Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
trcsr

Drives: 2018 2LT/RS Conv
Smile Experiences and Advice needed on CAI

I want to install a CAI on my '13 V6. Before I invest $300 or so in one I would like to hear from others about what make they have, how it performs, and how easy or hard it was to install. As a mechanic I would say that I am intermediate in knowledge, but not as physically capable due to age. Should I get someone to install it for me, or is it simple enough to install that I could probably do it or should I look for a mechanic to do it for me? I have looked at ads for a variety of makes like K&N, Apex, etc. but would like a little guidance from those who have done this mod. Thanks for any input.
trcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
DRK NY8

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
I have a CAI brand cold air intake on my 14 SS. I am a 1/10 when it comes to doing DIY things and I was able to install my own intake. As far as CAI as a brand goes, it is a reputable brand and does improve performance of the vehicle. Of course, this is just my opinion on the intake and its food for thought for you
Old 10-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Another CAI owner on a '14 SS. Very simple to install with one exception: Do not tighten down the air box until you have it's leading edge engaged with engine bay sheetmetl.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #4
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
I have a K&N intake and I must say it was pretty simple to install and I don't have much knowledge either. If you read through the steps you should be able to install it within an hour just make sure you have the right tools to get the job done before starting. After installation I couldn't be anymore happier with it. It all comes down to how much you would like to pay and what brand you want.
Ace0751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #5
Dennis Northwest

Drives: 16 1SS A8 NPP
I did the CAI brand on my 2SS. I have basic mechanic skills and the installation was easy. It took me a little over two hours but I took my time and reread the instructions often. I would highly recommend the CAI brand.
Dennis Northwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #6
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
So you're having trouble with the car (in another thread) and you want to throw money at it on other stuff?
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
So you're having trouble with the car (in another thread) and you want to throw money at it on other stuff?
I think his problem is with the dealer's service department--not the car itself. He stated he didn't even want to consider replacing the car, just wanted the problems (which seemed relatively minor) resolved in an orderly, professional manner (my words and interpretation) and with minimal (zero) return for the same issue.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #8
trcsr

Drives: 2018 2LT/RS Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT Impala View Post
I think his problem is with the dealer's service department--not the car itself. He stated he didn't even want to consider replacing the car, just wanted the problems (which seemed relatively minor) resolved in an orderly, professional manner (my words and interpretation) and with minimal (zero) return for the same issue.
Part of the problem definitely was with the dealers service dept. and they told me that Chev. told them to remove my Curb Alert as it was an aftermarket device not approved by GM and, apparently did not give them much trouble shooting information. The last two trips were to another dealer and I think I will continue with them as I have more confidence in their service dept. Thanks for the comments RJT Impala, but I don't consider the two main problems relatively minor. With the BCM problem I had to call OnStar to get into the car several times and I could not depend on the TPMS. The other problem I also do not consider relatively minor because; 1) I paid extra for a convertible and should be able to expect the top to go down when I want it to, and 2) on one occasion (fortunately in the dealers lot) the top went up about 4 or 5 inches and froze. If that would have happened out someplace I would have had to drive to the dealer at a very slow speed to keep from tearing it up.

And, yes enzia35, I still want to continue to throw money at it because I like the car and want to keep it, I just want the problems solved correctly and in a timely manner
trcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #9
firedruish

Installed a CAI on my 11 lt2 and wow what an improvement. I can't wait to get the $ and put it on my 14 2SS.

I am a women..and not mechanical. Took me thirty minutes and loved every second driving there after. Is it worth it...I saw such improvement that it paid for itself in 6 months on my mpg increase alone.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:55 PM   #10
djcfuzz
Do somethin fun every day

Drives: 2012 45th V6 RS M6
My CAI cold air was easy to install and I have been very happy with it.
djcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:59 PM   #11
DP Valentino

Drives: 2010 CGM Chevrolet Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post

DP Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:04 PM   #12
ntmad8tr
Music City Camaro Club

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Spring Special Edition
CAI inc, installed on my SS and it was easy and works great.
EMC(SS) USN RET. 2014 2SS Spring Special Edition,1 of 293. Cold Air Inc. CAI,Apex Catch Can, Kooks 1-7/8" headers, Kooks HF Cats, X-pipe, Kooks mufflers,Graphite, BMR Toe links, BMR rear trailing arms, MRR228s,RGB ORACLE Colorshift Halos, RGB LED Engine bay and Grille lighting, Diode Dynamics RGB Fog Lights. NightOwl LED control system. Painted engine cover by S.L. Customs. River Cities Creations painted strut brace. My Build Thread
ntmad8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:01 PM   #13
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
G5CR on mine, easy install, works great.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:40 AM   #14
HeLLDaFieL

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 2SS
I installed mine, with no problems, just take your time and follow the instructions. Just the windshield wiper reservoir bothers the hell out of me every time I look at it. lol
Attached Images

HeLLDaFieL is offline   Reply With Quote