Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 02:22 AM   #1
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
Stupid Goverment

this might be a reason that our schools are losing funding...(another thing from my Z site
Quote:
California Crackdown on Modified Cars
$5 million in federal money will fund a Sacramento, California effort to stop drivers in modified cars.

Unmodified Subaru looks modifiedPolice in Sacramento, California announced Wednesday that they would use $5 million in federal money to begin cracking down on auto enthusiasts who modify their vehicles. The money will be used to form an undercover "Drag-Net" unit to stop motorists who appear to be driving modified cars.

The concept, which originated in San Diego in 2001, has been spreading throughout California generating significant revenue for the state and local departments. In Santa Fe Springs, for example, twelve officers on Drag-Net duty issued 300 citations and impounded 50 vehicles in just one weekend. Several cities have drag-racing ordinances that allow police to auction off seized cars and keep the profits.

Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.

In practice, "excessive exhaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

Drivers of stock vehicles that come from the factory with some of the characteristics of modified cars have experienced harassment under this provision. One such motorist complained on an enthusiast website that the California Highway Patrol was using these programs to make "driving while Asian" a crime, pointing out that the department's own website has several pages dedicated to Asian involvement in street racing and "vehicle modification."

Those receiving a vehicle modification "fix-it" ticket must visit a California Bureau of Automobile Repair office and pay a $35 fee to have their car inspected. If the car fails, a judge can impose another fine of up to $2000 for failing to meet California emissions requirements.
8/4/2005
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/05/576.asp

California Expands Crackdown on Modified Cars
California agency issued $4.4 million in local grants for a modified car ticketing campaign that generates more than $10 million in revenue for the state.

Mitsubishi EvoThe California Office of Traffic Safety issued $4.4 million in grants last Friday to three law enforcement agencies to fund an ongoing crackdown on vehicles with "illegal" modifications. The Highway Patrol (CHP) received the largest of the grants at $2,980,587. Ontario police collected $620,000 and Irwindale police $321,044. The grants are designed to fund training and support for efforts to reduce illegal street racing. In practice, the effort has focused on issuing traffic citations to owners of modified cars with the state government collecting far more in citation revenue than has been handed out in grants.

The California Highway Patrol alone issued 101,553 citations worth $10.5 million in 2004 for modified car infractions, according to information the CHP provided to theNewspaper. These tickets were neither moving violations nor safety related. Instead, they included driving with an unapproved exhaust or intake system, using a loud stereo and driving without the rear license plate illuminated. The vast majority of citations, 82,220, were given for dark window tinting while the second greatest number, 8919, were given for driving without a front plate.

Enthusiasts complain much of the law enforcement effort has been directed at cars manufactured in Asia, particularly Hondas and Acuras. Owners of vehicles inspired by cars that race in the World Rally Championship such as the Mitsubishi Evo and Subaru WRX STi also have produced citations that showed the owner of an entirely stock vehicle had been stopped and accused of illegal modifications. In April, Los Angeles police took down the license plate numbers of Evo owners who had merely gathered to swap stories and share the experiences they had in owning similar vehicles. The police then mailed each participant an accusatory letter, even though no law had been broken and no resident had been disturbed by the friendly meeting.

"These vehicles were either gathering in preparation to race, or were actually involved in street racing." Los Angeles Police Chief William J. Bratton wrote. "...We are prepared to prosecute all parties to the full extent of the law."

Police in Riverside and San Bernardino counties last week also generated publicity by inviting television news crews to film four customized automobiles, including a 1993 Honda Civic and a 1998 Acura Integra, being crushed after having been seized over accusations that the cars were illegally modified. Officials claimed that some of the parts used, despite purchase receipts, may have been stolen. The crushing took place without any of the accusations being proved in a court of law.
6/28/2007
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1831.asp

this one is from canada but the stats are from the US fatality analysis reporting system (FARS) [won't c+p, article is kinda long]:

http://sradd.org/2007/09/21/5/
Old 03-12-2008, 02:46 AM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
If it's street racing, that's one thing. If it's just modifying your car...give me a freakin break. I have more important things to do w/ my time....LIKE FIGHT CRIME!!!

EDIT: My car is modified....does that mean I lose my SS to auction???
Old 03-12-2008, 05:31 AM   #3
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
That's not enough... we need to crush it!
Old 03-12-2008, 07:33 AM   #4
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
I'm telling you guys I got pulled over in SD all the time. Luckily for me all my engine mods were 50 state legal. But I had to produce the CARB certs for each mod, assuming the officers knew what to look for. In the 5 years I had my truck there, I got pulled over maybe 8 or 9 times only to prove that I had legal mods, I'm not talking about speeding or anything like that. I was pulled over just to pop the hood... So Cal isn't the Hot Rod home it used to be.

Can you imagine a S/C Camaro with an integrated inercooler. The police are gonna open the hood and start hauling people to jail...

Driver:"No really officer I bought it from the factory like that..."
Officer:" Sorry plucky, you think I was born yesterday... you're going down town sparky."
Old 03-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
smike07

Drives: 1998 convertible Camaro RS
Yeah, California is sounding less, and less like it is even a part of the U.S.A. I hate ricers, yes, but I' like to belittle them with American muscle, not the chopping block! This needs to be addressed by the US legislation pronto! This will likely make it into the Supreme Court as well! It's an enormous violation of the U.S. Constitution! I'm writing a letter PRONTO!!! I live in Texas and will never own a rice cake car, but I know a decent portion of US laws, and that ain't right! Reading this made me so ! It's complete ! The California Government needs a swift and a from Uncle Sam! They're getting carried away to the point of COMMUNISM!!!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
Emu the Foo

Drives: 92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille S/C
Send a message via AIM to Emu the Foo Send a message via Yahoo to Emu the Foo
i was one of the 300 in santa fe springs. i live bout 10 min away and they have big open, empty streets, great for curuisin. i got away, had my souped up nissan truck then but my buddy in his tC got hit hard. luckily i dont make cars look that way. only with tint but thats it. no nothing. and big spoilers on FWD cars is stupid and a dead giveaway. so are stickers. hopefully they wont bug me in my maro now cuz it should be a "gentleman's car"... wink wink

edit: the ticket on his tc was like 537 or 637
Old 03-12-2008, 06:10 PM   #7
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
That sucks. For all the people with modified cars who don't street race, thats completely unfair. Us as being car enthusiasts being basically discouraged to not drive what we love is like trying to convince the country as a whole to not watch football.. (I love football, just a metaphor..)

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Old 03-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #8
camarocrazy28

Drives: 2013 SS
Just think, one day there is going to be an earthquake and all those tree hugging, tofu farting, a-holes are going to fall into the ocean!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
Raven

Drives: 2001 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarocrazy28 View Post
Just think, one day there is going to be an earthquake and all those tree hugging, tofu farting, a-holes are going to fall into the ocean!
Here, here! I'll drink to that!

So, what if Jay Leno is cruisin' around in one of his rides?

This is just yet another reason I have NO desire to live in CA. There are so many other law enforcing things that these guys should be doing. And the money they are dedicating to it is F-ing insane!!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:44 PM   #10
alleykt123
err… MEOW!

Drives: 2005 GTO
Send a message via AIM to alleykt123 Send a message via Yahoo to alleykt123
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarocrazy28 View Post
Hey now, easy there - I'm glad to be in a state that I don't have to garage my rear-wheel drive vehicle because of snow

(Also, I've never hugged a tree, don't fart tofu - just gas, and am not an a-hole but a loveable scamp )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
So, what if Jay Leno is cruisin' around in one of his rides?
I rode his ass up the local twisties once - he just wasn't going fast enough
http://ls2gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139564

Anyway, with all of the insane, wild-hair driving I do there should be a lot more tickets than I have acquired. The media blows everything WAY out of proportion (don't tell me you don't already know that ), so try to take the "reports" with a grain of salt.

And quit bashing on my damn state!! Don't make me come and find you

Quote:
Motorcycle Cop: Whatcha got in the trunk?
J. Frank Parnell: Oh... You don't wanna look in there.

Repo Man
Old 03-12-2008, 11:47 PM   #11
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleykt123 View Post
*hides behind alleykt* "YEAH!"*

*Dave McFly was born and lived 5 years of his life in the 'golden state'
Old 03-13-2008, 12:06 AM   #12
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleykt123 View Post
i'm sure theres a few other supporters out here, there's enough of us as long as they don't team up and work together we should win
Old 03-13-2008, 01:06 AM   #13
Emu the Foo

Drives: 92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille S/C
Send a message via AIM to Emu the Foo Send a message via Yahoo to Emu the Foo
+1. i love my state. and there is bout twice as many of use as there are anywhere. plus the cops cant catch what they cant see.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:09 AM   #14
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu the Foo View Post
+1. i love my state. and there is bout twice as many of use as there are anywhere. plus the cops cant catch what they cant see.
thats why asphalt black is the perfect color for a car