 2010 SS with only a year left of the factory warranty. However, I do have an extended dealer warranty that I bought that covers me for 4 years. I made sure that the timing chain was part of that list of parts covered on the warranty.

But, is this something I can just have my dealer inspect? In other words, can I roll up there tomorrow and ask that my timing chain and tensioner be checked out to see if they're looking good? I'm headed up there tomorrow morning to get my ABS reprogrammed, so could I get them to look at that stuff, too? Sorry for the noob question, I don't know a whole heck of a lot about major mechanical stuff.

If it makes any difference, I don't race my SS at the track. I have some fun doing spirited driving here and there, but I drive it pretty normally, I'd say. It has 6,000 miles, all stock except for DMH cutouts, which don't effect anything, really...
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:39 AM   #54
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEL View Post
Man... This thread is freaking me out. I have a 2010 SS with only a year left of the factory warranty. However, I do have an extended dealer warranty that I bought that covers me for 4 years. I made sure that the timing chain was part of that list of parts covered on the warranty.

But, is this something I can just have my dealer inspect? In other words, can I roll up there tomorrow and ask that my timing chain and tensioner be checked out to see if they're looking good? I'm headed up there tomorrow morning to get my ABS reprogrammed, so could I get them to look at that stuff, too? Sorry for the noob question, I don't know a whole heck of a lot about major mechanical stuff.

If it makes any difference, I don't race my SS at the track. I have some fun doing spirited driving here and there, but I drive it pretty normally, I'd say. It has 6,000 miles, all stock except for DMH cutouts, which don't effect anything, really...
Go get your warranty money back, warranties are for honduhs and subaloosers. Go in there and check it out for yourself and then replace it with a dampner.
If not then no I'm afraid you can't just go have them do that.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #55
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Go get your warranty money back, warranties are for honduhs and subaloosers. Go in there and check it out for yourself and then replace it with a dampner.
If not then no I'm afraid you can't just go have them do that.
I've already used that warranty and I've only had my SS since September. I don't have a lot of spare money for repairs, so the warranty is a must for me.
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #56
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Well you can try, see what they say.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote