Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-24-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
Spiffyguitar

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
BMR vs Eibach sways

Ok... so I've already lowered my car, and now I want to further improve the handling so I'm going to buy some sways. I've been looking at BMR, and they offer hollow tube sways, and for around the same price Eibach has solid sways.

What do you guys think? I know BMR makes good stuff, but a solid bar seems like it would be better in the long run.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Spiffyguitar

Anybody... Bueller, Bueller....
Old 07-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
bi11ymc
"Silver Street"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
There is also Pedders and Pfadt sway bars. I am going with Pedders sway bars, since I am also getting the Pedders Street XA System.

I do not know anything about the BMR or Eibach. Good luck.

CAI Inc., ARH LT Headers with Cats, Borla Touring Cat-Back; Pfadt Coil Overs, Sway Bars, End Links, and Trailing Arms; Comp Cams Blower Cam, Dual Springs, Push-Rods, and Lifters; GM LS2 Lifter Trays, 6.2 MLS Head Gaskets, Crank Bolt, and LS2 Front Cover; 3-Bolt Conversion Timing Gear, Katech C5R Timing Chain, ARP LS2/LS3 Head Bolt Kit, Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump, TVS 2300 Supercharger (Black); Build by Vengeance Racing; Custom Tune by Vengeance Racing
bi11ymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Ovenmitt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 RJT 1SS
Send a message via AIM to Ovenmitt
Eibach adj. swaybars are manufactured incorrectly, and are ineffective on this car. Until they change the nature of the adjustment mechanism to make it usable, I wouldn't put them on my car
Ovenmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
We appreciate you considering our swaybars for your Fifth Gen. There is a huge debate over solid vs. hollow. Arguments can be made in each direction but consider that Detroit, Europe and Japan all run hollow swaybars on every performance car they manufacture. It's not cheaper or easier to build them with tubing (in fact it's more expensive and complicated) so why do they do it? I don't want this to turn into another solid vs. hollow battle so I will just leave it at that. They do it for multiple reasons, the same reasons we do.

We have been manufacturing F-body suspension for over 12 years now and our expertise has transferred from one generation to the next. The Camaro gets better with each generation making our job more difficult. We could have easily made our swaybars solid but we specifically chose to make them hollow, a much more difficult process. We could have also chose to make them non-adjustable to keep costs down but we didn't. Multiple tests and hours of research went into our swaybars to make a product worthy of this platform. In the end you get a completely adjustable bar that can adapt to your level of driving expertise, a bar manufactured with the most current technology, AND one that does both of these things while being less expensive than most other options on the market. I may be a little bias but why would you consider another set of swaybars?
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
Droid6

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovenmitt View Post
Eibach adj. swaybars are manufactured incorrectly, and are ineffective on this car.
I have the Eibach sways and they are definitely effective. Where did you get this information?

2010 Camaro LS: Eibach Pro-Plus Kit, K&N Aircharger, Flowmaster American Thunder, Pioneer Audio
Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post
I have the Eibach sways and they are definitely effective. Where did you get this information?
they position their front sway bar adjustable mounts vertical which is essentially ineffective.

they need to turn the adjustment holes horizontal/parallel to the ground to be able to adjust the stiffness of the sway bar.

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #8
Droid6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
they position their front sway bar adjustable mounts vertical which is essentially ineffective.

they need to turn the adjustment holes horizontal/parallel to the ground to be able to adjust the stiffness of the sway bar.
The adjust-ability may be ineffective but using the top hole is which is the recommended setting for most drivers anyways is effective and definitely more effective than stock.

2010 Camaro LS: Eibach Pro-Plus Kit, K&N Aircharger, Flowmaster American Thunder, Pioneer Audio
Old 07-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
well, they claim it is adjustable which in reality those three holes do not adjust anything. an adjustable sway bar adjusts stiffness, so Eibach is falsely advertising their bar as adjustable when each hole does not adjust anything.

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:17 PM   #10
Droid6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
well, they claim it is adjustable which in reality those three holes do not adjust anything. an adjustable sway bar adjusts stiffness, so Eibach is falsely advertising their bar as adjustable when each hole does not adjust anything.
Definitely cannot disagree with that.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #11
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
The debate on hollow versus solid is a great one. Solids weigh more but are stronger per mm. Think about where the weight is and just exactly how the weight is it affecting the handling of your Camaro. Hollow bars have a tendency to shrink at the bends. So a 30mm hollow bar, may actually only be an effective 26-27mm bar due to the change.

How to calculate bar strength is posted on this forum. Get the data, and do the math for yourself. Also make the comparison between the front and rears. This actually is an important ratio for sure!

Looked at a Camaro the other day. Had our parts on it but went with a hollow set of bars. When asked why, he wanted the reduced weight. Then I looked at the wheels and tires he put on, that weighed nearly 15-20lbs more than the OE. So when you consider the effects of sprung versus unsprung weight, where unsprung is nearly 10 times more influential than sprung weight, he lost the weight battle big time. So unless you are
building a seriously aggressive race car, 100lbs of sprung rate will see no difference as long as it is not all on one axle.

best of luck on your decision.

mike
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
busaboy

Drives: Black RS/SS M6
I have a set of Eibach drop springs on an old Chevy pickup. The truck looks better handles somewhat better. When I bought the springs I did not have much selection. You get what you pay for.
busaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #13
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
So did you make your decision?

mike
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #14
Spiffyguitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.White@PeddersUSA.com View Post
So did you make your decision?

mike
I'm leaning towards going solid, but I have used hollow in the past. I don't mind a little extra weight as long is it's not rotating mass, and you don't get much lower on the car than the sways. Removing the mufflers, etc. more than makes up for what little it adds. I'm also in the process of beefing up my brakes (slotted/cross drilled), and getting LT's. Should make for a fun summer!