Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-14-2009, 10:23 PM   #15
Dano

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
I bought a show & go hide-a-way plate holder that I will mount once I get my car. I will put up some pics once installed. My car should be here in about two weeks.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #16
jakemaxx

Drives: 1969 impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmb1010 View Post
my car except i DON'T want the plate on the front. even tho it is required :(
Old 06-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #17
EarliestMemory
RED HT RS

Drives: 10 VR 2LT/RS Camaro, 06 Harley
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricat View Post
For what it's worth - I installed my front plate this afternoon (NY). The bottom of the plate bracket fits in the lower grillwork 2nd tier, I drilled and extra hole on the outboard side of each top rivet hole and threaded wire ties around the upright grill stanchion behind the rivet hole and tightened them up. Plate bracket mounted NO drilling.
Optional: cut a short piece of vacuum hose and put a slit so it goes around the top of the plate bracket to protect your paint.
Pictures, please? OH requires front plates too, but I really hate the idea of drilling into the fascia, so I am looking at alternatives. Camaropete and TRM002 posted some good ideas in another thread.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:58 AM   #18
Lauryn200
I Pity The Fool

Drives: Jeep Wrangler '06 & VW GTI 09
But since he is buying it out of state..is Illinois residents required to have front plates??

If not than the car will come without it....if you are planning on registering it in NYC and tho you will be in Florida in August.

Will the car be registered here?

If so,it is mandatory you have front plates on the car..or you or your car will be a "cop magnet".....
Lauryn200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #19
boricat
RJT2SS

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Convertible
Send a message via AIM to boricat
Re: Pics Request

For what it's worth - I installed my front plate this afternoon (NY). The bottom of the plate bracket fits in the lower grillwork 2nd tier, I drilled and extra hole on the outboard side of each top rivet hole and threaded wire ties around the upright grill stanchion behind the rivet hole and tightened them up. Plate bracket mounted NO drilling.
Optional: cut a short piece of vacuum hose and put a slit so it goes around the top of the plate bracket to protect your paint.

Note the Plate Bracket mounts LOWER and shows more front facia.

Joe
Attached Images

boricat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #20
CamaroSS426

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro 1SS
Send a message via AIM to CamaroSS426
I'll be looking for an alternative thats for sure... How about electrical ties next to the bow tie on the grill....
CamaroSS426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #21
binlow84

Drives: '10 Camaro, IBM 2LT/RS
I've been struggling with the alternatives to the drill that have popped up on the forums for a while now (for when I actually get a Camaro that is) but nothing has really looked that great to me..... until the wire tie deal. Honestly it's such a simple, obvious fix it's embarrassing not to have thought of it myself.

Even better than running the ties through the bracket, screw some eye hooks into the back of the plate mount and run the wire ties through there. That way if you're out of state/showing off you can just cut the ties and be free of the hideous plate. All ya gotta do is make sure you have extra ties in the glove box for when you need to make it legal and you're good to go.

Also, don't get overzealous with tightening the ties, don't wanna crack the plastic on the grill.
binlow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:10 PM   #22
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarliestMemory View Post
Pictures, please? OH requires front plates too, but I really hate the idea of drilling into the fascia, so I am looking at alternatives. Camaropete and TRM002 posted some good ideas in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boricat View Post

Note the Plate Bracket mounts LOWER and shows more front facia.

Joe

Oh, hey Joe, nice color choice by the way.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #23
SirBrad
The Captain

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS SIM
The best method is to use the 3M double sided tape to get your inspection passed or whatever, then take it off and keep it under the seat.

I'm not sticking a plate on the front of this car, no way!
SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:16 PM   #24
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Unfortunately several of the cops in Suffolk County (L.I.) NY that we've spoken to are unimpressed whether you have a really nice car or not. They will ticket you if you are front plate-less whether its a Vette, Camaro, Lambo, etc. Pulling the plate out after they pull you over will be pointless. They aren't the "warning" types.

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #25
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS View Post
Unfortunately several of the cops in Suffolk County (L.I.) NY that we've spoken to are unimpressed whether you have a really nice car or not. They will ticket you if you are front plate-less whether its a Vette, Camaro, Lambo, etc. Pulling the plate out after they pull you over will be pointless. They aren't the "warning" types.
The BIG thing now in my area is police cars with the plate readers. The damn things read EVERY plate as they go by and instantly checks for warrants on the owner, registration and inspection violations, etc. I spoke with a cop I know and he said there are days they set up with a reader car and two chase cars and can't keep up with the number of cars it tells them to pull over for some sort of violation including would you believe delinquent child support? ... CA-CHING $$$

As much as I HATE the idea of having the plate on the front of the car, it just isn't worth giving them a reason to pull you over nowadays. Hence, my new mounting configuration.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:26 PM   #26
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by trm0002 View Post
The BIG thing now in my area is police cars with the plate readers. The damn things read EVERY plate as they go by and instantly check for warrants on the owner, registration and inspection violations, etc. I spoke with a cop I know and he said there are days they set up with a reader car and two chase cars and can't keep up with the number of cars it tells them to pull over for some sort of violation including would you believe delinquent child support? ... CA-CHING $$$

As much as I HATE the idea of having the plate on the front of the car, it just isn't worth giving them a reason to pull you over nowadays. Hence, my new mounting configuration.
Yup - they started the plate reading also in Suffolk. Agreed, don't need to give them a reason...

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #27
destroyer4

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2006 PT Conv.
Send a message via AIM to destroyer4
Has anyone tried the Swift motor sports hideaway motorized mount or even the manual hideaway mount yet?
6000, Delivered to the customer
7/7/09
destroyer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:57 PM   #28
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer4 View Post
Has anyone tried the Swift motor sports hideaway motorized mount or even the manual hideaway mount yet?
I almost did actually but:
A) I don't like the idea of having to run auxiliary wiring UNDER THE CAR to power the motor
B) Neither of them are stainless steel like mine (now) is and just what do you think is going to happen to something non-stainless that "sits" underneath your car most of the time? At least in my weather seasons.