Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-15-2015, 08:41 PM   #1
camarocruzer

Drives: White 2014 2SS/RS Coupe
Scosche issues

Hey all,

So I just bought an amp, pioneer head unit and speakers, and a scosche unit all from crutchfield. they also gave me their harness to attach everything. I spliced al the wires per their support and everything was finished.

they have been excellent with their tech support, and now this afternoon the i finally charged upmy battery bc it went dead from all the oor opening, trunk opening etc from me installing the speakers and radio and harness, etc etc.

this afternoon after the car battery was fully charged, the radio was working and so was the scosche kit.

The radio was 100% fine and the scosche kit was operational, except for it not being able to control the HVAC. the seats and hazards were working fine though.

the tech told me to do the whole reset thing with the 7 minute door closing this and that, and when i turned everything back on, there was nothing from the head unit or the scosche kit. the only thing that did work were the hazards.

after hours of troubleshooting, the radio and kit was still not operational, no power to eitherof them (not turning on). he had me check ALL the fuses and nothing was blown. All the blocks i went through.

he had me test with a voltmeter the yellows.....all had power. the scosche kit harness had power, but he said it sounded like the data wasn't getting out of the unit. he thought the unit was defective.

they are shipping me a whole new scosche unit, and a whole harness as well. should be here thursday.

he said basically he wants me to swap out the kit and not the harnesses but i will have them anyway.

What do you all think about it.....

Does anyone here have or had the same issue with their scosche?

CAI by Cold Air Inductions, Inc with Strong MAF Sensor / Borla ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust / SOLO Performance High Flow Catalytic Converters / SOLO J-Pipes / Vitesse Throttle Controller / Apex Catch Can / Vmax Ported Throttle Body / Range v8 AFM Disable Module by Range Technology / SLP Fade to Black Side Gill Decals / APEX Washer Replacement System and CAI Scoop / BMR Front and Rear Sway Bars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / BMR Front End Links
camarocruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:54 AM   #2
whidobie

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible 2SS RS
Check the settings as it may be set as mine was for a Malibu instead of the camaro. I had a professional installer who ran into trouble and it couldn't be figured out until we hit the right tech from Scosche. The other techs were trying to get us to update the firmware etc which we ended up not doing as that was not the problem. Hopefully this is your fix. I have had no issues with battery drain.
whidobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:13 AM   #3
camarocruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whidobie View Post
Check the settings as it may be set as mine was for a Malibu instead of the camaro. I had a professional installer who ran into trouble and it couldn't be figured out until we hit the right tech from Scosche. The other techs were trying to get us to update the firmware etc which we ended up not doing as that was not the problem. Hopefully this is your fix. I have had no issues with battery drain.
Figured out the battery drain......when I was installing all the things like amp, speakers, etc etc, speaker wires, I should have disco'd the battery but I didnt. so after days of keeping the door open, etc, the battery went too low. not a problem; fixed that end.

when the scosche was working i did check the car type and it was on camaro....what I think was part of the issue was that as I was hooking up the harnesses to the radio and scosche, when I hooked up the scosche (since i did that first) i put in the two connectors just to the scosche to see how it looked.

only after that a day later after hooking it up multiple times did i see that i needed to hook it up in a definite sequence - which i definitely didnt do.

then after everything was connected - amp, receiver, and also the scosche did I hook it all up according to the direction and sequence. but I think by that time it was beginning to get effed up.

I am really hoping that with the new scosche they are sending me that if i hook it up in the correct sequence (car off, driver door open, wait 7 minutes, the hook it up and start the car or whatever it is - i plan on calling scosche today to get the correct sequence) that it will work and power on which will then power on the receiver and all will be well.

CAI by Cold Air Inductions, Inc with Strong MAF Sensor / Borla ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust / SOLO Performance High Flow Catalytic Converters / SOLO J-Pipes / Vitesse Throttle Controller / Apex Catch Can / Vmax Ported Throttle Body / Range v8 AFM Disable Module by Range Technology / SLP Fade to Black Side Gill Decals / APEX Washer Replacement System and CAI Scoop / BMR Front and Rear Sway Bars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / BMR Front End Links
Old 09-16-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
What harness did Crutchfield send you?

You do nor need any extra harness with the Scosche kit. I had one in my 2012, and it worked fine. All needed harnesses come with the Scosche kit. The only other harness Crutchfield should have sent is the speaker adapter harness which converts the factory door speaker connector to speaker leads to connect an aftermarket speaker without needed to cut the factory speaker plug.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #5
camarocruzer

I'm sorry - last night I realized that the harness was indeed from the scosche kit.

The new scosche is coming tomorrow and all he techs I've spoken toast night and today at crutchfield, pioneer and scosche themselves seem to think that that is the issue....so that makes me hopeful..

One thing they did say was that my wiring is 100% right because the radio did work....the scosche ended up you know whatting the bed and that is why the radio is dead also....they said that if the scosche is dead then the radio is also. Once I get a working scosche then the radio will also come alive.

I'm just so anxious that this works ..... It comes tomorrow, next day air, and I get home at 5:30..... We shall see.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:30 AM   #6
camarocruzer

Scosche unit arrived and it works great. The only thing that doesn't work is the Onstar module. Pressing the Onstar blue button on the mirror connects be the light is on on the mirror, but nothing comes out.

Ideas?

Old 09-18-2015, 12:37 PM   #7
jhiiidoc

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SLP Supercharged
There is a special adapter for OnStar to work with the Kit...
SLP TVS2300 Supercharger; 3.6" Pulley; CAI Intake; 72# Injectors; ZL1 Fuel Pump; ADM Fuel Pressure Regulator; BBK Full-Length Headers; Cat Delete; Dynomax Cat-Back Exhaust; Eibach Pro-Kit suspension;ZL1 Front Bumper; NightOwl Lighting; '14 Heat extractor hood mod; Seibon CF trunk; GM High Wing and side skirts; Technostalgia Taillights; Pioneer Navigation; Infinity Subs and Amps; Scosche Double-DIN kit; CF cabin overlays; Z28 replica wheels; Hurst Line-Lock;
jhiiidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:14 PM   #8
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
There are very few online stereo suppliers I'd endorse (like, maybe 3) and Crutchfield is one of them.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:14 PM   #9
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarocruzer View Post
Scosche unit arrived and it works great. The only thing that doesn't work is the Onstar module. Pressing the Onstar blue button on the mirror connects be the light is on on the mirror, but nothing comes out.

Ideas?
You need the optional Scosche Onstar module to make the Onstar work....
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:01 PM   #10
camarocruzer

i am pleased to report that everything is a beautiful fit and i am very pleased.

the thing i did notice though, when i am playing a piece of music, i went and felt the rear 6x9 and i noticed that there was more bass than music.

how do i set the amplifier for the optimal settings? i know i can adjust the settings on the receiver also, but i think that the amp may be a issue with the settings .....

this is the amp -- JVC KS-AX3205D
image is attached

Name:  123.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  212.2 KB

Old 09-20-2015, 10:40 PM   #11
tazman

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarocruzer View Post
i am pleased to report that everything is a beautiful fit and i am very pleased.

the thing i did notice though, when i am playing a piece of music, i went and felt the rear 6x9 and i noticed that there was more bass than music.

how do i set the amplifier for the optimal settings? i know i can adjust the settings on the receiver also, but i think that the amp may be a issue with the settings .....

this is the amp -- JVC KS-AX3205D
image is attached
Awesome where are the pics at? To limit the bass going to your rear speakers turn on the HPF and play with the dial for the crossover to find a setting you like. Whatever you have your sub crossover set to you should start around the same setting for your front and rear and tweak from there the way you like it.
tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:55 PM   #12
camarocruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman View Post
Awesome where are the pics at? To limit the bass going to your rear speakers turn on the HPF and play with the dial for the crossover to find a setting you like. Whatever you have your sub crossover set to you should start around the same setting for your front and rear and tweak from there the way you like it.
I will take pics of the installation tomorrow. Looks great ...

I don't have a subwoofer. Later perhaps. So when you say play with the crossover what am I looking to Hear?

Old 09-20-2015, 11:20 PM   #13
tazman

Drives: 2014 ZL1
As you turn it from 50Hz up to 60Hz, 70Hz it is going to take the lower frequencies out so in the end giving you less base. How are your front speakers doing? Without hearing your sytem and not knowing what all your settings are I don't know what else to tell you except that the 6X9's are your biggest speakers so you will hear more bass from them.
tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:14 AM   #14
camarocruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman View Post
As you turn it from 50Hz up to 60Hz, 70Hz it is going to take the lower frequencies out so in the end giving you less base. How are your front speakers doing? Without hearing your sytem and not knowing what all your settings are I don't know what else to tell you except that the 6X9's are your biggest speakers so you will hear more bass from them.
ok then -- so i just need to find where the bass and the sound (music) is balanced in the 6x9's.....right?

the front speakers are great. crisp, just like i wanted and the whole reason to redo all of my wiring, etc. The front crossovers (i don't have rears, just speakers) are set at +3db. Don't know if that has anything to do with anything.

I listened to Welcome to the Black Parade by MCR and it sounded nice and clean and crisp.

You saw the pic of the back of my amp right?