Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #29
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandoug1 View Post
I am slated to get Expel Armour next week for $1300, in your pic you see an obvious line, can I expect the same when they complete mine?
I have a clear bra on mine and yes you can see the "obvious" line, but only when your three or four feet from the car. Further back than that and it virtually disappears. Only pain in the neck, IMO, is whenever you wax the car and you get a buildup of wax along the line. You have to spend extra time cleaning out the lines. If you let it dry out, the longer it stays the harder it is to remove those wax buildup lines. If I could do it over again the only thing different I would do is I would put on the Opti-coat 2.0 after the clear bra. From what I've read it's the best bang for 70 bucks spent.

Also, IMO, the best way I've found to remove the wax buildup along the clear bra lines is give it a spray of quick detail spray and then rub off the buildup along the lines. I use my finger nail with a micro fiber towel, and some folks use a q-tip.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #30
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Great thread, quick question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskSS View Post
Have the clear bra as well as the entire car opticoated and it flat rocks.
Just California duster and spray wax to maintain on a daily basis.
Things wipe right off with no effort.

When I do wash its just so simple.
Best exterior mod ever.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Just got my 1LE and the dealer put on what they call Zak Tek. The way they describe it's like opticoat.

My question, is about the 'California Duster'. I always ignored that saying to myself that it would just scratch the car as it dusts it.
Are you saying that thing actually works for very light dust and will not scratch the car?

When you say spray wax on a daily basis, do you mean a detailer or actual spray wax like turtle or similar

Thanks
Jim
Jims Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:23 AM   #31
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
Just got my 1LE and the dealer put on what they call Zak Tek. The way they describe it's like opticoat.

My question, is about the 'California Duster'. I always ignored that saying to myself that it would just scratch the car as it dusts it.
Are you saying that thing actually works for very light dust and will not scratch the car?

When you say spray wax on a daily basis, do you mean a detailer or actual spray wax like turtle or similar

Thanks
Jim

With the duster just make sure and not press while cleaning. Let the tassels do the cleaning without any pressure. I used it here all spring with the pollen falling fast and furious with no problems
Old 06-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #32
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostnkost View Post
With the duster just make sure and not press while cleaning. Let the tassels do the cleaning without any pressure. I used it here all spring with the pollen falling fast and furious with no problems
Same here, pollen in New England is crazy for like a month straight. Come out in the morning and the car is green. The California Duster is like 12 bucks at Walmart and it really does work. Instructions say the more its used the better it works. No scratches, like he said, just lightly dust over the car and let the tassels do their job. I recommend it!
Old 06-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #33
beetlei

Drives: 2013 2SS / RS
Do the opti-coat yourself. So simple and easy.
beetlei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #34
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlei View Post
Do the opti-coat yourself. So simple and easy.
Prep Prep Prep. Make sure you clay bar the entire car first, every inch, TWICE. PREP is the most important part. Don't want to seal all those contaminants under the OC2. Junkman Rules! You're looking at SIX HOURS of prep if you want it done correctly. Unless you're one of those Half-Ass kinda guys. For some folks, "good enough" is good enough. NO THANKS, No Half-Ass Wanted, if that's to much work for ya, have a pro do the job, and make sure he's Not a Half-Ass kinda guy!
Old 06-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #35
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Prep Prep Prep. Make sure you clay bar the entire car first, every inch, TWICE. PREP is the most important part. Don't want to seal all those contaminants under the OC2. Junkman Rules! You're looking at SIX HOURS of prep if you want it done correctly. Unless you're one of those Half-Ass kinda guys. For some folks, "good enough" is good enough. NO THANKS, No Half-Ass Wanted, if that's to much work for ya, have a pro do the job, and make sure he's Not a Half-Ass kinda guy!
+1. You must also get the paint perfect before you apply OC2. If not you will lock all those scratches under the coat
Old 06-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #36
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:

Thanks
Jim
I'm using Adam spray detailer and a duster as needed.
The duster gets nearly all the dust and the waterless wash and spray detailer does the rest.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #37
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskSS View Post
I'm using Adam spray detailer and a duster as needed.
The duster gets nearly all the dust and the waterless wash and spray detailer does the rest.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Can I get this duster in an autoparts store or are there different brands with some being better?

Jim
Old 06-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #38
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Quote:
Can I get this duster in an autoparts store or are there different brands with some being better?

Jim

How do you clean the Duster?

Jim
Old 06-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #39
Normagene

Quote:
JimName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372280882.235290.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  188.6 KB
Tons of places carry it, got mine at Walmart for like 12 bucks. To clean just shake it out vigorously. The dirtier it gets the better it works.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #40
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Opticoat.

Where do I get opticoat 2.0. Can I apply it myself?

Jim
Old 08-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #41
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
Quote:
Where do I get opticoat 2.0. Can I apply it myself?

Jim
It's fairly easy to apply opti coat 2.0.
You must polish the swirls out first unless you want it trapped under the coating.