Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-20-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
VenomZ302
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue RS/SS M6
The Hugger Is Back! Test Drive and Write-Up!

The Hugger Is Back

So you might have already seen my review of the 2010 2LT CTF (?) Camaro my dealership had at the local Corvette show. Well, I got to drive it this evening!

Note: This is the same car that b4z drove. I wholeheartedly understand that cars drive differently to different people, so I'm not discounting anything posted by b4z. I'm just offering my own opinions.

Last night I'm sitting at my computer and a thought occurs to me. "They've let at least two other people drive this car. I know it's going to have to go back to GM, but maybe I can get a shot before it goes!" And off I start, typing away to the guy who pre-ordered my 2SS. I ask if there's any chance I might be able to test drive the car before it leaves, mentioning that it's perfectly okay if I can't or if they don't have the car anymore. I wait and wait for the response, the anticipation rising.

"You are more then [sic] welcome to come drive the silver Camaro." My eyes fly over the words and my pulse quickens. "The only thing is, this isnt [sic] our car, it belongs to Chevrolet. They will be picking it up soon, so if you want to drive it, you need to come right away. It would be a good idea to call when you are leaving, the driver of the transport told us he will be picking it up either today or tomorrow." Fantastic. I have the opportunity and I know my time line.

I get off work and call the dealership and sure enough, they've still got the Camaro and don't expect the driver of the transport to be there until tomorrow! I walk in, ask if I can test drive the car and speak with the nice gentleman I spoke to at the car show. He takes a photocopy of my license, all the while, I'm expecting him to walk me over to the car. Much to my amazement, he hands me the key and says "well, I guess we'll see you in a few minutes."

I walk over to the car, probably trying to hide my joy. I grab the door handle and get in. Everything feels great. Mind you, I'm 6' tall and weigh about 180 lbs and the car fits me like a glove, literally and figuratively. I've got plenty of headroom and then I realize that the seat is actually up. I push the button to lower the seat but find I prefer where it was, much to my amazement.

After adjusting my mirrors and turning on the headlights (it's drizzling by now), I start her up. "Oh, that's nice for a V6," I think as the car comes to life. I ease off the lot and take a right onto the highway.

Yes, the car feels big. But only for about 100 ft. After the initial jitters from driving a car that definitely feels bigger than my G35, I'm at peace and I start to cruise. I find the first intersection and head down the road. I'm really liking how the car feels on the road, despite our bad weather. The wiper blades swish back and forth, reminding me of switchblades, leaving a drought in their path.

Honestly, I took it easy for a while. There was a Yukon behind me and I didn't know the road well, so I just kept cruising. Finally, I came across another intersection and headed right again. This gave me a chance to make a three point turn and I didn't have any problems.

Heading back, I decided to have a little fun. Shifting into manual mode, I drove until I was alone. I down-shifted to first and stomped the gas, shifting up until I hit 65 mph. Even for a V6, that was a rush! And, much to my pleasure, I found that the paddle shifters were more responsive than those in my Infiniti.

Driving back to the dealership, I had to wait at a light. Once green, I got to test the acceleration a bit again. This car will get up there quickly, if you let it.

I pulled back into the lot and backed the Camaro into the space it left earlier (a much easier feat than I was making it out to be). Time to go home. I shared my thoughts with one of the salespeople and handed back the key. Getting in my G35 seemed a bit lackluster, but familiar. All in all, this was a phenomenal experience. I'm in love.

Now for the specific stuff I noticed. I drove the car to see whether my fears about the visibility would still play out. Thankfully, I didn't have any problems with the visibility while actually driving the car. Like I said, the car fit me like a glove and I still think GM hit a home run with this one. Backing up wasn't bad and driving was just great! The interior feels amazing to me. I love the seats and thoroughly enjoy the center console, having had a large armrest in my previous cars that have prevented me from resting my hand comfortably on the shifter. Some may not like the things I like, and I'm perfectly okay with that. But for this version of the Camaro, I will forever salute GM.

So again, thank you GM, for making my dream car come alive. I can't wait to get my 2SS.

3/13/09 - Ordered Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS M6!
7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!

2G1FT1EW2A9124579

Last edited by VenomZ302; 04-21-2009 at 08:37 AM.
VenomZ302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Great write up, its sounds like you had a very nice drive I got to drive one too and man can it turn, i was soo happy that it turns on a dime. I love the sound of the engine under load, it sounds a little meaner all in all great write up. How did you like the acceleration in comparison to your G35?
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Great write up. The G35 is a nice car with a great interior and if the Camaro's felt good to you that's definitely a for me!

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
Dano

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
Nice write up, I can't find a dealer in my area at all with a car yet. Hopefully soon though. I would really like to drive one and see how it feels and drives vs my GTO. I know I will only get to try a V6, but I want to see how the visibility is and the ride. I am sure I will like it from all the reviews I have read.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
Teleplayer

Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
"I've got plenty of headroom and then I realize that the seat is actually up"
Did this model have the sunroof?

1992 SSEI Supercharged 177k miles. 2010 GT coming soon.
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
I've already talked to my local dealer and I'm working on a scheduled drive May 7th or 8th. It's probably going to be a tapshift 6, but here's hoping for an SS.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
dect

Drives: None
Nice write up, one of my favorites, actually! So, was the V6 loud any? Say, louder than a V6 mustang? or a V8 Mustang?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #8
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Not louder then a V8 stang, but i guess louder the v6 stang.
Ive got to rev the v6 and drive it, and the same for my brothers v6 05 stang, so i would go with a little bit louder, and two completely different exhausts notes, id have to say that the stang has a little more agressive exhaust note
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:21 PM   #9
VenomZ302
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue RS/SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
"I've got plenty of headroom and then I realize that the seat is actually up"
Did this model have the sunroof?
Yes, it did. I considered opening the roof on my way back, but I'm really just not much of a sunroof person. More of a T-Top or targa top person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dect View Post
Nice write up, one of my favorites, actually! So, was the V6 loud any? Say, louder than a V6 mustang? or a V8 Mustang?
I honestly don't know. Don't really pay attention to the Mustang exhaust unless it sounds particularly nice or particularly bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Not louder then a V8 stang, but i guess louder the v6 stang.
Ive got to rev the v6 and drive it, and the same for my brothers v6 05 stang, so i would go with a little bit louder, and two completely different exhausts notes, id have to say that the stang has a little more agressive exhaust note
Sounds like that's probably about right. I wasn't that impressed with the V6 exhaust, but I still think it sounded good.

3/13/09 - Ordered Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS M6!
7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!

2G1FT1EW2A9124579
VenomZ302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:28 PM   #10
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomZ302 View Post
Some may not like the things I like, and I'm perfectly okay with that. But for this version of the Camaro, I will forever salute GM.

So again, thank you GM, for making my dream car come alive. I can't wait to get my 2SS.
I ordered the v6 so, yeah, I do like the things you like and wrote about. Thanx!! Those are the things I never knew for sure but hoped for. Great write up and thanx again.

"It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Silver Streak: This car is screaming Camaro all the way through. If you are still complaining about the Camaro, you need to re-evaluate!
Edmunds: "You want to kick ass, or fondle the door panels, sissy?" LOL!!!
Blur: You need to develop your own level of badassery before handling a car with so much badass content.
pinkcamaro10: "gained the faith back" Thanks guys! "Patiently" waiting thanks to all the pink milk people!
http://camaro5rt.mybrute.com
RT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
dect

Wow, if it is a "little" bit louder than the v6 mustang then we are in trouble. The V6 mustang has very little noise. I think it sounds like a hybrid!:(
Old 04-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #12
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Wow, if it is a "little" bit louder than the v6 mustang then we are in trouble. The V6 mustang has very little noise. I think it sounds like a hybrid!:(
Here's a good video of the sound of the v6... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18684
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #13
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
Quote:
aftermarket

Nice review venom If i had the keys and i was alone i would take it home lol
Old 04-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #14
dect

Wow... I am... at lost for words from that haha! First time really hearing a V6 it sounds AMAZING compared to a mustang, you guys crazy had me doubting my Camaro!

Once again UCF you are pulling through!