Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
Macario Marino

Drives: 2012 IOM camaro
Dual radios

I am not sure if this has been asked before but has anyone seen or added an aftermarket single din radio and mounted it somewhere else on the car, the way im saying is keeping the stock head unit and adding a second one?
Macario Marino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:52 AM   #2
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Aside from installation, how do you plan to connect everything? You can't have both units connected to the speakers at the same time. So you would need some kind of switch (obviously custom built) to switch between the units.

Sounds like a huge waste of time and money. Fix whatever is wrong with the current system, or replace it and start over.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
Macario Marino

It's not that my current system is wrong it's just I dont want to replace the stock headunit just yet and wanted to know if it was possible to do the single din radio hidden somewhere else
Old 07-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
Aside from installation, how do you plan to connect everything? You can't have both units connected to the speakers at the same time. So you would need some kind of switch (obviously custom built) to switch between the units.

Sounds like a huge waste of time and money. Fix whatever is wrong with the current system, or replace it and start over.
PAC makes a 2 or 3 source switch. There used all the time in car systems with video and/or game consoles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macario Marino View Post
It's not that my current system is wrong it's just I dont want to replace the stock headunit just yet and wanted to know if it was possible to do the single din radio hidden somewhere else
You could hide it in the trunk or glove box, but controlling it will be a chore. The factory head unit is very capable. It has been proven in several extreme quality build. It's the amps and speakers that are less than desirable.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
DraggnFrameGMC

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro LT
Factory headunit works great for me. The only reason I could see changing it was for looks or a navigation upgrade. I do have an MS-8 running my system off the headunit.
DraggnFrameGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
Macario Marino

Only reason I want an aftermarket headunit is because I'm not to fond of the l.o.c id rather have the rca's plugged directly on the headunit and the fact that they have a subwoofer level option on them at least the one on my dads truck does but that's just me. Also will adding an aftermarket equalizer be a better option than adding a new head unit? Sorry for all the questions.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macario Marino View Post
Only reason I want an aftermarket headunit is because I'm not to fond of the l.o.c id rather have the rca's plugged directly on the headunit and the fact that they have a subwoofer level option on them at least the one on my dads truck does but that's just me. Also will adding an aftermarket equalizer be a better option than adding a new head unit? Sorry for all the questions.
I agree with you on the LOC as most are a POS. I think the best option is a processor like the Cleansweep by JL or the MS-8 by JBL. Very powerful EQ and high quality LOC in both. The MS-8 will allow you to time align your speakers to compensate for path length differences where as the Cleansweep won't. Also, the MS-8 as a built in 8 channel amp that can be used if needed, but you will pay for these features.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #8
Macario Marino

I have temporarily fixed my problem all I did was download an equalizer application on my phone since I'm tight on budget right now this should do the trick for the moment until I have money to buy an equalizer it really make a big difference to have more control over the frequencies.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
lfree11012

Drives: 2018 1LE
I would have to agree with Mickey A sound processor would help a lot. If it a bass knob you looking for look at the bit ten D. Or the bit one. I would stay away from two radio bigger pain then it worth. Also Rockford and jbl and jl have car audio sound processor. Of you can kick it old school and look up an Audio control for like $180 you will get great control with an 8volt out RCA
lfree11012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
Macario Marino

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfree11012 View Post
I would have to agree with Mickey A sound processor would help a lot. If it a bass knob you looking for look at the bit ten D. Or the bit one. I would stay away from two radio bigger pain then it worth. Also Rockford and jbl and jl have car audio sound processor. Of you can kick it old school and look up an Audio control for like $180 you will get great control with an 8volt out RCA
Can you give me an example of that audio control you mentioned?
Old 08-08-2013, 01:24 AM   #11
lfree11012

Drives: 2018 1LE
http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/1761...tegration.html
lfree11012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dual, headunit, radio