Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 09-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
Arkios

Drives: 2015 Summit White 1SS
Catch can really needed for an LFX DD?

So I have read of some horror stories about cars without catch cans having visible oil build up in the throttle body and even intake tubes. I finally got around to installing an aftermarket intake the other day and upon inspection, my throttle body and stock intake tube were bone dry - not a trace of oil whatsoever. This is a car with 14k miles on it. Keep in mind that I didn't open up the manifold or anything, so I have no idea whats in there, but it got me thinking...

I understand that that the more you push DI engines, the more oil they will spit out. My car is a a V6 LFX engine daily driver. I dont take it to the track, but I do drive spiritedly from time to time. Would a catch can really be needed* on a car like this, or would the occasional seafoam intake treatment be enough to keep things healthy?

*Needed = required for proper long term function, not just "recommended just in case".

Traded in my V6 for a V8. She looks pretty similar, but sounds a whole lot different!

Performance Mods:
3.91 rear-dif gears, Solo J-pipe axle-back exhaust, New Era Performance OTR intake, Vitesse throttle controller

Cosmetic / Ergonomic Mods:
SRP racing pedals, APEX skip-shift eliminator, RPI stealth splash guards, Plasti-dipped wheels and bowtie inserts,
Matte black hood spears, rear copo spears, "Le Mans" hash marks, gills, and smoked tail lights / side markers

Last edited by Arkios; 09-02-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Arkios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
Pcschwenke

Drives: 2012 2LT RS Rally Yellow
I was wondering the same thing. My wife's LXF was bone dry as well and I've checked it a couple times. One time was during the install of the CAI and another time 6 months later while installing Vmax ported throttle body. It now has just over 8K miles on it. The CC obviously won't hurt it though. My thought is that the oil is just being sucked into the engine and being burnt, creating carbon on the top of the pistons.
Pcschwenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
After emptying my can, I would recommend it.

These are direct injected, so the fuel can't clean the valves like a standard motor. You might not be able to see very well through the TB the build up.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
700 mile drive = 1/4 inch in my catch-can.

hell yeah it's necessary!!!!

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
bleavens1962

Drives: 2014 1LS Camaro
600 miles after install, about an ounce and a half..
bleavens1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #6
Tmick5jr
Todd

Drives: 2012 Camaro
at about 5000 miles on my car (currently at 25k) i started to read about catch cans and absolutely babied my car for fear that i may be hurting the cars performance in the long run. I went out and got an elite engineering catch can and now i don't feel bad about mashing the gas pedal all the time. It made me feel a lot better about the car knowing that i can run it hard and not having to worry about it slowing up over time. The amount of oil i dump from that thing is insane, and would never want that in my engine.
Tmick5jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
If it was really needed they would've included it with the car.

Emphasis on REALLY needed.

I'm sure GM just didn't want to include one more thing to service.

But maybe they should have? Something else to charge us for... lol
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #8
Arkios

Drives: 2015 Summit White 1SS
It seems that the more I read about GDI's, the more I'm on the fence. From what I've read, the LFX made some changes to reduce the carbon build compared to the older LLT motors. Even the late 13 / 14 LFX engines have some changes compared to previous LFX motors for the same purpose.

I may still get a catch can for my 14, or I may just do the occasional power foam / seafoam intake treatment and italian tuneup from time to time. I probably just need to open up my intake manifold and look for my self one of these days and prove it one way or the other.

Traded in my V6 for a V8. She looks pretty similar, but sounds a whole lot different!

Performance Mods:
3.91 rear-dif gears, Solo J-pipe axle-back exhaust, New Era Performance OTR intake, Vitesse throttle controller

Cosmetic / Ergonomic Mods:
SRP racing pedals, APEX skip-shift eliminator, RPI stealth splash guards, Plasti-dipped wheels and bowtie inserts,
Matte black hood spears, rear copo spears, "Le Mans" hash marks, gills, and smoked tail lights / side markers
Arkios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #9
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
There are 2 sides of the PCV system; the clean side and dirty side. During normal driving the clean side lets fresh air into the engine to allow flow from the dirty side. The only time you will get revers flow through the clean side is at wide open throttle. The reason you are not seeing anything in the intake tube/ TB is because that is the clean side.

Remove your TB and shine a light into the intake manifold, where the dirty side feeds into and you'll see a ton of oil; I guarantee it.

As others have said, on direct injection engines, you do not have fuel passing over the intake valves to cleanse them over time, so carbon build-up is a very real problem and a catch can is absolutely necessary for the V6 engines and an important addition to keep your engine clean and running strong for years to come.

The first time you empty your catch can, you'll be come a believer.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #10
Tmick5jr
Todd

Drives: 2012 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post

thats like saying gm didn't put a name brand cold air intake on the car because the car didn't need it, no they did it to keep the price tag down on the car and of course an engine could use more air flow. Adding a catch can would cause them to jack up the price more, and besides, gm wants our engines to get all gunked up and dirty so they can make more money off servicing them.
Tmick5jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #11
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
Quote:

you dont need it but dont expect your car to run at peak performance for very long and why would GM put something on your car that would help in preventative maintenance..you can tell yourself anything you want but the bottom line is ,,its a good idea to have one...
Old 09-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #12
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:

Isn't intake and fuel injection cleaning a "recommended" service for that reason alone?

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:37 PM   #13
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post

The first time you empty your catch can, you'll be come a believer.

Tyler
888-308-6007
Yep....V8 here but I am a believer.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:39 AM   #14
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Here's another angle to consider: oil in the intake charge absolutely kills octane.