Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 11-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
SUNSET

Drives: black ZL1
Track questions

Hey guys,

For those of you who track your car, I am looking for some input

I am by no means an expert...strictly an amateur who does this for fun

However, on the last few outings, I am absolutely struggling to stay in my seat. After the last 2 days, my abs, calves and thighs are actually hurting from fighting to stay in position. I find myself drastically leaning into the turn and bracing my legs against either the door or the center area.

I also feel like there is quite a bit of sway in the corners. I know the car is somewhat tall and perhaps this is just a subjective feeling. Given the contorted positions I am in, it may be completely off base too. I am running the PTSM program mode 3.

Has anyone installed a harness or different seats or both?

How about some of the lowering systems? Does that change the cornering dynamics?

Thanks!

Eugene
SUNSET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
My advice, relax and trust your hands and eyes...., try mode 5 if you haven't yet...don't rush it and take it slowly to get comfortable with the different operating ranges of the car... and most of all....may the Force be with you... <I've been watching too many Star Wars episodes on Spike TV marathon.>
Old 11-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
I weigh about 175lbs and don't have a lot of trouble staying in the seat. When you track you should scoot the seat up closer than on the street. That may help. And do you brace yourself with left foot on the "dead pedal"? Beyond that, sounds like you may like a harness in your car. Then you can can concentrate on driving and not worry about holding yourself in place.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
firecross91

Drives: ZL1 #1691 Black on black.
Haven't tracked mine yet but did some "spirited driving" with some friends in Ontario. Didn't notice any "moving around". However I will be buying a Corbeau 2" 3 point harness.
firecross91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:56 AM   #5
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNSET View Post
Hey guys,

However, on the last few outings, I am absolutely struggling to stay in my seat. After the last 2 days, my abs, calves and thighs are actually hurting from fighting to stay in position. I find myself drastically leaning into the turn and bracing my legs against either the door or the center area.

I also feel like there is quite a bit of sway in the corners. I know the car is somewhat tall and perhaps this is just a subjective feeling. Given the contorted positions I am in, it may be completely off base too. I am running the PTSM program mode 3.

How about some of the lowering systems? Does that change the cornering dynamics?

Thanks!

Eugene
Put your seat in the position you will be driving on the track. Then move it back about 4", tighten your seat belt all the way down removing any slack so it's locked. Then slide your seat forward back to original position. This really helps secure you in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecross91 View Post
Haven't tracked mine yet but did some "spirited driving" with some friends in Ontario. Didn't notice any "moving around". However I will be buying a Corbeau 2" 3 point harness.
Spirited driving and tracking are completely different. The Constant G force is very hard and tiring on the body if not properly seated.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:18 AM   #6
SUNSET

Drives: black ZL1
Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I have not noticed at all in regular driving and it was not even much of an issue that last few track days when I was not really pushing too hard. This latest event, I tried to push harder than usual and was really fighting the g force. Sliding around is probably an exaggeration but I did not fell secure in the seat and was bracing myself every way I could think of just to stay in a good position. The first day I was just a little sore...today I can really feel it. FYI : the track is only 1.5 miles with 14 turns in fairly rapid fire since there is a long straight runway.

69NMYSS: Thanks! I had heard of that tip but could not get it to work. I had a hard time getting the locking mechanism to engage and then when I tried to adjust I guess I would lose a little tension and it would just unlock again. I must be doing something wrong.

At this point, I may just get a 5 point harness installed.
SUNSET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #7
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I have not noticed at all in regular driving and it was not even much of an issue that last few track days when I was not really pushing too hard. This latest event, I tried to push harder than usual and was really fighting the g force. Sliding around is probably an exaggeration but I did not fell secure in the seat and was bracing myself every way I could think of just to stay in a good position. The first day I was just a little sore...today I can really feel it. FYI : the track is only 1.5 miles with 14 turns in fairly rapid fire since there is a long straight runway.

69NMYSS: Thanks! I had heard of that tip but could not get it to work. I had a hard time getting the locking mechanism to engage and then when I tried to adjust I guess I would lose a little tension and it would just unlock again. I must be doing something wrong.

At this point, I may just get a 5 point harness installed.
If you plan on continue track use, A 5 or at least 3 point isHIGHLY recommended and will absolutely give you more confidence and greatly reduce fatigue. Get ready, as you know it is very addicitng and not cheap. I have 5k miles on mine with 8 track sessions and I need new pads, front rotors, and all new tires. Not easy on the wallet, but worth every penny.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:59 AM   #8
hairtrigger

Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
You can beat yourself up with your driving style.
Imagine a ball in a big bowl on your hood which will stay in the bowl up to 1.5g
If you jerk and drive roughly and exceed that g force and you loose the ball then it's your jerky driving that's beating you up.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
firecross91

Drives: ZL1 #1691 Black on black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
Put your seat in the position you will be driving on the track. Then move it back about 4", tighten your seat belt all the way down removing any slack so it's locked. Then slide your seat forward back to original position. This really helps secure you in.

Spirited driving and tracking are completely different. The Constant G force is very hard and tiring on the body if not properly seated.
I agree that on the track higher G's can be achieved. I'm also looking at a harness bar for a 5 point system. Would like to see pics of somebody with this and to know how easy it is to get into the back seat with this inplace.
firecross91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
Heavy D

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks!

Eugene
I haven't had that experience with the seats yet at the track, but from prior experience, I do think 5 point harnesses hold anyone in a lot better.

I wonder if it is a size issue with regard to the seats? I am 6'2", 245 pounds, so there isn't a lot of room for me to move anyway, and I found the side bolstering suprisingly supportive, and I was consistently pulling over 1 g. I agree with the comments elsewhere in the thread that it helps to sit a bit closer for real track work.

-Sean
Heavy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
gmgdave

Drives: 12 ZL1 & 08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
I have tracked my cars for years and I do not want to put in an harness. I use the CG-Lock on the seat belt http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html It attaches to the stock seat belt and allows you to tighten the lapbelt so you but does not move. I reallt like it and it stays in all the time and I even pull it tight when street driving.
2012 ZL1 - #413 - IOM - Mods; Exhaust Commander. GMG Third Brake Light Pulsar, Tinted Windows, color matched Engine cover, ZL1 Floor Mats
gmgdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #12
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairtrigger View Post
You can beat yourself up with your driving style.
Imagine a ball in a big bowl on your hood which will stay in the bowl up to 1.5g
If you jerk and drive roughly and exceed that g force and you loose the ball then it's your jerky driving that's beating you up.
Correct, learning how to cut an apex on a particular track will mean a MUCH smoother drive.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #13
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmgdave View Post
I have tracked my cars for years and I do not want to put in an harness. I use the CG-Lock on the seat belt http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html It attaches to the stock seat belt and allows you to tighten the lapbelt so you but does not move. I reallt like it and it stays in all the time and I even pull it tight when street driving.
This. And try looking up the angelwing pads. Angelwingstech.com
Old 11-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #14
james347

Drives: 2006 Crownline
Hit Golden Corral Buffet at least once a day, put on the weight and you will 'squish' into your seat and not budge.

If that doesn't work for ya, try a five point racing harness.
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote