Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 08-27-2009, 05:39 PM   #15
Musclebee

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Delivered on 4/23
Wow, we need to move our shop to CA, in Ohio you could get them painted on for $1200-$1500.
Musclebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #16
SILVER BULLITT

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS MONSTER
yah everything in cali costs an arm and a legbut thats because we have to pay for so many illegals and everyones unemployment our cost of living is so high
SILVER BULLITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:19 PM   #17
ZNOLMT

Drives: Rally Yellow 2LT
Might as well get the whole damn car painted.
ZNOLMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:26 PM   #18
PolishMike

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Not an easy job. Most shops make their money repairing damaged cars. Standard run-of-the-mill work thats quick and easy. Custom stuff like this takes extra time and skill and gets expensive.

He is definitely adding a "Camaro tax" but I would expect $2000 for sanding off the original paint and spraying the stripes. That is the proper way to do it. If you are fine with cutting some corners (spraying over original paint) you may be able to find it cheaper but make sure you tell the guy. The last car I had painted (75 vette) with a full custom paintjob ran over $12k, and it took me 6 months to find a shop that would even do it.

I would shy away from the "$600 my buddy can do it" deal. Its a big risk and you will probably end up paying a lot more later to fix the original paint.
IOM w/ White Stripes 2SS RS M6 #17772
Now - Stainless Works 2" Headers, Intake, Cam, tune, ect
And shepherds we shall be, For thee my lord for thee. Power has descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.In nomine Patri, Et Fili, Spiritus Sancti
PolishMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #19
SSGator
One slick 2010 Black 2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS 6M
I had my stripes custom painted, extended onto the front bumper and down the back side of the trunk and it is a 3 stage Cystal Red Metallic paint. Had the engine cover done as well. Total cost $1,600.

You guy, completely on serious drugs. Keep looking.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:24 PM   #20
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVER BULLITT View Post
yah everything in cali costs an arm and a legbut thats because we have to pay for so many illegals and everyones unemployment our cost of living is so high
+50 I'm so god damn sick of that.
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:27 PM   #21
sav1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car West Elite View Post
Depending on how you do the stripes, they should range $1000 - $1800 to do it correctly. If you can have it done correctly, $600 is WAY below the shops cost. Factors to consider are:

1. Base coat / clear coat paint or single stage paint?
if clear coated, is the entire panel going to get cleared?
2. Which panels are getting painted? Going into the front bumper?
3. Is the shop going to take the panels off the car to paint?

These are some of the big questions.

Good luck. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Great info, can you explain the diffences in base/ clear/ and single stage?
What looks the best?
Old 08-28-2009, 12:05 AM   #22
Car West Elite

Drives: Camaro,Corvette,Nova,Lexus....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav1 View Post
Great info, can you explain the diffences in base/ clear/ and single stage?
What looks the best?
All the cars built today have either a two stage paint or three stage paint. Two stage paint has a base coat and clear coat. The base coat is the color. The color may include metallic in the base. The clear coat is then applied, which gives it the shine and protection. A three stage paint has a base color, then a pearl coat, and then the clear coat. The most common three stage paints are your pearl whites. There are other colors of three stage paints, but not many on the OEM's. There are a few reds and beige/gold colors are three stage. Single stage paints do not have a clear coat. This is the most common way to get a satin or flat finish.
Clear coat material is very expensive, but the best way to get a long lasting and shiny finish. Paint materials can very a lot. Only the best materials should be used when painting these Camaro's if you want it to look good and last.
Hope that helps.
Car West Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:13 AM   #23
Car West Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishMike View Post
Not an easy job. Most shops make their money repairing damaged cars. Standard run-of-the-mill work thats quick and easy. Custom stuff like this takes extra time and skill and gets expensive.

He is definitely adding a "Camaro tax" but I would expect $2000 for sanding off the original paint and spraying the stripes. That is the proper way to do it. If you are fine with cutting some corners (spraying over original paint) you may be able to find it cheaper but make sure you tell the guy. The last car I had painted (75 vette) with a full custom paintjob ran over $12k, and it took me 6 months to find a shop that would even do it.

I would shy away from the "$600 my buddy can do it" deal. Its a big risk and you will probably end up paying a lot more later to fix the original paint.
You do not need to remove the original paint. All you need to do is properly prepare the panel for refinish and clear the entire panel. Finish sand and polish the panel and you will not feel any edges on the stripe. The original paint is fairly thin and the mil thickness will not be too much after your stripe it. Not sure how you would remove the original paint where the stripe goes.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:20 AM   #24
Dreday
GryGhst

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,03'Chevy Stepside
Quote:
You do not need to remove the original paint. All you need to do is properly prepare the panel for refinish and clear the entire panel. Finish sand and polish the panel and you will not feel any edges on the stripe. The original paint is fairly thin and the mil thickness will not be too much after your stripe it. Not sure how you would remove the original paint where the stripe goes.

What would the cost be for this type of job?
Old 08-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #25
Car West Elite

This job cost $1750. Here is a link to the post that shows more photos.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38735
Old 08-28-2009, 12:25 PM   #26
2010CamaroOutlaw

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS
when i was going to have ghost flames put on my 02 trans am they quoted me 1600 for it, for some simple stripes should be closer to 1k.
2010CamaroOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #27
sav1

Quote:
All the cars built today have either a two stage paint or three stage paint. Two stage paint has a base coat and clear coat. The base coat is the color. The color may include metallic in the base. The clear coat is then applied, which gives it the shine and protection. A three stage paint has a base color, then a pearl coat, and then the clear coat. The most common three stage paints are your pearl whites. There are other colors of three stage paints, but not many on the OEM's. There are a few reds and beige/gold colors are three stage. Single stage paints do not have a clear coat. This is the most common way to get a satin or flat finish.
Clear coat material is very expensive, but the best way to get a long lasting and shiny finish. Paint materials can very a lot. Only the best materials should be used when painting these Camaro's if you want it to look good and last.
Hope that helps.
alright, thanks. great info
Old 08-28-2009, 03:58 PM   #28
69 Camaro 09

Drives: 69 Camaro, 010 2SSRS
If you can make the drive, head to "BoB's Paint and Body" in Pasadena, they did a GREAT job on my car and are very flexible with prices. Let him know i sent you ( Casey Chappell )