Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-11-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
darthknight72

Drives: 1983 trans am
Talking Pony Wars

These are exciting times I cant wait for the camaro to come out and be sitting at a red light across from a new mustang or pull up to a new challenger I always heard older guys I knew talking about the pony car wars from the late 60's early 70's and now finally we'll have a major horsepower war between these awesome cars let the fun begin
darthknight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
with great V8 power comes great responsibility

When you have a "Celebrity" vehicle you receive attention you want, and some you don't want.

Is this considered fun? ---> people wanting you to race even if you are just going around the block to do an errand.

Is this fun? ---> redneck reving engine of his glass pack dual exhaust pickup right at the moment his car is closest to you. he wants you to race. he might not have all his teeth. he might think 8th grade was senior year.

Is this fun? ---> people you never met in your life wanting to tell you what mod to do on your car

and the people telling you what to do to your car for some reason are the same people who don't own/won't ever be able to own a car like yours (fun to get advice from every loser on the street?)

other things that happen to your car you don't know about:
when you drop it off at a shop to be fixed, someone (who can't afford a car like yours) probably will drive it around and flog it. (Oh I need to go test drive the customer's car to verify the alignment is good). You don't want to know what they did to your car. (Is it fun to have to worry about this?)

I watched a mechanic pop the clutch on my car when I went to have an alignment. Instead of getting upset, I just reminded myself that I got what I deserved when I bought a pony car.

Don't get me wrong, I love my car. It's just a little scary sometimes when someone you don't know is obsessed with your car to the extent that they won't leave you alone.

Luckily my car is the "old" body style now, so these incidents don't really happen anymore.

and even though I listed some things that are annoying, I still want a Camaro.

Last edited by 2001ragtop; 05-11-2007 at 12:41 PM.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:29 PM   #3
alleykt123
err… MEOW!

Drives: 2005 GTO
Send a message via AIM to alleykt123 Send a message via Yahoo to alleykt123
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
with great V8 power comes great responsibility

When you have a "Celebrity" vehicle you receive attention you want, and some you don't want.

Is this considered fun? ---> people wanting you to race even if you are just going around the block to do an errand.

Is this fun? ---> redneck reving engine of his glass pack dual exhaust pickup right at the moment his car is closest to you. he wants you to race. he might not have all his teeth. he might think 8th grade was senior year.

Is this fun? ---> people you never met in your life wanting to tell you what mod to do on your car

and the people telling you what to do to your car for some reason are the same people who don't own/won't ever be able to own a car like yours (fun to get advice from every loser on the street?)

other things that happen to your car you don't know about:
when you drop it off at a shop to be fixed, someone (who can't afford a car like yours) probably will drive it around and flog it. (Oh I need to go test drive the customer's car to verify the alignment is good). You don't want to know what they did to your car. (Is it fun to have to worry about this?)

I watched a mechanic pop the clutch on my car when I went to have an alignment. Instead of getting upset, I just reminded myself that I got what I deserved when I bought a pony car.

Have fun !
Yup - I've experienced all of the above ('cept the clutch business).

Even though my vehicle has "sleeper" looks (yup - it's been called everything from a cavalier to a G6…) I still get some attention I really don't want. After all, Southern California is a hotbed for ricers and they seem to think that I want to race…

Quote:
Motorcycle Cop: Whatcha got in the trunk?
J. Frank Parnell: Oh... You don't wanna look in there.

Repo Man
alleykt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
All my work will be done at my stepfather's work as he's owned a body shop for 13 years and manages 13 mechanics. He won't put up for any bs like that. If it's something simple like brakes or installing new headers or whatever, I'll be the one to do that myself.
Mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthknight72 View Post
These are exciting times I cant wait for the camaro to come out and be sitting at a red light across from a new mustang or pull up to a new challenger I always heard older guys I knew talking about the pony car wars from the late 60's early 70's and now finally we'll have a major horsepower war between these awesome cars let the fun begin
It will never be anywhere close to what it once was. The days of cruising Telegraph and Woodward in the Detroit area are long gone :(
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
darthknight72

Drives: 1983 trans am
Of course I never meant to imply that I would try to race anybody on the street thats what they make race tracks for and anytime you have something nice people are always gong to be jealous so you have to be careful around people I would rather compliment someone one thier new mustang,challenger,camaro instead of doing something stupid and dangerous thats where I was going with my last statement
darthknight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #7
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
Yup, i can't wait. Not nesicalrily to race people.. but just the attention is good sometimes... and i don't let other people drive my car... including the mechanic.. my service man is a 60 yr old man that treats every car he's in like it were his own child.

If someone did that to my car i'd probabally pull them out of the window.

If you remove those GTO badges and put a neon sign on the back you'll avoid a lot of the trouble.. and yes i'd do that just to confuse people!!!
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #8
c00l usmc

Drives: 1999 Camaro, 1985 Z28 Camaro
I think they should remodel the GTO, reminds of a grand prix every time i look at the thing.
c00l usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:17 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The "re-design" of the GTO was too little, too fast...I'm glad they're taking their time with the Camaro - mistakes WON'T be repeated
Old 05-14-2007, 10:47 AM   #10
alleykt123
err… MEOW!

Drives: 2005 GTO
Send a message via AIM to alleykt123 Send a message via Yahoo to alleykt123
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenm357 View Post
…If you remove those GTO badges and put a neon sign on the back you'll avoid a lot of the trouble.. and yes i'd do that just to confuse people!!!

Heheheheh - there's someone out there who thinks like me!!

Wait… That might not be such a good thing

alleykt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:24 AM   #11
Bait8
Balance

Drives: A torque-less wonder.
These wars are different. There are these little guys called EVOs and STIs in the picture also. With their 4 wheel drive stuff and turbos...it isn't just GM vs Ford anymore. Anyways, I don't ever see it getting to the way it was in the 60's.
Bait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:24 PM   #12
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Having a distictive vehicle can bring you unwanted attention, I was pulled many times for traffic stops in 1969/70/71 in my Z/28, often when I was completely behaving myself and at/under the speed limit. It was almost like it looks/sounds fast and agressive, so he must be doing something wrong. I did get a kick one afternoon when cruising at 50mph in a 55 zone when a VA State Trooper hit his lights and pulled me over, I stopped and got out with my license and registration and asked the rather young trooper what I had done wrong. He replied "Nothing, I just wanted to see one of these Z/28s up close". We sat on the side of the road for 30 minutes or so while he looked over the entire car (including an at length look under the hood), even sat in the Z and started it up just to see what it was all about. Unfortunately, most other traffic stops were a real PITA.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:50 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Gotta love the power and control cops have...it's a good thing you weren't in any hurry...
Old 05-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #14
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
...I did get a kick one afternoon when cruising at 50mph in a 55 zone when a VA State Trooper hit his lights and pulled me over...
Haha! That reminds me of a Trooper doing somethign similar to me on the way home from Petersburg, so the Supra had my track # etc on it. A Trooper flashed his lights cause I was just cruising with traffic not really watching. When I saw him, he pulled up beside me and gave me a thumbs-up on my car...then gunned it, then let off! So I just floored it without downshifting (with a large single-turbo pushing ~20 lbs boost, this still makes some noise) and blew off for him. He laughed then went on his way.

Considering how anal VA Troppers are, I never did quite get over that...lol

On-topic though, I'm really looking forward to this as well. I can never win an argument with the Stang-guys and gals here at the office since they have an easy rebuttal..."How did the last 4 year Camaro match-up tot he Stang?....oh wait..."

Assholes...lol

Can't wait to make them eat their words.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote