Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 06-29-2020, 09:40 PM   #1
ForgotUsername

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS LT2
solved: STABILITRAK, ABS pump freakout, C0035

I had a condition where my ABS pump was stuttering and all my braking assist lights would illuminate on every drive, and the source problem surprised me.

TL;DR the hubs needed replaced.

(if image is missing here, check attachments)

Symptoms:
I would drive at low speeds (0-39mph) and hear the ABS pump clicking with every rotation of the wheel, and when I go over 40mph then the clicking would stop and ABS/traction control/stability control would all light up on the dash and DIC would read SERVICE STABILITRAK. All the braking aids would basically just give up and turn off, aka if I slammed the brakes then all wheels would lock up. And if I did normal braking, then the pump would freak out and behave as if the car is sliding on ice. Neat!

Side note: If your car shows SERVICE STABILITRAK only at startup and it goes away, then it is not this same issue. For that issue, see this thread, post four. GM addressed this and they basically say to ignore it.

Background:
-I had just changed my front calipers for an unrelated problem
-I initially thought this was just air in the ABS pump after I changed the calipers. But after re-bleeding (I did several pressure bleeds, including using the GDS2 dealer service tool's ABS pump autobleed function) the problem still existed unchanged.

Diagnosis:
My generic OBD2 reader couldn't read these codes, so I used a VCX Nano and GDS2 to pull these codes. I should make a post on this tool, it doesn't seem like many people use it.

The error codes I saw were as follows:
Electronic Brake Control Module
DTC: C0035
Symptom byte: 5A
Description: Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit
Symptom description: Not Plausible

Note that you might get a similar code which corresponds with your wheel:
C0035 (front left), C0040 (front right)
C0045 (rear left), C0050 (rear right)

There is actually a TSB for exactly these symptoms, Bulletin No.: 17-NA-047. It basically says that your wheel speed sensor ring is dirty and needs to be cleaned. This applies to ALL 5th gen camaros as well as many other GM cars. Here's that bulletin:

I confirmed that there's a wheel speed issue by charting the sensor data for left versus right. See how the right side is nice and smooth, whereas the left side has obvious jumps in the data?

-I removed the wheel speed sensor, inserted a toothbrush + brake cleaner into the hole, and rotated the wheel hub to clean the wheel hub's magnetic sensor ring. No change to the problem.
-I then swapped the wheel speed sensors from left to right, since they are both the same part number. No change to the problem. It's not the sensor.

I removed the cover behind the wheel hub so that I could clearly see the ABS ring. I did this by hammering a socket extension through the hole in the hub. A-ha! The issue was suddenly obvious.

The ABS ring was damaged and so brittle that it was falling apart. See the section that's missing and cracked off? This accounts for the gaps of data on the wheel speed charts. Time for new hubs. This is a great video for changing your hubs. Here's what the new hubs looked like versus the existing ones:

After changing the front hubs, the issue was gone!

No more lights or freaking out from the ABS pump. I think that the fact that this happened at the same time I was changing my calipers was a coincidence. I guess because I was working in that area, it's plausible that while wrestling the caliper into place I was able to bump the hub and damage its brittle ABS ring.

Oh, and my car is a 2010 Camaro LT2 RS (v6) with 141,000 miles at the time.

I hope this saves someone from the headache that I went through!
Attached Images

Last edited by ForgotUsername; 10-15-2021 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Images went missing for some reason.
ForgotUsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:43 AM   #2
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Good info brother glad you did this!!!
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:11 PM   #3
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
I just swapped in zl1 axles and im pretry sure i must have damaged the RR encoder ring since im throwing a c0050 constantly. I swapped sensors and same code. Thanks for posting all this info. I picked up two new hubs for the rear, might as well do both

Thanks for the detailed write up.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:05 AM   #4
ForgotUsername

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS LT2
@eLeSthree glad this helped someone, I updated the writeup to include all wheel codes after reading how yours was different than mine (C0050 versus my C0035)

Also my images went missing, I added them back in as attachments.
ForgotUsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:27 AM   #5
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
While i was waiting on Fedex (who never showed) I figured I’d tear everything apart. It turns out when I did my ZL1 diff/axle upgrade a piece of the old axle washer broke off and recently worked its way onto the wheel speed sensor’s tone ring (which is built into the wheel bearing).

Turned out to not need any new part for this fix. Cleaned it up and reassembled.

I found this video on uou tube which was helpful. I thought the axle had to come out to get to the wheel bearing, but thankfully not, and it was pretty easy.

https://youtu.be/WkwcT43Yn-0
Attached Images

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:30 AM   #6
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Good find

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:17 AM   #7
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
This is good. I had the same problem with my 2013. I hit a bump and the ABS/TC/SC lights came on. I was at the dealer for something else but I had them check the code and they told me it was the left front wheel speed sensor. I changed the pickup first because it was cheap and it didn't fix the problem, so I bought a new Moog hub off of Amazon and after a few dozen taps with a 3 lb mini sledge, I had the old hub out. The encoder ring was shattered.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs, c0035, stabilitrak