Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 07-30-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Questions on Performance Tuning...

I'm obviously new at this "performance tuning" business so here it goes:

1) After I install shorty headers and an "X" pipe Cat-back exhaust system along with OTR RAM Air system, will I REALLY need to get a tune in order to take advantage of the performance parts I just installed or will the computer eventually "learn" and make it's own adjustments that would equal a professional tune?

2) If I get a professional tune, will the new configuration get wiped out when the battery is diconnected or do the settings get saved into eprom chips or something, i.e., if I pay good $ for a tune, will it all get wiped out and I have to get the car re-tuned costing me even more $?

3) I think I already know the answer to this one but does getting a performance tune automatically void the warranty on the engine? I'm not worried about the warranty on the exhaust but the engine is a different story.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
Steve@Vectormotorsports

Drives: Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrock View Post

1) After I install shorty headers and an "X" pipe Cat-back exhaust system along with OTR RAM Air system, will I REALLY need to get a tune in order to take advantage of the performance parts I just installed or will the computer eventually "learn" and make it's own adjustments that would equal a professional tune?

2) If I get a professional tune, will the new configuration get wiped out when the battery is diconnected or do the settings get saved into eprom chips or something, i.e., if I pay good $ for a tune, will it all get wiped out and I have to get the car re-tuned costing me even more $?

3) I think I already know the answer to this one but does getting a performance tune automatically void the warranty on the engine? I'm not worried about the warranty on the exhaust but the engine is a different story.

1 The ECM will not learn and calibrate itself, a tuner will need to do this for you.

2 The calibration is written to the ECM and when battery power is disconected the tune will still be there.

3 They may decide to not cover a claim if a different calibration is found. We have tools that can make the new calibration appear as the stock calibration to the GM tech 2.

Steve@Vectormotorsports
1-586-790-2970
Steve@Vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
wirebender

Drives: 2017 ZL1, A10, White, sunroof, nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@Vectormotorsports View Post
1 The ECM will not learn and calibrate itself, a tuner will need to do this for you.

2 The calibration is written to the ECM and when battery power is disconected the tune will still be there.

3 They may decide to not cover a claim if a different calibration is found. We have tools that can make the new calibration appear as the stock calibration to the GM tech 2.

Steve@Vectormotorsports
1-586-790-2970
Please elaborate on the "tools".
wirebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
wirebender

Drives: 2017 ZL1, A10, White, sunroof, nav
Also, how do you respond to this statement from another thread?
"Being a Camaro SS the first thing GM would do for a powertrain related warranty would be to scan the computer for modifications. Newer GM PCMs keep a history of how many computer flashes there have been, there is no way around that. Once they find there has been a non-dealer reflash GM will automatically deny the warranty claim, and void the rest of the powertrain warranty. Even if the dealer is cool with it, from what I understand if it were a major repair (engine, transmission, ect.) a regional GM rep would have to approve the repair first, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

And before someone says "Magnuson-Moss", it would be Scott's responsibility to lawyer up, take GM to court, and prove the aftermarket tune had nothing to do with damage to his powertrain. I'm also relativly certain all PCM flashes GM does have to go through emissions testing first. Which means I'm also relativly certain any aftermarket PCM modifications would violate Federal Emission laws. Right or wrong, how likely would a judge be to side with someone on a warranty claim who is breaking Federal law? There is almost no way you can tune your car and keep the warranty."
I'm just tryin to learn along with everyone else! Thanx for the info & help!
wirebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrock View Post

1.) you wont NEED a tune to see some benefits. to maximize the your power, yes, you will want/need a tune tho. the computer in the car will only make adjustments that are preprogrammed into it. it will advance the timing and adjust the fuel....somewhat.

2.) no, the new tune will overwrite the stock tune and be stored in the computer if you pull the power.

3.) that depends on a few things. mainly the dealer, and the type of problem you are bringing the car in on warranty for. some tuners have said they have "undetectable" tunes that keep the GM "key" written into the programming and pass for a normal tune.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:48 PM   #6
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirebender View Post
Please elaborate on the "tools".
Good luck on that question!!!!!

Probably not a good idea to advertise this on a public forum with watching eyes everywhere..

Gm Tech2 no worky with 2010 camaro.

My .02

Andy

Last edited by ADM PERFORMANCE; 07-31-2009 at 07:24 AM.
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
Mike TexaSS

Drives: 454 LS7 Camaro SS
With the tech 2 enter the car as a 2009 G8 works like a charm.
Mike TexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote