Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-01-2007, 03:07 PM   #1
Dark Knight
Does it come in BLACK?

Drives: 2001 FIREBIRD (for now!!)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dark Knight
Camaro ls3 news...true or false?

Ok over on ls1tech a guy posted that he was told by an insider that the ls3 will not be in the camaro until 2010. for 2009 it will be the ls2. Whether this is true or not i don't know...but it got me thinking!

If it is true how many of you would still buy one in 09?? Personally me i would probably get one because the ls2 is nothing to sneeze at! Those 05-06 GTO owners would probably agree with me.

Good things come to those who wait
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
I'm relatively sure it has been CONFIRMED that the LS2 is out of production and NOT being made anymore.

I'd take it with a grain of salt. I could see believing that the LS3 may not be in the first-year model, but I'd believe it would be a L76?? (the 376 hp motor) before believing that the LS2 is not going away.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:33 PM   #3
Dark Knight
Does it come in BLACK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
I'm relatively sure it has been CONFIRMED that the LS2 is out of production and NOT being made anymore.

I'd take it with a grain of salt. I could see believing that the LS3 may not be in the first-year model, but I'd believe it would be a L76?? (the 376 hp motor) before believing that the LS2 is not going away.
you may be right...BUT the ls2 is in the G8. Why put it in a new car if your just gonna get rid of it? doesn't really make much sense to me.

on a side note..check out the music on the G8 website....the camaro website needed that instead of what it got! Kicks ass whoever it is!
http://www.pontiac.com/g8/

Old 08-01-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
91redchevy

Drives: '13 2ss rs 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
you may be right...BUT the ls2 is in the G8. Why put it in a new car if your just gonna get rid of it? doesn't really make much sense to me.

on a side note..check out the music on the G8 website....the camaro website needed that instead of what it got! Kicks ass whoever it is!
http://www.pontiac.com/g8/
The G8 doesn't get the LS2, the GT will have the L76@362hp. Don't know where
you heard your news but they aren't correct. I still think the camaro will have a
base L76 then step up to LS3, may not have both at launch but it will happen
Old 08-01-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
Dark Knight
Does it come in BLACK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91redchevy View Post
The G8 doesn't get the LS2, the GT will have the L76@362hp. Don't know where
you heard your news but they aren't correct. I still think the camaro will have a
base L76 then step up to LS3, may not have both at launch but it will happen

to many damn rumors i can tell ya that much...i can't keep up!! I didn't believe this news i read i was just saying it got me thinking what if ya know.

BUT if these rumors of a camaro with ls3 are true then for those of us who plan on getting one...everytime we open the hood this is sort of what we will see....i'm at a loss for words!!
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/24/2...d-in-kentucky/

Old 08-01-2007, 11:12 PM   #6
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Personally I wouldn't have much of a problem with either three (L76, LS2 or LS3) though my fingers are crossed for the LS3. The first two are nothing to look down on, their both still great engines. The L76 has 362 @ 87 octane a little tweaking would get you an easy 20- 25 hp at 93 octane. + it also has DOD same as the LS2 and probably the LS3. It's just gonna be very interesting to see just what we do get under the hood, but I'll still most likely buy in 09.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:45 PM   #7
daddyseth1

Drives: 94 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak View Post
Personally I wouldn't have much of a problem with either three (L76, LS2 or LS3) though my fingers are crossed for the LS3. The first two are nothing to look down on, their both still great engines. The L76 has 362 @ 87 octane a little tweaking would get you an easy 20- 25 hp at 93 octane. + it also has DOD same as the LS2 and probably the LS3. It's just gonna be very interesting to see just what we do get under the hood, but I'll still most likely buy in 09.
Me too............................... Its still better than a 07 Mustang GT.
daddyseth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:15 AM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I agree with everything that everybody has said here. IF the LS2 was put in the 09 model...and IF I was buying that year...I'd consider it, but I'd probably wait. Just because the LS3 is that much better.

However, it IS "still better then a Mustang", whatever engine they choose. I have Faith in GM. They've turned around, and with Lutz at the Helm, I am confident we won't be let down
Old 08-02-2007, 01:06 AM   #9
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Didn't we just have a really big thread on this from one of our members here? I can't seem to find it anywhere, but know it's here somewhere.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:16 AM   #10
Mr. Wyndham

No, I think it was within the LS3 Info thread...or one of those "LS3" threads...somehow the LS2 always seems to poke it's fugly pug into the LS3's limelight....:laughL
Old 08-02-2007, 01:23 AM   #11
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
It makes more sense that the L76 would show up in the Camaro, given that by the time the car is in production G8 production will have moved to Oshawa, and the L76 is already in the G8(another Zeta car)- the tooling will be there and resources plugged in Zeta, while the LS3 is still being tested for this particular application. How old/new is the L76??? Any detailed specs??? Thanks!
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:36 AM   #12
Mr. Wyndham

I could only find info on the Truck version...but it's pretty much apples to apples:

Quote:
2007 Vortec Max 6.0L V8 VVT (L76)

VORTEC 6.0L Gen IV V8 (L76) TRUCK ENGINE
2007 Model Year Summary

 New 6.0L Engines for 2007 include: (RPOs L76, LY6 )
 (L76) applications are: Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Silverado, and GMC Yukon XL and Sierra
 SAE Certified Power rating
 Gen IV Cylinder Block
 Variable Valve Timing
 Active Fuel Management (RPO L76)
 High-Flow Cylinder Heads
 Returnless Fuel Injection with Stainless Steel Fuel Rail
 Advanced Electronic Throttle Control
 E38 Engine Control Module
 58X Ignition System
 Enhanced Noise, Vibration and Harshness Control
 Smaller Ignition Coils
 Iridium Tip Spark Plugs

Full Description of New and Update Features

New Engine (L76) for 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Silverado and GMC Yukon XL, and Sierra
The next-generation Vortec 6.0L V8 is optional in the all-new Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban and GMC Yukon XL full-size sport-utility vehicles and New Silverado and Sierra pickups. In all applications the Vortec 6.0L is installed with GM Powertrain’s high-capacity Hydra-Matic 4L70 four-speed automatic transmission.

The Vortec 6.0L is available with an aluminum (L76) cylinder block, is equipped with GM’s industry leading Active Fuel Management technology. The 6.0L also features industry first cam-in-block variable valve timing.
These engines are the fourth-generation descendents of one of the most important and successful engines in automotive history—the original Chevrolet small-block, which debuted in 1955. The Gen IV Vortecs feature technology creators of the first small block could not have imagined, yet they share one fundamental trait with the original: a market-leading balance of performance, sophistication, economy and durability.

Gen IV Cylinder Block
The Gen IV cylinder block shares two key design elements with GM’s original small block V8: a 90-degree cylinder angle with 4.4 inch bore centers. Beyond that, the latest small block applies design, casting and machining technologies that were unfathomable in the 1950s.

The Gen IV block debuted in 2005 as the foundation for the 400-hp LS2 V8 in the Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac CTS-v and Pontiac GTO. The new Vortec truck block applies all the improvements in the LS2, tailored for the demands of truck application.
Developed with the latest math-based tools and data acquired in GM’s racing programs, the new block provides an exceptionally light, rigid foundation for an impressively smooth engine. Its deep-skirt design helps maximize strength and minimize vibration. The bulkheads accommodate six-bolt, cross-threaded main-bearing caps that limit crank flex and stiffen the engine’s structure. A structural oil pan further stiffens the powertrain.

The new-generation small block is cast with oil ports in its V, or valley, to accommodate advanced technologies in the Vortec 6.0L, including Active Fuel Management (AFM) cylinder deactivation (below). The Lifter Oil Manifold Assembly (LOMA), a key component of AFM, installs in the valley in place of a conventional engine block cover. As a result, knock sensors located in the valley on the Gen III V8 have been moved to the outside of the engine block, while the cam sensor has been moved from the rear of the block to the front cover.

The new Vortec 6.0L is offered with either a conventional cast-iron (LY6) or an aluminum engine block (L76), giving customers a choice and allowing technology appropriate to the application. The lighter aluminum block allows vehicle engineers more latitude in tailoring weight distribution, and can mean a slight improvement in fuel economy. The Gen IV aluminum block is cast from A356-T6 alloy, with pressed-in iron cylinder liners. It weighs roughly 100 lbs. less than a comparable cast-iron engine block.

Variable Valve Timing
The Gen IV Vortec 6.0Ls bring GM Powertrain’s industry exclusive cam-in-block variable valve timing (VVT), or cam phasing, to the small block V8. VVT eliminates the compromise inherent in conventional fixed valve timing and allows a previously unattainable mix of low-rpm torque, even torque delivery over a broad range of engines speeds, and free-breathing high-rev horsepower. The cam-phasing system in the Vortec 6.0Ls is similar in concept to that introduced in GM’s 3.9L and 3.5L V6 car engines for 2006.

The Vortec 6.0L’s dual-equal cam phaser adjusts camshaft timing at the same rate for both intake and exhaust valves. A vane-type phaser is installed on the cam sprocket to turn the camshaft relative to the sprocket, thereby adjusting the timing of both intake and exhaust valve operation. The vain phaser is actuated by hydraulic pressure from engine oil, and managed by a solenoid that controls oil pressure on the phaser. The phaser uses a wheel or rotor with four vanes (like a propeller) to turn the camshaft relative to the cam sprocket, which turns at a fixed rate via chain from the crankshaft. The solenoid directs oil to pressure points on either side of the four phaser vanes; the vanes, and camshaft, turn in the direction of the oil flow. The more pressure, the more the phaser and camshaft turn. The Vortec 6.0L’s new E38 engine control module (below) directs the phaser to advance or retard cam timing, depending on driving demands. The dual-equal phaser can turn the camshaft over a range of 31 degrees relative to the cam sprocket (or 17 degrees advance, 45 degrees retard relative to the crank).

The benefits are considerable. The cam phaser changes valve timing on the fly, maximizing engine performance for given demands and conditions. At idle, for example, the cam is at the full advanced position. That allows exceptionally smooth idling. Under other operating demands, the phaser adjusts to deliver optimal valve timing for performance, drivability and fuel economy. At high rpm it might retard timing to maximize airflow through the engine and increase horsepower. At low rpm it advances timing to increase torque. Under a light load (say, casual everyday driving), it can retard timing at all engine speeds to improve fuel economy. Without cam phasing, a cam design must be biased toward one strength or another—high-end horsepower or low-end torque, for example—or profiled at some median level that maximizes neither.

Variable valve timing allows linear delivery of torque, with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high specific output (horsepower per liter of displacement) without sacrificing overall engine response, or drivability. It also provides another effective tool for controlling exhaust emissions. Because it manages valve overlap at optimum levels, it eliminates the need for an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system.

Finally, cam-phasing helps maximize the fuel-saving benefits of Active Fuel Management technology (below). The cam phaser can adjust valve-timing for maximum torque when the Vortec 6.0L is operating as a V4, keeping the engine in this fuel-saving mode as long as possible.

Active Fuel Management (RPO L76)
Aluminum-block Gen IV Vortec 6.0Ls feature GM’s Active Fuel Management technology (AFM). AFM temporarily de-actives four of the 6.0L’s cylinders under light load conditions. It should increases fuel economy some 7 percent under the federal government’s required testing procedure and potentially more in certain real-world driving conditions. Yet truck owners don’t have to compromise on the Vortec 6.0Ls outstanding peak horsepower to go farther on a tank of gas.

Active Fuel Management stems from a simple premise: most truck owners have more power than they need much of the time. Many choose powerful V8 engines to be prepared for the occasional heavy load, but during routine commuting that powerful engine operates at a fraction of its capability. Volumetric efficiency is impaired, and that means less than optimal fuel mileage. AFM offers a common-sense solution. It saves fuel by using only half of the Vortec 6.0L’s cylinders during some driving conditions, and seamlessly reactivates the other cylinders when a driver demands full power for acceleration or load hauling.

Managed by the new E38 engine control module (ECM), AFM automatically shuts down every second cylinder, according to firing order, during light-load operation. In engineering terms, this allows the working cylinders to achieve better thermal, volumetric and mechanical efficiency by reducing heat loss, combustion loss and friction, and lowering cyclical combustion variation from cylinder to cylinder. As a result, AFM delivers better fuel economy and lower operating costs. Perhaps the most sensible thing about AFM is that it harnesses the engine’s existing capabilities, starting with the potential designed into the E38 ECM. The only mechanical components required are special valve lifters for cylinders that are deactivated, and their control system. The incremental cost for the customer is nominal per engine. Active Fuel Management relies on three primary components: De-ac (for deactivation) or collapsible valve lifters, a Lifter Oil Manifold Assembly (LOMA), and the ECM.

One of the most sophisticated engine controllers extant, the E38 ECM (below) measures load conditions based on inputs from vehicle sensors and interprets that information to mange more than 100 engine operations, from fuel injection to spark control to electronic throttle control. AFM adds an algorithm to the engine control software to manage cylinder deactivation and reactivation. When loads are light, the E38 automatically closes both intake and exhaust valves for half of the cylinders and cuts fuel delivery to those four. The valves re-open to activate all cylinders when the driver demands brisk acceleration or full torque to move a load. The engine’s electronic throttle control (ETC) is used to balance torque following cylinder deactivation or reactivation. The transition takes less than 20 milliseconds, and can’t be detected by the driver.

Valve lifters are operated by the engine’s camshaft, and lift a pushrod that operates the valves in the cylinder head. In the Gen IV Vortec 6.0L, the De-ac lifters are installed in cylinders 1, 4, 6 and 7, while the remaining cylinders use conventional lifters. The hydraulically operated De-ac lifters have a spring-loaded locking pin actuated by oil pressure. For deactivation, hydraulic pressure dislodges the locking pin, collapsing the top portion of the lifter into the bottom and removing contact with the pushrod. The bottom of each De-Ac lifter rides up and down on the cam lobe but the top does not move the push rod. The valves do not operate and combustion in that cylinder stops. During reactivation, the oil pressure is removed, and the lifter locks at full length. The pushrods, and therefore the valves, operate normally.

The final AFM component is the LOMA. This cast-aluminum assembly is installed in the Vortec 6.0’s V, or valley, in place of a conventional engine block cover. The LOMA holds four solenoids, control wiring and cast-in oil passages. The solenoids are managed by the ECM, and each one controls oil flow to a De-Ac Lifter, activating and de-activating the valves at one cylinder as required for Active Fuel Management.

The Gen IV Vortec 6.0L’s fuel injectors are identical for all cylinders; those feeding the de-activated cylinders are simply shut down electrically by the ECM during de-activation. When the cylinders are deactivated, the engine effectively operates as a V4. AFM operation is load based, as measured by the ECM using dozens of inputs, overlain with the driver’s demand for power as measured by throttle application. AFM’s response time varies with oil temperature, but in all cases is measured in milliseconds. Operation is always transparent to the driver. The engine returns to V8 mode the instant the controller determines that acceleration or load requires additional power.

The benefits are substantial. Active Fuel Management does not effect exhaust emissions, and it will reduce overall emissions significantly to the extent that less fuel is used. Further, the savings reflected in EPA numbers may not account for AFM’s full impact. Owners who primarily travel long distances at steady speeds will see substantially greater fuel-economy improvements.

High-Flow Cylinder Heads
The Gen IV Vortec 6.0Ls are fitted with high-flow cylinder heads, based on those developed for the high-performance LS2 and LS6 car V8s. These heads have offset rockers, like those in the LS7. They also have larger valves than other Vortec V8 heads, and increase airflow in and out of the engine for higher horsepower. Yet the Vortec 6.0 heads maintain a compression ratio that allows these engines to operate on regular gas.

Returnless Fuel Injection with Stainless Steel Fuel Rail
The Vortec 6.0L is equipped with a "returnless’’ fuel injection system, also known as a demand system, and the latest-generation Multec injectors with USCAR connectors. The Gen IV V8s represents one of GM’s first applications of USCAR-standard electrical connectors for the fuel injectors. The standard was developed to promote common, reliable connections across the auto industry and streamline regulatory oversight. The connectors are more compact than previous connectors, and designed for improved sealing.

Recently introduced on the Gen III Vortec V8s, returnless fuel injection represents a paradigm shift for GM, developed to improve performance and decrease evaporative emissions. Previously, Vortec 6.0Ls used a return line between the engine and the fuel tank to manage fuel pressure by bleeding off excess fuel at the fuel rail and returning the excess to the tank. The new system eliminates the return lines and moves the fuel pressure regulator from the fuel rail on the engine to the fuel tank. Because it delivers only the amount of fuel needed by the injectors, and returns no fuel to the gas tank, the returnless system essentially eliminates heat transfer from the engine to tank. This reduces the amount of vapor generated in the tank and captured by the vehicle’s Onboard Refueling Vapor Recovery (ORVR) system.

With the returnless system, the 6.0L uses a fuel rail manufactured of stainless steel. Previous versions use a nylon rail. The stainless steel rail allows installation of baffles that manage fuel pulses in the returnless system and reduce noise.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2007, 01:37 AM   #13
Mr. Wyndham

Here's the rest!:eek:
Quote:
Advanced Electronic Throttle Control
GM Powertrain has led the industry in applying electronic throttle control (ETC) to its Vortec V8s, which are now equipped with ETC in all applications. The Gen IV Vortec 6.0L introduces the next generation in truck ETC.

With ETC, there is no mechanical link between the accelerator pedal and the throttle body. A sensor at the pedal measures pedal angle and sends a signal to the engine control module (ECM), which in turn directs an electric motor to open the throttle at the appropriate rate and angle. ETC delivers a number of benefits to the customer. Besides throttle pedal angle, the ECM measures other data, including the transmission’s shift patterns and traction at the drive wheels, in determining how far to open the throttle. ETC delivers outstanding throttle response and greater reliability than a mechanical connection, which typically uses a cable that requires adjustment—and sometimes breaks. Cruise control electronics are integrated into the system, further improving reliability and simplifying engine assembly.

The Gen IV Vortec 6.0L takes ETC to the next level by taking advantage of capability built into its advanced E38 ECM (below) and further streamlining the system. Its up-integrated ETC system eliminates a Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) module. The TAC takes commands from the ECM and then operates the electric motor that opens and closes the throttle. The E38 manages the throttle directly, without a TAC. Eliminating the TAC reduces cost and improves reliability. The direct link between the ECM and the throttle motor improves throttle response time (albeit in millisecond increments that are not apparent to the driver) and improves system security by removing a device (the TAC) the must be monitored for malfunction

E38 Engine Control Module
An advanced controller manages the multitude of operations that occur within the Vortec 6.0L every split second. The E38 is the mid-line controller in GM Powertrains new family of engine control modules (ECM), which will direct nearly all the engines in Powertrain’s line-up. In combination with advanced sensor technology, the E38 includes the ability to control and synchronize advanced technologies such as Active Fuel Management and cam-in-block variable valve timing.

The E38 features 32-bit processing, compared to the conventional 16-bit processing in previous Vortec engines. The E38 operates at 59 MHz, with 32 megabytes of flash memory, 128 kilobytes of RAM and a high-speed CAN bus, and it synchronizes more than 100 functions, from spark timing to cruise control operation to traction control calculations. The E38 works roughly 50 times faster than the first computers used on internal combustion engines in the late 1970s, which managed five or six functions.

The family strategy behind GM’s new ECMs allows engineers to apply standard manufacturing and service procedures to all powertrains, and quickly upgrade certain engine technologies while leaving others alone. It creates both assembly and procurement efficiencies, as well as volume sourcing. In short, it creates a solid, flexible, efficient engine-control foundation, allowing engineers to focus on innovations and get them to market more quickly. The family of controllers means the ECM and corresponding connectors can be packaged and mounted identically in virtually every GM vehicle. Powertrain creates all the software for the three ECMs, which share a common language and hardware interface that’s tailored to each vehicle.

The E38 also applies a new, rate-based monitoring protocol sometimes known as run-at-rate diagnostics. Rate-based diagnostics improve the robustness of the Onboard Diagnostics System (OBD II) and ensure optimal performance of emissions control systems. The new software increases the frequency at which the ECM checks various Vortec 6.0L systems, and particularly emissions-control systems such as the catalytic converter and oxygen sensors. Rate-based diagnostics more reliably monitor real-word operation of these systems, and allow regulatory agencies to more easily measure and certify emissions compliance.

58X Ignition System
The Vortec 6.0L has an advanced 58X crankshaft position encoder to ensure that ignition timing is accurate throughout its operating range. The new 58X crankshaft ring and sensor provide more immediate, accurate information on the crankshaft’s position during rotation. This allows the E38 ECM to adjust ignition timing with greater precision, which optimizes performance and economy. Engine starting is also more consistent in all operating conditions.

In conjunction with 58X crankshaft timing, the Gen IV Vortec V8s apply the latest digital cam-timing technology. The cam sensor is now located in the front engine cover, and it reads a 4X sensor target on the cam sprocket. The target ring has four equally spaced segments that communicate the camshaft’s position more quickly and accurately than previous systems with a single segment. It provides precise control required for variable valve timing.

The dual 58X/4X measurement ensures extremely accurate timing for the life of the engine. Moreover, it provides an effective back-up system in the event one sensor fails.

Enhanced Noise, Vibration and Harshness Control
The Gen IV Vortec V8s were developed for quieter operation, with virtually every system or component reviewed in an effort to reduce noise, vibration and harshness. Quiet features built into the engines are complemented by improved engine cradles and mounting systems. These help reduce vibrations transmitted through the chassis and into the passenger compartment.

The NVH enhancements include floating pin pistons, which reduce noise and increase durability. These pistons have wrist pins that “float” inside the rod bushing and the pin bores in the piston barrel. Compared to a conventional fixed pin assembly, in which the connecting rod is fixed to the piston’s wrist pin and the pin rotates in the pin bore, the floating pins reduce stress on the pin. They allow tighter pin to pin-bore tolerances and reduce noise generated as the piston moves through the cylinder. To further reduce wear, the pistons are coated with a polymer material, which limits bore scuffing, or abrasion of the cylinder wall over time from the piston’s up-down motion. The polymer coating also dampens noise generated by the piston’s movement. The result for the customer is less engine wear, improved durability and quieter operation.

The Gen IV Vortecs also feature a new heavy-duty timing chain developed expressly for quiet operation. The chain, which connects the cam and crankshaft, is validated for 200,000 miles of operation and fitted with a new leaf-spring dampener. Even the most durable chains stretch with time. In many engines they must be adjusted or replaced at scheduled intervals. The Vortec 6.0L’s chain dampener maintains optimal chain tension for the life of the engine and eliminates any flapping motion that might develop as the chain stretches with mileage. It ensures that the timing chain operates as smoothly and quietly as new, even as the engine accumulates high mileage.

Exhaust manifolds were developed to improve durability and sealing and reduce operational noise. Cast nodular iron was the material of choice for its basic durability and excellent heat management properties. The manifolds feature saw cuts along their flange, or the surface where they mate to the engine. Originally developed for the big-block Vortec 8.1L, these cuts split the flange into three separate sections, allowing each section to move under extreme hot-cold temperature fluctuations without interacting with, or creating stress on, another section. The cuts virtually eliminate friction on –and movement of—the exhaust manifold gaskets. This helps ensure proper sealing for the life of the engine and reduces the chance of gasket failure.

The exhaust manifolds are fitted with new triple-layer heat shields fabricated from stainless steel and insulating material. The shields limit heat transfer from the engine to the engine bay, allowing the Vortec 6.0L to reach optimal operating temperature more quickly, yet reducing heat in the engine compartment once that temperature is achieved. They also dampen the sound of exhaust gas rushing through the manifolds and further reduce the amount of engine operational noise that finds its way into the vehicle interior.

Smaller Ignition Coils
The Vortec 6.0L’s individual coil-near-plug ignition features advanced coils developed for the LS2 and LS7 Corvette V8s. The new coils are smaller and lighter than those used on previous Vortec V8s, and while they are still mounted on the rocker covers, they attach with a new mounting bracket that simplifies engine assembly. An individual coil for each spark plug delivers maximum voltage and consistent spark density, with no variation between cylinders.

Iridium Tip Spark Plugs
Improvements to the Vortec 6.0L’s ignition system include advanced spark-plug technology. Its spark plugs have an iridium electrode tip and an iridium core in the conductor. The iridium plug has a recommended life of 100,000 miles, but it offers a number of advantages over the platinum-tip plugs previously used in the Vortec V8s.

The iridium spark plug has higher internal resistance, maintaining optimal spark density over its useful life. Its “self-cleaning” properties are improved, decreasing potential for plug fouling and further reducing the likelihood of maintenance over the 100,000-mile plug life. The electrode design improves combustion efficiency for maximum fuel economy and minimum emissions. Finally, iridium is more plentiful than platinum, reducing the plug’s material cost and preserving scarce noble metals.

Overview
The Vortec V8s have fueled GM’s leadership in truck sales because they provide the right technology for the job. Case in point: the Gen IV Vortec 6.0Ls.

The cast-iron block Vortec 6.0L (RPO LY6) was developed for heavy-duty applications, such as the all-new Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 2500 HDs. The LY6 has undergone the most rigorous lab- and road-testing process in small-block history. It’s validated to achieve 200,000 miles of operation in typical applications. The aluminum-block 6.0L was developed for maximum towing capability in vehicles like the Chevy Suburban. Its Active Fuel Management cylinder-deactivation technology improves fuel-economy when the trailer is empty or left behind.

The Gen IV Vortec 6.0Ls build on the solid foundation laid by their immediate predecessors: The Gen III Vortec V8s. Gen III introduced a host of advanced technologies to the overhead-valve V8, including aluminum cylinder heads, a thermoplastic intake manifold and electronic throttle control. Cylinder heads were designed with replicated ports that are identical in every detail, allowing constant cylinder-to-cylinder airflow. The valvetrain was developed on the belief that lighter is more efficient. A steel camshaft provides excellent durability. Steel roller rockers add stiffness, allowing greater engine speed with less vibration. Hydraulic roller lifters reduce friction for better fuel economy and wear resistance.

With their increase in output and fuel efficiency, the Gen IV small blocks share their predecessors’ low-maintenance requirements. The spark plugs extend anticipated plug life to 100,000 miles, while the coolant maintains its cooling and corrosion-inhibiting properties for 150,000 miles. Scheduled maintenance is limited to oil changes, and thanks to GM’s industry-leading Oil Life System, a customer should never pay for an unnecessary change. The Vortec 6.0L’s ECM records engine temperature, length of operation at a given temperature and several other operating parameters, and then indicates an oil change when it's actually needed, rather than according to a predetermined interval.

Quote:
2007 Vortec Max 6.0L V8 ( L76 )
Type: 6.0L Gen IV V8 Small Block
Displacement: 5967cc (364 ci)
Compression ratio: 9.6:1
Valve configuration: overhead valves (2 valves per cylinder)
Assembly site: Silao, Mexico
Valve lifters: hydraulic roller
Firing order: 1 - 8 - 7 - 2 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3
Bore x stroke: 101.6 x 92mm
Fuel system: sequential fuel injection ( SFI )
Fuel type: regular unleaded
Fuel shut off: 6000 RPM
Emissions controls: catalytic converter
three-way catalyst
positive crankcase ventilation
Applications: Horsepower: hp ( kw )
Holden 355hp ( 265 kw ) @ 5400 rpm ( preliminary )

Applications: Torque: lb-ft. ( Nm )
Holden 365lb-ft ( 495 Nm) @ 4400 rpm ( preliminary )

MATERIALS
Block: cast aluminum
Cylinder head: cast aluminum
Intake manifold: composite
Exhaust manifold: cast nodular iron
Main bearing caps: powder metal
Crankshaft: cast nodular iron with undercut and rolled fillets
Camshaft: hollow steel
Connecting rods: powder metal
Additional features: extended life spark plugs
extended life coolant
Oil Life System