Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 07-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

Drives: 06 GTO, 92 Camaro RS, 84 Trans Am
Send a message via AIM to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via MSN to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow-phoenix
Question Lt1 questions...

Im picking up a 93 Firebird Formula as soon as i get the cash, It has the LT1 in it, and I was wondering if the Intake manifold from the LS1 will fit on it, Also, I am looking into some other options, Im planning a cold air kit, and a new exhaust, as well as a performance chip... I'm hoping for around a 400 horse 190 mph monster... possible? or am i gonna have to do more to it? any input would help.

Rust is the vehicular form of cancer.

A stupid owner is a Camaro's worst fear, second only to the though of going to the crusher.

Camaro: a vicious animal that eats rice for breakfast, and mustangs for dinner.
Shadow-phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
wow....

the intake manifold from an LS1 will not fit. they are completely different motors. LT1 is a Gen II block whereas the LS1 is a Gen III motor. cold air kits are all do the same thing, so find one used for a good price and get a new filter. pacesetter headers are a great cheap exhaust to go to if you want to run longtubes, also do you have to deal with emissions testing? magnaflow catback or true duals for the rest of the exhaust. unfortunately, being a 93, you cant reprogram the pcm and have to chip it. however, do NOT buy one of those $30.00 ebay chips expecting high gains. wait till you get some boltons to even begin to worry about a tune. then check out pcmforless and ask for brian. for the exhaust, contact shon @ https://securehost98.hrwebservices.net/~herronp/store/
tell him Greg Norris sent you. he can get you a set of ceramic coated Pacesetter Longtubes and Off-road Y-pipe for roughly 500 bucks.

400 hp is not unattainable, but you will not get there on bolt-ons. you will need at least a head/cam packaged to boot.

but keep this in mind, the bolt-on record for lt1 fbody is 11.9 for manual and 11.6 for auto. roughly 345 hp.

if you got any more questions feel free to ask.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Honestly, just enjoy the car as it is right now and don't expect it to be as responsive to bolt-ons as an LS1 car. They are fun cars (I have one) and sound better than an LS1 I think.

Take your time to learn about the LT1 and what it responds well to before going off and buying stuff. You will need to buy LT1 specific parts since nothing from the past or future really fits it. It is a good engine but you may get waterpump/opti-spark problems in the pre '85 cars.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:17 PM   #4
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Honestly, just enjoy the car as it is right now and don't expect it to be as responsive to bolt-ons as an LS1 car. They are fun cars (I have one) and sound better than an LS1 I think.
its tricky with these damn motors, some are responsive, some arent to mods. but yes, they def sound better than LS1s.

Quote:
Take your time to learn about the LT1 and what it responds well to before going off and buying stuff. You will need to buy LT1 specific parts since nothing from the past or future really fits it. It is a good engine but you may get waterpump/opti-spark problems in the pre '85 cars.
if that isnt the truth i dont know what is. i think you meant to say 95 cars, but the opti/water pump went all the way till '97 however after 95 they started equipping the cars with a vented opti. esp considering since the lt1 didnt come out till 92...lol

ive got a list full of LT1 specific sites that i can pm you or post up along with crap tons of personal info from working on these damn motors for so long.

oh, couple things i also forgot. you have a 700r4 transmission, also called a 4l60. DO NOT get this confused with the 4L60e that is the electronically controlled version of the transmission that debuted in 94.
also you do not have a mass air flow sensor (MAF) your motor runs in whats called Speed Density mode.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:

Last edited by CamaroSpike23; 07-25-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
-RO- Upgrade

Drives: 3.4 v6, black CamaRO
Send a message via Yahoo to -RO- Upgrade
Sup people, I have a few question. First, Im upgraden to a LT1 from 3.4 v6. Yes i kno a lot of work but it will be worth it right? SO my problem is finding a used Lt1, so if u have any places I can check out to get one, I would be very greatful. Second question it may sound a lil stupid but can U have a turbo charged engine & steel ram air it? Crazy i kno but it dont hurt to ask. Im also looking for a MK3 Hood but only found one on ebay & i dont do ebay Well if u could private message cause I dont really have time to read all tha stuff put on the forum, once again i would be very greatful. Well hope someone can help me
Old 07-26-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

junkyards, craigslist, ebay, local car forums,

throw a procharger on there or an STS turbo unless you plan on doing a lot of work. there isnt much room in the engine bay of these cars to work with. and if you are going with forced induction, then you dont need to worry about ram air. on top of getting the motor, you will need the wiring harness, gauges, computer, transmission, suspension, cooling system, etc. a lot more than just pulling a motor and dropping it in. btw, is that your car in your avatar?

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 07-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
Hylton

Thanks for the corection Greg - I did mean 95 instead if '85.

If you are looking for an LT1, check some old Buicks and Cadillacs as they also came with them. You might find them cheaper if you pull them out of the bigger cars than the sports cars.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Thanks for the corection Greg - I did mean 95 instead if '85.

If you are looking for an LT1, check some old Buicks and Cadillacs as they also came with them. You might find them cheaper if you pull them out of the bigger cars than the sports cars.

well...yes and no.

the LT1 came in the following

C4 Corvette 92-96

F-body 93-97

B-body 94-96
(buick roadmaster and rdmaster wagon, chevy caprice, impala SS,)
and
D-body 94-96
Caddy Fleetwood

however the vettes and f-bodies had aluminum heads where as the b&d bodies had cast iron heads. cams are different, head gaskets are different, harmonic balancers are different.

and a less known tidbit of info. there was also a 4.3L "LT1" (it was actually called an L99) available that looks identical to the 5.7L except for the casting number and a 4.3 cast into the top of the block in front of the bell housing flange.

ive had a couple friends get screwed cus they got an "LT1" but it was a 4.3L instead of a 5.7L.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 07-27-2008, 05:19 PM   #9
-RO- Upgrade

Drives: 3.4 v6, black CamaRO
Send a message via Yahoo to -RO- Upgrade
Ok well bout tha ram air thang, I was just asking but I am going to turbocharge it for sure & yesterday I found a man that is turning his RO into a drag car. SO he is selling his LT1 for 900 with most of the stuff I need to install but yea it's going to be a lot of work, I know. Like i said at the end it will be worth it. OH & about that 4.3l & 5.7l thing THANKS i will be looking out for that...lol & can u tell me what tha deff.. from a procharge & a STS turbo? About that can that on my avatar pretty much, see mine looks just like that but the headlight r Angel Eyes now & my car is black.

OH & mines a not a convertable...lol
Old 07-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #10
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RO- Upgrade View Post
Ok well bout tha ram air thang, I was just asking but I am going to turbocharge it for sure & yesterday I found a man that is turning his RO into a drag car. SO he is selling his LT1 for 900 with most of the stuff I need to install but yea it's going to be a lot of work, I know. Like i said at the end it will be worth it. OH & about that 4.3l & 5.7l thing THANKS i will be looking out for that...lol & can u tell me what tha deff.. from a procharge & a STS turbo? About that can that on my avatar pretty much, see mine looks just like that but the headlight r Angel Eyes now & my car is black.

motor swap is worth it for some things, but not for others, just depends on what you want and what you are willing to pay.
you'll still need a transmission to swap over as well.

the difference for a procharger vs an STS?
the biggest difference is one is a turbo, the other is a S/C

procharger is a Supercharger
STS is a rear mounted turbo
both run about 5-7 psi (which is about the safest you can go on a stock bottom end), the STS runs parallel to your exhaust and the turbo itself is in the back of the car and running it that way makes up for the lack of an intercooler.

Procharger:
http://www.procharger.com/GM/gm_auto.shtml

STS turbo:
http://www.ststurbo.com/camaro_lt1

and you can custom make your own turbo setup like many do. but there is not a whole lot of room to play with in the engine bay of these cars.

and with both forms of f/i on these motors,you cant run a lot of boost untill you swap to forged rotating assy and drop your compression ration down to 9.5 or so

so you did the Angel eye mod? got some pics? im throwin a website together with technical info for damn near anything you can think of from minor electrical to full blown motor swaps/machining.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 07-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #11
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

Send a message via AIM to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via MSN to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow-phoenix
Thanks for all the help, Unfortunately tha guy backed out of the deal, so I have to hunt some more...

A stupid owner is a Camaro's worst fear, second only to the though of going to the crusher.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:38 AM   #12
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

one other thing, what year did GM start using the LS1 in the F-Body's?

Old 07-31-2008, 10:50 AM   #13
Hylton

Old 08-01-2008, 09:32 AM   #14
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

Thought so, I'm hoping I can find an LS1 Camaro of Trans Am, I like the body styling better on the 98 an up cars anyway.