Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 08-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #43
AlphaJaguar55

Drives: 2004 Saturn Ion Redline
F14T0MCAT - There is a lot of great info in there however a lot of it couldn't be further from the truth.

Mobil 1 is a REAL synthetic and is 100% synthetic. Do you really think that the 40+ vehicles they fill from the factory is a bro-deal or some sort of contract? These auto companies have to warranty all of their vehicles and they wouldn't use some sort of fake oil in their vehicles just to have to fix them because they oil doesn't perform.

Want to know the real truth - go search and find out where Royal Purple and Amsoil buy their base stocks from. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised. Small companies like RP and Amsoil are that way for a reason, if they made a better product they would sell more of it and be as big as Mobil 1 is - not mixing it in bathtubs behind their corporate offices like they do now.

The facts are all out there for everyone to see, F1, Le Mans, NHRA, OEMs, nobody even comes close to Mobil 1 achievements, research or facilities to make the best oil on the planet. These statements you just made are misleading and unfair to this community. Ask racers at your local strip, circle track or other racing session. When they build motors and use oils like Amsoil, Royal Purple, Eneos, they have to rebuild their motors more times in a season than with Mobil 1.

Also, to hit on additives. You can't just drop a pack of zinc, etc into your oil and expect it to actually mix in your oil and work. 100% of the time the additives end up on the bottom of your oil pan where they stay, doing nothing for your motor and clogging up oil pickup lines, etc.

Opinion is great and healthy for discussion but don't post things that are totally biased and obviously produced by some small oil company with the intent of misleading others. It's not cool.
AlphaJaguar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #44
thirdlobe
Drink the Kool-Aid...

Drives: its Rad!
Send a message via AIM to thirdlobe
Quote:
Originally Posted by FI4T0MCAT View Post
yes mobile 1 is not a rel synthetic.

" Mobil 1 motor oils are 100% synthetic, utilizing the PAO basestock and proprietary blend of additives that is tailored specifically for each viscosity. Mobil does not discuss specifics about our motor oil formulations."
T0MCAT,

I think before you really start sharing your opinion on something as complex as oils, maybe you should spell Mobil 1 correctly and know they are not from mobile, AL. Its "real" not "rel".

With this being said. It looks like you just did not like the answer they gave you. That's okay for you not to like that. I didn't expect anything else but a very corporate response from Mobil 1. Did you expect them to give you the formula and the specific additives they create for you to duplicate. You asked a simple question and they answered it with out detail. Being as large of a company that Mobil 1 is I don't expect them to try and pull the wool over our eyes. The company is to public, they are not Enron.

I gained more power with Mobil 1 and do not have issues of wear in my motors. I will continue to use their product and will not be quick to change "my whole fleet" because of someones opinion on a forum.
thirdlobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #45
FI4T0MCAT

Drives: 1969 SS Camaro
are you two mildly retarded, or just like to make your first and only posts on this forum argumentative. Read the LAST 4 WORDS of my original post. I got this information from a friend who is an old motor head, and a professional engine builder. But obviously you guys know more than they do. So please everyone divert any questions you have about oil to these 2 guys here. Im not posting in this thread anymore.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #46
AlphaJaguar55

Quote:
are you two mildly retarded, or just like to make your first and only posts on this forum argumentative. Read the LAST 4 WORDS of my original post. I got this information from a friend who is an old motor head, and a professional engine builder. But obviously you guys know more than they do. So please everyone divert any questions you have about oil to these 2 guys here. Im not posting in this thread anymore.
I don't have a Camaro but am looking to get one soon so I've been lurking for the past 6 months or so .

Not saying a know more than anyone that builds engines for a living but I know a bunch of guys that do as well and their information directly conflicts with yours. I'm not an engineer but I do know how to decipher fact from fiction.

Like I said, there definitely was some quality info in your original post but the subjective content was absolutely misguided at best.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #47
FI4T0MCAT

well alpha, you did like i said everyone should do, their OWN research. Like i said a number of times before, i found what works for me, and thats what i do. If someone doesnt like what i posted they dont need to listen to it. My frustrations were more aimed at "thirdlobe" who decided that his first bit of input would be to try and correct a typing error, of which it wasnt even MINE. Obviously he gets his jollies off trying to be right at everything all the time.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #48
AlphaJaguar55

Quote:
well alpha, you did like i said everyone should do, their OWN research. Like i said a number of times before, i found what works for me, and thats what i do. If someone doesnt like what i posted they dont need to listen to it.
Like yourself I like to do my own research to make sure I'm always using the best product. I guess I just find solace in using a derivative of the same product that F1, NASCAR and cars A LOT more expensive and intricate than my own use to win races and last a long time.

To add some subjective info of my own in here, I've only used Mobil 1, since that's what my car came factory fill with, like the Camaro. I follow the oil change indicator in my car which usually tells me to change oil every 9,000-11,000 miles (I drive about 90% highway so the RPMs are low and I go longer before the light goes off).

I recently took my engine out to put in one with forged pistons, ported head, blah blah blah and when my old engine was taken apart, you couldn't even tell the bearings, rings, seals were used, they looked like brand new parts. That was after 70,000 miles of beating the piss out of it (other 10% was track duty, lol). I'm not an engineer but I don't think an oil can get better than that...
Old 08-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #49
thirdlobe
Drink the Kool-Aid...

Quote:
I happen to be mildly retarded and I can tell you its not nice to call names. I did not attack you I made comments about your post that made perfect sense. You spelled something incorrectly and I thought you may want to know. I dont mean to be argumentative but I am here doing the same thing you are. Sharing an opinion. Can I have a rant like yours and it be okay as long as I write at the end "Just kidding"? You are giving advice that many people are looking at and taking it for more than a grain of salt.

So you got this information from a friend that has a cousin that met a girl down the alley, where her boyfriend was working on his brand new Camaro? Was his name Dale Earnhardt Jr?

I dont need to answer everyone's questions since I am far from being qualified to answer them. It would be nice to post some facts and not fiction or hear say.

Hey and just for you to take notes this is my second post. I know you will want to mention it in your response. Seriously, I am not here to pick a fight. The first post you had in this thread was devaluing a company and you did not say it was someones opinion, you began writing as it were fact.

If you take any of this offensively I am sorry. I am just trying to be subjectional.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #50
FI4T0MCAT

Hey i dont care if you say what i posted is wrong or not, I cant claim it as my own. All i did is post it for everyones reference. I use my own blend, and its kept everything i own running great, just dont make your first words out of the gate an attempt to insult someone (by, for example correcting their typing errors). We all make mistakes man, it doesnt make you any better than me, or me any better than you to point them out.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:47 PM   #51
thirdlobe
Drink the Kool-Aid...

You are absolutely right, we ALL make mistakes. I am not claiming to be better than anyone and what works for me has worked for me. I can respect what you have going for yourself and if that works for you, push forward. I just have learned not to make certain blanket statements and absolutes.

No hard feelings and please I am not being "smart" by saying this. What do you add to your base oil?
Old 08-19-2009, 05:30 PM   #52
FI4T0MCAT

no hard feelings. I used to use nothing but rotella t, but the govt stepped in and make them change their formula, so now i run a RP with zddp blend. There is a caviot to mobile 1. yes it does contain dino oil, but thats part of its major success. Full synthetics such as RP are so slick they actuall squeese out from between contact areas. Normal dino oils will have somewhere around .009 inch barrior, while full synthetics will have somthing like .001 There is alot more to motor oil than just lubrication.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #53
AlphaJaguar55

Quote:
no hard feelings. I used to use nothing but rotella t, but the govt stepped in and make them change their formula, so now i run a RP with zddp blend. There is a caviot to mobile 1. yes it does contain dino oil, but thats part of its major success. Full synthetics such as RP are so slick they actuall squeese out from between contact areas. Normal dino oils will have somewhere around .009 inch barrior, while full synthetics will have somthing like .001 There is alot more to motor oil than just lubrication.
It's nice to see people still being with oils. Too add to your comment, actually that is a common myth - Mobil 1 is a 100% pure synthetic and uses nothing but synthetic base stocks which it makes in-house. Some of those base stocks it sells to companies like RP, Eneos, etc. The secret to Mobil 1 is the what the magic mixture they add afterwards that differentiates itself from others.

Not trying to dis you here but Royal Purple delivers the power it does by under delivering on protection. There are companies that specialize in oil analysis and guys on other boards I'm on have submitted their RP oil samples to find that the additives were so out of wack that the oil actually changed viscosity from a 30 weight to a 50 weight over the course a few thousand miles because of the unbalance of the additives RP had in it and the heat bonded some of the molecules together resulting in the oil acting like a thicker weight. If you do some google-ing (sp? lol) I'm sure you'll find tons of stuff like that. Very interesting to see stuff like that from labs and guys a lot smarter than ourselves
Old 08-19-2009, 05:57 PM   #54
CTS

Drives: 2021 Sierra Denali 6.2L/10sp CC 4WD
Quote:
Too add to your comment, actually that is a common myth - Mobil 1 is a 100% pure synthetic and uses nothing but synthetic base stocks which it makes in-house. Some of those base stocks it sells to companies like RP, Eneos, etc.
Exxon-Mobil Chemical manufactures base stocks for the industry such as PAO's. Exxon Mobil Motor Oil manufactures finished products, Mobil 1 and other branded oil. They are 2 different companies under one corp., sort of like GM.

Any notion the mineral oil is better than synthetic is false. Conventional oils – the oils most people are familiar with – are refined from crude oil. Refining is a process of physically separating light oil components from heavy ones. Crude oil contains a full range of different kinds of molecules. Many are similar in weight but not in structure. The refining process cannot distinguish such molecules, so a wide assortment of molecules is present in a finished lubricant made from crude oil stocks.

Some crude oil molecules are not beneficial to the lubrication process. For example, paraffin causes refined lubricants to thicken and flow poorly in cold temperatures. Molecules containing sulfur, nitrogen and other elements invite the formation of sludge and other products of lubricant breakdown, especially in high-temperature applications. Sludge and breakdown products significantly increase wear rates. The assorted molecules of refined lubricants also have different shapes, making lubricant surfaces irregular at the molecular level. As lubricant layers flow across one another during the lubrication process, these irregularities create friction, which consumes power, reduces efficiency and increases heat and wear.

Synthetic lubricants are chemically engineered from pure chemicals rather than refined from crude oil. That gives them significant advantages over refined oils.
The base stocks from which synthetic lubricants are made contain no sulfur, nitrogen or other elements that invite the formation of sludge and other products of lubricant breakdown. Synthetic lubricants can be used in higher temperatures than refined lubricants without breaking down. Their resistance to breakdown also allows them to be used longer than refined lubricants can be used. Lubricated systems stay cleaner and last longer with synthetics.

The base stocks from which synthetic lubricants are made feature uniform and smooth molecular structures, which ensures low friction as lubricant layers slide across one another. Reduced friction increases energy through-put for greater fuel efficiency and power, and reduces heat and wear for longer equipment life. Molecular uniformity also helps synthetics resist thinning in heat and thickening in cold, which helps them protect better than refined oils over a system’s operating temperature range and helps ensure secure sealing.

Many different kinds of base stocks may be used to create synthetic lubricants, allowing a synthetic to be designed for virtually any application. Some base stocks are ideal for use in extremely cold environments, others are perfect for use in extreme heat. Some are extremely safe in applications in which refined lubricants pose a fire or explosion hazard. Refined oils simply do not offer the design flexibility synthetics offer. The designability of synthetics also allows them to be tailored very specifically to the needs of everyday applications, such as automotive engines, commercial equipment or industrial machinery. That specificity helps ensure long life and peak power, performance and fuel economy from the lubricated system, as well as long lubricant life.

Last edited by CTS; 08-19-2009 at 06:33 PM.
CTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #55
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Where do you recommend a place to order Royal Purple and Royal Purple/K&N filters? Are these filters equal quality?

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #56
deljaso

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Where do you recommend a place to order Royal Purple and Royal Purple/K&N filters? Are these filters equal quality?
Cheapest I could find royal purple at was amazon (free shipping, no tax) at about $100/case for 5w/30. Don't know about filters, they didn't have the v6 filters there when I checked.
Another place to check is the bargains forum at www.bobistheoilguy.com
deljaso is offline   Reply With Quote