Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-01-2008, 05:21 PM   #29
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
I am giving my wife my Speed6 and getting a Camaro 2SS/RS. I bought a 99 Silverado for $8000 to use when I need to haul things. It all comes down to what you really want. I got rid of my 98 SS for a 2002 Silverado about 5 years ago and now I am going back to what I really want - the SS.
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #30
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
Take my advice...get what is most enjoyable to drive. After 20 cars I've realized the only vehicles I truly miss were the fun drivers. This Camaro is going to give me some much needed peace of mind. Currently my little crossover Suzuki is making life miserable.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #31
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Why the hate towards the Avalanche? To follow the logic of 'if you need a truck, buy a real truck' to its ultimate conclusion, there should be no midsized trucks, or 1/2 tons or 3/4 tons. They should all be 1 ton diesels with dullys, or bigger. The Avalanche is essentially a Silverado crew cab with a short box and a midgate to extend the length of the box. And unless someone needs to haul lots of loose gravel or dirt, or needs to take 4 or more people to pick up things like plywood, how is it so much less useful than a silverado 1500?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:24 PM   #32
mcernik

Drives: Rally Yellow SS/RS VIN # 3931
Yeah and in addition to the above ^^^^

I have put too much tonage of gravel in the back of my Avalanche bed, I don't see how a say Silverado 1500 would allow me to haul any more, they are both half ton trucks. (Don't say get a 3/4 because they make 3/4 Av's too :P )

On top of that lets see you get a 10 sheets of plywood, mdf, or any 8ft lumber in the back of a standard bed pickup truck in a rain storm and keep it dry. I just have to drop the mid gate, slide it in, close the tailgate and wala. With a standard bed pickup, you would A. have to tie the crap down so it doesn't slide out the back, and B. If you don't have a cap, it would get soaked.

AVALANCHE - most versatile vehicle made, period..

Last edited by mcernik; 12-02-2008 at 11:27 AM.
mcernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #33
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcernik View Post

I have put too much tonage of gravel in the back of my Avalanche bed, I don't see how a say Silverado 1500 would allow me to haul any more, they are both half ton trucks. (Don't say get a 3/4 because they make 3/4 Av's too :P )

On top of that lets see you get a 10 sheets of plywood, mdf, or any 8ft lumber in the back of a standard bed pickup truck in a rain storm and keep it dry. I just have to drop the mid gate, slide it in, close the tailgate and wala. With a standard bed pickup, you would A. have to tie the crap down so it doesn't slide out the back, and B. If you don't have a cap, it would get soaked.

AVALANCHE - most versatile vehicle main, period..
Gee, I can get 30 sheets of full length sheetrock or plywood in my 15 series van and keep it dry along with three people. And if I open the door in the wall between cargo and cab I can get 12' material in there and still shut the rear doors. I've dealt with short bed pickups enough over the years that IMHO they are worthless for my needs. If an Avalanche works for your needs, that's great, but I wouldn't have one (unless it was after I retire in a few years and don't need maximum capacity anymore).
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:57 PM   #34
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcernik View Post

AVALANCHE - most versatile vehicle main, period..

Haha my parents have a 97 1500 Express and it's not even funny the stuff they've hauled in that van...
Old 12-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #35
Optimus Prime

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Wow! Quite a lot of feedback. Thanks guys! At this point, I'm still waiting anyway. And as some of you have said, ideally, I'd love to have both, but finances just don't permit it. And I don't really understand the "not a truck" logic about the Avalanche either. It's big, has TONS of cargo space, not to mention you have the option, something other trucks don't give, of how much space is available to you. On top of that, and something I haven't experienced in other trucks, is the handling. That 7,000-lb Avalanche handles like a very nice sedan. I was extremely impressed.

Anyway, all that aside, I'm kinda leaning to what those of you are saying about the fun factor. The Avalanche has a lot going for it, but we all know the Camaro will be loads more fun! And of course, it'll have a bit of cargo/passenger space as well. I'm just ready to get out of my Cobalt. It's a great car in some aspects, but it's just too small for a 6-foot, 215-lb guy like myself...

What's hard for me is the wait!! I'm probably not getting a Camaro until mid- to late- 2009. I'd like to see if the asking prices will go down next year. But I'm so ready for it now!

Former garage: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS 6M
2011 Avalanche LT
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:05 PM   #36
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
I'm just ready to get out of my Cobalt.

Can't wait to get out of mine too... IF you don't need the utility then it's an easy answer. Camaro.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #37
VICTORY RED 1SS
booyaah

Drives: VICTORY RED 1SS
Avalanche's are ugly. Avalanches kill squirrels. Avalanches hurt trees. Avalanches are cold. Avalanches bury stuff. Only St. Bernards like avalanches because they can deliver hot chocolate to buried skiiers and mountain climbers.
Camaro's are your best friend. Camaro's attract hot women. Camaro's sound good. Camaro's attract hot women. Camaro's look awesome. Camaro's attract hot women. Camaro's are hot. Camaro's attract hot women...Camaro's attract hot women.
VICTORY RED 1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:03 PM   #38
Nickdago

Drives: 01 Z06 08 CTS 07 Avy LTZ
I have an 07 Avy bought in Nov07 got a great deal, best truck I have ever owned. This will haoul anything you might need especially if you take the window and crossmember out under the window. Even without the midgate lowered you can leave the tailgate down and easily haul 8ft lumber. As far as ride it might as well be a Cadillac and the interior on the LTZ is incredible. This is every bit a truck as well as a smooth as silk SUV. You can not go wrong with your owm Avalanche. Best bet is to get both, I plan on looking at the Camaro when it comes out but no way I would get rid if the AVY. Go to this website to find out more about the Chevy Avalanche http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com...oard,58.0.html
Nickdago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #39
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Just wanted to remind everyone that the late-build GMT-800 Avalanches no longer had plastic cladding. The current GMT-900 Avalanches do not have plastic cladding either.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #40
Nickdago

Drives: 01 Z06 08 CTS 07 Avy LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
Wow! Quite a lot of feedback. Thanks guys! At this point, I'm still waiting anyway. And as some of you have said, ideally, I'd love to have both, but finances just don't permit it. And I don't really understand the "not a truck" logic about the Avalanche either. It's big, has TONS of cargo space, not to mention you have the option, something other trucks don't give, of how much space is available to you. On top of that, and something I haven't experienced in other trucks, is the handling. That 7,000-lb Avalanche handles like a very nice sedan. I was extremely impressed.

Anyway, all that aside, I'm kinda leaning to what those of you are saying about the fun factor. The Avalanche has a lot going for it, but we all know the Camaro will be loads more fun! And of course, it'll have a bit of cargo/passenger space as well. I'm just ready to get out of my Cobalt. It's a great car in some aspects, but it's just too small for a 6-foot, 215-lb guy like myself...

What's hard for me is the wait!! I'm probably not getting a Camaro until mid- to late- 2009. I'd like to see if the asking prices will go down next year. But I'm so ready for it now!
I'll bet you can get a really good deal right now on an 08 Avalanche.
Nickdago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #41
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickdago View Post
I'll bet you can get a really good deal right now on an 08 Avalanche.
Yeah...try $5,000 off an '08 model.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #42
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
to the OP, do you need a utility vehicle?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote