Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-30-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Do you have your front license plate on? (for those who live where it's required)

Just curious how many of you who live in a state where a front license plate is required, actually have it on?
I just got a parking ticket today for parking 94 minutes in a 90 minute parking zone (must have been one bored cop..) and with that parking ticket, I got a ticket for having no front license plate.
I am guessing I could just report it stolen? Or possibly fight the ticket saying it was stolen?
Any suggestions would be great.

Also just post if you're in a state where the front plate is required and you don't use one anyway. And share any experiences you've had if a cop has talked to you about it.
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:52 AM   #2
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
no
Old 11-30-2011, 12:53 AM   #3
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I put mine on with 3m tape long enough to get an inspection sticker then pulled it back off.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
SS_Los

Drives: 2011 CGM 1SS L99
I didn't install my front license plate, but IF i get pulled over, my reasoning would be that my braket broke and just have the plate in the back pocket of the passenger seat.
SS_Los is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:58 AM   #5
Blue17CamaroZL1
650HP soon to come

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Now that I'm posting here I can see me getting pulled over very soon for it. I live in NJ which requires a front license plate but I have the hideaway bracket. It tucks the license plate under the front fascia. I can slide it back out when needed.

So far, I haven't been stopped for it, but it's been about 3 weeks:

Blue17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:59 AM   #6
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Los View Post
I didn't install my front license plate, but IF i get pulled over, my reasoning would be that my braket broke and just have the plate in the back pocket of the passenger seat.
Yeah my plate is sitting under my drivers seat.
And that was going to be my excuse if I ever got pulled over as well.

But since this was a parking ticket, that's just bullshit they added that on...

Last edited by Jeff_SS; 11-30-2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:03 AM   #7
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue10CamaroSS View Post
Now that I'm posting here I can see me getting pulled over very soon for it. I live in NJ which requires a front license plate but I have the hideaway bracket. It tucks the license plate under the front fascia. I can slide it back out when needed.

So far, I haven't been stopped for it, but it's been about 3 weeks:

Thats cool, where and how much?
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:11 AM   #8
Blue17CamaroZL1
650HP soon to come

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSNEEKSx View Post
Thats cool, where and how much?
Show N Go license plate bracket. Just google it and you can get it anywhere for around $50 for the manual one.

If you want to spend a little bit more, you can get the electric one with remote:

Blue17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:13 AM   #9
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
No I don't, but the only place I park is my garage.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:23 AM   #10
Grimlock
dey see me rollin

Drives: the magic school bus
Entering my 8th month without having it on. It's funny the only time I got pulled over for no front tags, was when the state trooper was already in a traffic stop on the highway. He left the stop midway and followed me through the exit. Luckily my excuse was valid and not some cop out. My first tags were stolen so I didn't have a method to secure the front tag. Now I'm just too cool for front tags. I have thought about using magnets to put it on while driving and removing when parked, but I'm super lazy.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:27 AM   #11
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue10CamaroSS View Post
Show N Go license plate bracket. Just google it and you can get it anywhere for around $50 for the manual one.

If you want to spend a little bit more, you can get the electric one with remote:
Wow that is so sick. I am definitely going to get that.
Idk how or if you can plus rep on this site, but if you can, I would.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:35 AM   #12
cnrad

Drives: a wagon
Nope, and no problems so far. It's been over a year and I live in Cali.
cnrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:39 AM   #13
gelboy1015

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, MKIII Supras
I put mine on when Im in Texas since they require front plates. I have my bracket on with the toggle bolt mod, so it is temporary and removable. I remove it when Im in Oklahoma since they wont care, lol.
gelboy1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:48 AM   #14
SnowVert

Drives: Inferno Orange 2013 SS/RS LS3 6M
If you report it stolen, if they believe you, you will have to go order new plates and pay the fee for new ones. In MN that fee varies but would probably be about the same cost as paying the fine. Your rear plate will have to be destroyed because that plate number will be entered as a stolen plate and you do not want to be driving around with that on your car as you will be stopped and there will be plenty of guns pointed at you when you do... That is the best case scenario if you try that approach.

If they do not believe you, and trust me, they most likely will not, you could end up going to jail for filing a false police report which is a much more severe charge. If you think that they won't figure it out, keep in mind that you already admitted that it wasn't stolen on a fully public website... I'd recommend you do the right thing and take care of it appropriately. You have the right to not put a front plate on your car, but you also know that there are consequences to making that choice.

Now, with that being said, Minnesota does require a front plate as well, and it drives me crazy... I debated for quite some time as to what I was going to do with mine. It almost made me cry when I had it installed. It was a very difficult decision for me and I even had more possible negative consequences as it could have affected my job in addition to my pocket book. so I do understand.

What I'm trying to say is that you made your choice by not putting it on. Now make a responsible choice and pay the fine. Or go to court and lie through your teeth. If you have integrity, the choice will be an easy one. Either way, good luck with whatever direction you go.
SnowVert is offline   Reply With Quote