Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
shaggy2002

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS w RS 1LE
To clay or to do something else

I am almost ready to wax my car. However, prior to waxing my car, I have some imperfections on the front below the grill and also on the very bottom sides of my Camaro. It looks like it could be bugs or tar or other things that a ton of elbow grease is still not removing. People outside of the forums have told me you don't want to clay too many times. My question is it claying that I need to do, or is there some other wash that would assist me breaking this stuff down?

I have also read CamaroDreams07 post and saw the SM Arnold Speedy Surface Prep Towel. This thing sounds awesome after reading about it, but is it one of the things that is too good to be true? Anyone else try this product out?
shaggy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #2
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Claying will remove what you are talking about.

There are also dedicated bug and tar remover products.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
I find Stoner Tarminator works great and it's not expensive either.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
You should clay, and then polish the entire car; Clean up the polish residue and then add wax.

You can clay as much as you want but it isn't necessary unless you are in a highly air pollutant area. I had a car once that required claying twice a year. Once a year clay and polish should serve your purposes.

Good luck.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
JTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
You should clay, and then polish the entire car; Clean up the polish residue and then add wax.

You can clay as much as you want but it isn't necessary unless you are in a highly air pollutant area. I had a car once that required claying twice a year. Once a year clay and polish should serve your purposes.

Good luck.
Polishing is very optional in this situation.

Air pollution isn't the only contaminate..
Old 08-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Way too good to be true. That guy is a sheister
Old 08-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #7
shaggy2002

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS w RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Way too good to be true. That guy is a sheister
Haha you are no sheister. I appreciate all your posts. I was only curious if other people have used it.

CamaroDreams07, how do you know when the SM Arnold Speedy Surface Prep Towel. has to be replaced?

I am buying some items off your Comprehensive product guide this very moment.
shaggy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #8
lbls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTruck View Post
Polishing is very optional in this situation.

Air pollution isn't the only contaminate..
Polishing assures that the surface is clean. Claying only removes the stuff that's stuck onto paint. It will not deep clean the paint surface. If you are going thru the trouble of claying the car, then why take short cuts and risk not getting the best results by skipping a polish step? BTW it isn't quite as labor intensive as other methods. You can polish with a one step product by hand; Its fairly simple.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:02 PM   #9
JTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
Polishing assures that the surface is clean. Claying only removes the stuff that's stuck onto paint. It will not deep clean the paint surface. If you are going thru the trouble of claying the car, then why take short cuts and risk not getting the best results by skipping a polish step? BTW it isn't quite as labor intensive as other methods. You can polish with a one step product by hand; Its fairly simple.
Claying does remove the contamination that is embedded in the paint. The purpose of polishing isn't to remove contamination, it's to remove a thin layer of the clear coat to level the area, ultimately removing the appearance of scratches/swirls.

Not polishing is not taking a shortcut, a well maintained clear coat should only need to be polished at the very most biannually.

Polishing by hand is next to useless. If I were to do your method, and polish every time before I wax I would be polishing next to 6 times a year.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #10
lbls1

^It looks like we won't agree on this topic, but a few corrections. I did not say that it was necessary to polish every time before a wax. I already stated that claying removes contaminants on top of paint, so its a redundant point.

Not polishing is definitely taking a short cut, because you are not removing the oxidation film that's imbedded in the paint or clear just from claying (assuming that the surface hasn't been polished previously). Claying doesn't even address removing oxidation.

The amount of polishing and maintaining a paint surface depends on the environment that a car is in. Cars that are not covered or garaged and exposed to the elements should be detailed more often for an optimal look.

In the end everyone will have their own way of detailing their cars. It will be better for the OP to do his or her own investigation by looking at a few live examples, as well as asking experienced detailers on proven methods. The OP can also look up some established websites on detailing to pick up some tips (Some of those sites are full of opinions as well).

Last edited by lbls1; 08-11-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #11
Chris14RS

Drives: RRM RS v6
Iron X then wash...clay...polish then wax. Done. The Iron X will remove contaminents from underneath the clear. A good clay system...not that Meguirs crap will remove contaminants from on top of the clear coat.
BARTON SS
Airlift Suspension V2

Niche Targa 20x10.5
Chris14RS is offline   Reply With Quote