Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 03-18-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
Kripp

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray RS LT1
"Custom" Hurst chrome shifter lever installation

I didn't really want a short throw shifter as I like the way the stock shifter works (and I didn't want to spend $300+ for a new shifter), but I do like the chrome Hurst shifter lever with a ball, etc. So, I designed an adapter and I modified my shifter lever. I will try to post the pictures of the process in different stages here. If I can't figure out how to post the pictures here, I will post them on my profile.

If you want to do this yourself, I suggest just cutting off the upper part of the factory shifter below the weld to expose the top of the rubber insulator and then cutting the insulator out. (The factory shifter arm is a two piece unit that has rubber insulation between the two parts. The upper part is actually two pieces welded together. It has the tapered & slotted post (used to hold the leather covered knob in place) welded to a tube. Pull straight up on your knob and it will come off.

I ended up using a drill to cut up the rubber insulator from the top on down. It is messy, but slotting the side like I did won't do you any good unles you do it in two places, split the housing, and pry it apart. But that may not even work very easily as the rubber is most likely bonded to the metal. It is probably injected and cured, etc. You'll see what I am talking about from the pictures. You''l have to scrape the rubber off anyhow and cleaning up a rubber mess is much better than a metal shavings mess. (Less metal cutting is better in my opinion)

I don't feel any vibration issues with the shifter arm adapter that I installed. I used a thin piece of rubber insulation wrapped around the lower shaft, but it probably isn't necessary. I also designed my adapter before cutting the stock shifter up. I wasn't sure what it would look like until I cut it apart, but I assumed the lower shaft was uniform in diameter, and it is. If I had to do it all again, I would probably just design a less complex adapter, and mount it solid with some set screws.

I actually drove the car around running errands with just the little stub (lower part of the factory arm) and nothing else. It wasn't difficult. There was plently of leverage with just that little stub. I have about $70 invested in this.
Attached Images

Last edited by Kripp; 03-19-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Kripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
dickholloway

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
very nice. do mine
dickholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
WOW!!
Old 04-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #4
Skidpuppy
ACE5

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Nice. What parts did you use? Where did you find the arm adapter?
Old 04-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
Texhawk

Drives: 69Camaro,87IROC,96 SS,Z06&Stingray
I really like the look of the old style shifter.
How does the HURST shaft attach to the adapter? Does it have to be welded?
Texhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
Agent Atomic Orange

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidpuppy View Post
Nice. What parts did you use? Where did you find the arm adapter?
I have seem them at Summit Racing.

Airaid CAI (V2 Tube)/ Flowmaster American Thunder/ Barton Shifter Kit/ Hotchkis Sport Sway Bars/ Hotchkis Sport Springs/ AAC Lights/ GM Trim Kit/ Tint/ Pioneer Premier Champion Series Sub/ Pioneer 1500 Watt Amp
Agent Atomic Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Kripp

Yes, I cut off the Hurst arm to the length I wanted and had it welded it to the adapter.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
Kripp

I saw the parts and bought them all (chrome lever, ball, and rubber grommet) from someone on e-bay. I made the adapter that the lever is welded to.