Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 05-24-2016, 12:47 AM   #15
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX Camaro View Post
I am shaking my head?

"You" would recommend replacing the timing chain but not the lifters with a new cam?
Re-using LS water pump gaskets?
No Trunnion upgrade? Why would you ask the tuner and not the engine builder??
What would you recommend?
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:07 AM   #16
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
Me personally, I wouldn't but they can be reused, they are not the old paper and cork gaskets that they used to be. Why don't you stop being a condescending jerk and offer some constructive advise, instead of just tearing down others.
REALLY DUDE! You are obviously NOT very bright and perhaps cannot read. I gave some very specific recommendations based on 30 years of experience. I am not some weekend warrior mouthing off.

I just re-read through the previous posts, Wow! so much BullShit!!!
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:12 AM   #17
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
[

Quote:
I am shaking my head?

"You" would recommend replacing the timing chain but not the lifters with a new cam?
Re-using LS water pump gaskets?
No Trunnion upgrade? Why would you ask the tuner and not the engine builder??
Quote:
Quote:
Why would you re-use any gasket? Please give me your professional opinion?
Quote:
REALLY DUDE! You are obviously NOT very bright and perhaps cannot read. I gave some very specific recommendations based on 30 years of experience. I am not some weekend warrior mouthing off.

I just re-read through the previous posts, Wow! so much BullShit!!!

Where is your specific recommendations? All I see is emoji's and criticism. I could infer that you would do the opposite of the things you are criticizing, but then you don't say that, do you? I'll take my 15 years of shop and dyno experience over your 30 years of lawn mower maintenance any day.

GROW UP!
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:21 AM   #18
LSX Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
What would you recommend?
Custom spec cam
Head bolts/studs
Head gaskets
Lifters

CNC Ported Heads

Timing Chain

Timing Chain Dampener

Oil Pump

Rocker Arm upgrade

Spark Plugs

Oil Changes/Additives/Filters

Plug Wires/Socks

Thermostat

ARP Bolts
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
Old 05-24-2016, 01:23 AM   #19
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Now those are specific recommendations.....

30 years of experience to state whats already been stated. Thanks for helping this weekend warrior get smarter.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:24 AM   #20
DarthZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
Well, this is going well.

I was an ASE certified master technician back in the 80's and early 90's. I'm a weekend warrior now, and very proud of it. I am also of the same school as LSX Camaro by thinking UPGRADE ALL THE THINGS while you're going to have the engine apart. I've done that many times and would continue to do it.

The difference here is that it's a BRAND NEW crate LSA. And I'm also willing to admit I've never torn one of these engines apart, so I have no idea WHAT would NEED upgraded.

I assumed that since the camshaft is different, you're going to change the valvetrain geometry and probably at least need new pushrods, but I don't know, that's why I asked.

I didn't ask about gaskets and fluids because that's a given. I was specifically asking if the current valvetrain was okay to use with a more "aggressive" camshaft. The more I think on it, the more I'm pretty certain that the pushrods are gonna need changed anyhow. So, there's one question down.

Some re-use the lifters, some don't. I would think in this situation since essentially there's not been hardly ANY wear on them, they probably could be re-used. But, is there a REAL reason other than "you might as well while you're in there" to do it? What are the stock lifters lacking that an aftermarket lifter would offer?

There is no need to turn this into a pissing contest. If you have an opinion I'd like to hear it. Personally I'm not interested in reading through "my d*ck is bigger" comments. We're all here for the same reason.

Thank you for those that have responded with what they have done. I also would appreciate reading what other's have to say as well.
--- DarthZL1 - 2014 ZL1 #2095 M6 Black. Bone Stock ---
--- BigNLo - 1996 Impala SS Hot Rod Black. Lots of mods ---
DarthZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:26 AM   #21
DarthZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Custom spec cam
Head bolts/studs
Head gaskets
Lifters
CNC Ported Heads
Timing Chain
Timing Chain Dampener
Oil Pump
Rocker Arm upgrade
Spark Plugs
Oil Changes/Additives/Filters
Plug Wires/Socks
Thermostat
ARP Bolts
So, according to you list, you would NOT change the pushrods? Why?
--- DarthZL1 - 2014 ZL1 #2095 M6 Black. Bone Stock ---
--- BigNLo - 1996 Impala SS Hot Rod Black. Lots of mods ---
DarthZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:48 AM   #22
E. Bryant
Gearhead

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I would not re-use the stock pushrods with an aftermarket cam! They just aren't stiff enough to properly carry the loads from aggressive lobe ramp rates and stiffer valve springs, and once they start acting as a spring, it will beat the hell out of the lifters, rockers, and valve tips. Get a proper set of thick-wall pushrods; they are an important part of the valvetrain and cannot be ignored if you want parts to live.

As far as gaskets go, I'd recommend spending the money on new ones; they are just about the cheapest part of a cam swap. That being said, if the gaskets aren't damaged during removal, they can be reused (note that "can" is not the same thing as "should"). It'd suck to drain the cooling system and pull apart the FEAD just because a $3 water pump gasket was reused and didn't seal properly. It'd be a different story if I were 18, poor, was working on a junkyard 5.3L, and had time to do the job twice

Quote:
As soon as you start giving out real info on this forum they ban you
I'm gonna guess that if a mod contacted you about this thread, it had nothing to due with giving out "real info"

2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6 - JRE 650 RWHP kit, AFCO heat exchanger, JPSS V4 aero, Z28 wheels for the twisties and Weld big-n-littles for the dragstrip.
11.193@128.13 in 515' DA
E. Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:13 AM   #23
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
This is what I did, not saying you NEED to do this:

ls2 damper
c5r timing chain
comp cams trunion upgrade
new valve seals
cadillac racing lifters
Dual valve springs

Stephen12ZL1, and ZO6 Bryan are dead on, great advice.
Oh yeah, valve seals. Forgot that one.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #24
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
The days of having to have new lifters with a cam are gone with roller lifters. The cam and lifters don't have to be "run in together" during break-in like old flat tappet cams.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:37 AM   #25
LSX Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthZL1 View Post
So, according to you list, you would NOT change the pushrods? Why?
Yes pushrods are always changed. Measure for the correct length.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:40 AM   #26
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Good thread here...

Anyway, I would suggest asking BTR.

I did the following:

BTR stage 3 pd cam
Pushrods
Comp trunions
Springs
Seats/seals
Retainers (ti)
3 bolt sprocket
All new gaskets

I kept the oil pump, chain, damper and lifters.
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:54 PM   #27
millatime84

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM/IOM
I just got done installing the BTR stage III NA cam a few weeks back.

-BTR LS Cam Kit (Stage III NA Cam Motion Cam, 7.4 Push rods, Springs, titanium retainers, lock, seals)
-BTR Trunion Upgrade
-BTR Deluxe install Kit (Timing Cover Gasket, Water pump gasket, ARP Cam Bolts, ARP Balancer Bolt, Stock Timing Chain, 3 bolt cam gear)
-Oil Pick up tube gasket (3 bucks at auto part store)
- thermastat
millatime84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:24 PM   #28
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Yes pushrods are always changed. Measure for the correct length.
Mr LSX...please be gentle. I have 30 years "experience" also but with the LS engines you know that a lifter change isn't absolutely necessary. Flat tappet absolutely needs a lifter change with a camshaft swap...duh. The water pump gaskets on an LS are not absolutely necessary to change every time the water pump is removed...you should know this. On an old small block or big block of course you would have to change the gaskets. Please don't be so damn rude as it is unnecessary. Many people reuse the timing cover seals on the LS (mistake) and have an oil leak because of their poor decision.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote