Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #15
04Ram2500Hemi

Drives: 04 Ram 2500 & 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I can see how this issue is frustrating for some of you folks, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. As soon as the first snow flake hits the ground my Camaro is going to be in hibernation mode.
04Ram2500Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #16
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Get some all season tires and swap them out, then sell your stock tires to offset some of the cost. Lots of guys here go through tires quickly and would buy a nice set of P-zeros.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #17
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam#7 View Post
THIS IS ALSO MY BIGGEST GRIP ABOUT THIS CAMARO. I've waited 30 years to order a Camaro. I will not spend the extra money on the RS because of what you are saying. They should offer the RS package with all season tires and but with the same rims sizes from front to back. As it is, you can not rotate these tires.

I've also seen treads were Camaro owners are getting less than 10,000 miles out of these tires. In all honesty, what percentage of Camaro owners are going to need summer tires to keep their car from slidding off the road. The summer tires and different 20" rim sizes should have been a seperate option.

The RS should have been an appearance package only and then a seperate beefed up performance package that included the summer tires and 20" rims. I do believe the Mustangs are packaged that way.

I quess I'm just getting too sensible in my older age to consider a second set of tires. But, I did the same thing in the 70's with my '68 Chevelle. In the winter, I would let the air out of my back air shocks and put on a pair snow tires with steel studs.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #18
camaroGOODMAN

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Ram2500Hemi View Post
I can see how this issue is frustrating for some of you folks, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. As soon as the first snow flake hits the ground my Camaro is going to be in hibernation mode.
agreed.

i never planned on driving the camaro in the snow, but you cant drive it when the weather drops below a certain temp?
Old 07-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #19
WhoDat24
Geaux Saints Geaux

Drives: Bumblebee. 2SS/RS (#88**)
Hey.. I've had my car for over a year (30k+ miles because a lot of road trips..) I got new Toyo tires put on this morning. They are the same size as the OEM Pirellis. Don't expect to get any more than 30k out of your pirelli OEMs.. The road noise after 30k is almost unbearable. Almost sounded like a set of off road tires on pavement, lol. Get what you can out of them, but after 30k, don't expect much out of them.

EDIT: Since it is my DD at school in Virginia, I had to drive through a few snowstorms that hit central Virginia this past winter. The tires held up decently for being "summer" tires, IMO, just a lot of sliding.

WhoDat24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:58 AM   #20
leadfoot

Drives: 1LT RS
I understand your frustration, I was there myself. But I ended up buying 18" rims and winter tires from tirerack for about $1400 shipped. Sounds like a lot but...

Last winter the winter tires were great. The car was a tank on ice and snow. Fewer problems with it than our other car which is front wheel drive on all season tires.

And every mile on those is not miles on the Pirelli's so that will delay when i have to replace those. ( with something else )

And now I actually like this setup. Second set of rims means I don't have to pay anyone to mount and balance twice a year and can make the change in my garage.

Hiking boots for the winter, track shoes for the summer.
It's a high performance car, and ultimately all performance is where the rubber meets the road.
leadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:17 AM   #21
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Ram2500Hemi View Post
I kept a daily driver for bad weather even in the Summer, but I can't stand not taking it out for a spin in the winter. At least once or twice a month just for fun when the roads are dry. Try it, It's like the first week you had your car when you have not driven it for a couple of weeks. But with the P/zeros @ 25 degrees- It's just scarry in my opinion.