Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Bowtie Junkman

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Let's talk tune

Hello everyone.

I have a L99 car to which I will be adding a CAI (probably a K&N Aircharger), Edelbrock x-pipe and GMPP Off-Road exhaust to VERY soon ...

I have a couple of questions regarding a tune ...

I have never used a programmer before .... I'm a bit "Old Skool" and more used to tuning Holley double-pumpers on top of 6-71's or tunnel-rams ...

Therefore, I am not going to be plugging in a lap-top or looking at fuel-curves or flow charts .... I am just looking for a (I believe you call it) 'canned" tune to enhance the performance of the car. I do not want to have to (nor do I have the ability to) download files or programs to make something work .... just looking for a plug-and-play programmer that will be able to optimize the performance gains from the other bolt-ons (CAI & exhaust) ... Also ... VERY much looking forward to getting rid of the DoD (what a pain in the ass, even through 'whisper quiet' stock exhaust) ...

I am leaning towards the Diablosport Predator .... am I headed in the right direction? Pros ... Cons ... Good experiences and bad ... ?????

I also understand a 'generic' tune is not as efficient or exact as a dyno tune ... but my car is a daily driver, so not looking to squeeze every last drop of HP out of it ... just looking for an edge over the guy in the next lane.

All input from my Camaro5 bruthas (and sistas) is appreciated before I spend my hard-earned money ....

The Junkman ...
Bowtie Junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Wileytrigger21

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT / RS, Blk 1SS/RS
Check out Vector Motorsports. Lots of good stuff said about them.
Wileytrigger21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
I can't help you out as I have a custom dyno tune but...

I bet you already have an edge over the guy in the other lane

Good luck!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
Dave Coyle

Drives: 2010 SS , 1970 Z-28, 2002 Avalanche
I'm a lot like you on "old" tuning but after talking to a few people, you will be able to tune yourself but the best is to have a custom dyno tune which is what I did. You can still install everything yourself but find a place to dyno tune it and pay a little cash, you will be happy you did.
Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers/Hi-Flo Cats/Corsa Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI / Port Intake
Precission 2400/2800 Converter/3.73 AAM gears
Livernois Motorsports Tune

Best time: 11.97 @ 117 MPH
Dave Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
Steve@Vectormotorsports

Drives: Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccd34 View Post
Check out Vector Motorsports. Lots of good stuff said about them.
lol

We can support your A6 as to the hand held your looking at does not.
Steve@Vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Mike@DS

Drives: 99 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Junkman View Post
Hello everyone.

I have a L99 car to which I will be adding a CAI (probably a K&N Aircharger), Edelbrock x-pipe and GMPP Off-Road exhaust to VERY soon ...

I have a couple of questions regarding a tune ...

I have never used a programmer before .... I'm a bit "Old Skool" and more used to tuning Holley double-pumpers on top of 6-71's or tunnel-rams ...

Therefore, I am not going to be plugging in a lap-top or looking at fuel-curves or flow charts .... I am just looking for a (I believe you call it) 'canned" tune to enhance the performance of the car. I do not want to have to (nor do I have the ability to) download files or programs to make something work .... just looking for a plug-and-play programmer that will be able to optimize the performance gains from the other bolt-ons (CAI & exhaust) ... Also ... VERY much looking forward to getting rid of the DoD (what a pain in the ass, even through 'whisper quiet' stock exhaust) ...

I am leaning towards the Diablosport Predator .... am I headed in the right direction? Pros ... Cons ... Good experiences and bad ... ?????

I also understand a 'generic' tune is not as efficient or exact as a dyno tune ... but my car is a daily driver, so not looking to squeeze every last drop of HP out of it ... just looking for an edge over the guy in the next lane.

All input from my Camaro5 bruthas (and sistas) is appreciated before I spend my hard-earned money ....

The Junkman ...
I'd look a little closer at the Trinity, lots more cool features over a Predator, with more to come
Mike@DS is offline   Reply With Quote