Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 10-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
DIY: LED STRIP SIDEMARKERS

UPDATE: Radiantz.com now calls these LED strips the "Z-Flex Array"
Just get 2x 40 led amber and 2x 40 led red. Remember they are the 100 Leds per foot style.
The are under "Category->Z-Flex LED lights->1mm Z-Flex arrays 100 LEDs Per foot"

What nice too is these have a LIFETIME Warranty against LED failure.

I got 2 amber and 2 red 40 LED flexible array strips from Radiantz.com

Splitting the sidemarkers apart was challenging. I started prying at the tab on the front of the lens. Then ran a sharp utility knife along the edge. A 10 min 200 degree oven did help soften the plastic and made it less prone to the lens cracking.

Double sided tape on the LED Strip.

LED strip in position.

Glued back up and installed.

I still need to paint the lens white. I will leave a 1/8 inch slot unpainted for the LED strip to shine through.

Repeat this 3 more times... I paid $131 for all four LED strips. Alot less then the 2 companies that make these.

UPDATE:

To connect these correctly....

Go here.. http://autolumination.com/connectors.htm

Scroll down still you hit this.... Standard bulb bases with a plug-in 2-wire pigtail 12"- 18 gauge wires

and buy 4 194 wedges. You guys can figure out the rest!!!
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!

Last edited by Mach; 08-22-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Update
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
tobalt

Drives: IBM L99 2SS/RS
Great DIY!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
what did you use to seal back up the lens to the housing. black=ground, yellow=positive
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
showstopper

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Looks good can't wait to see the finished product.
showstopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
sene

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LS
If its the led strips are flexible couldn't you feed them through the hole in the back and not worry about splitting the lamp open?
sene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkdreads View Post
what did you use to seal back up the lens to the housing. black=ground, yellow=positive
I used the stock socket. Just put it back in the housing. Removed the metal tabs off the stock bulb and wedged the bulb back into the socket with the led wires. Another words used the bulb to hold the wires against the contact points. I will eventually get a blank 192 socket and plug the wires into that socket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by showstopper View Post
Looks good can't wait to see the finished product.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sene View Post
If its the led strips are flexible couldn't you feed them through the hole in the back and not worry about splitting the lamp open?
They are flexible but not flexible enough to fit though the hole.. And there is that problem of lining it up properly and attaching it there. But if you built a ship inside a glass bottle before then you would have no problem. LOL
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Old 10-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
s1k0

Drives: Corvette C6
Great job, looks hot!

Sold It..
s1k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
Low RS

Drives: 2010 ''RS1'' my own package
need to show the finished product, to many unknowns that you did and are not showing.
2010 1LT A6, Hurst shifter and handle, 3pc rear spoiler, streetscene splitter, ss front end with ZL1 grill, ABL , footwell and cup holder lighting, ss cat back exhaust, Eibach lowering springs, custom engine cover, 4pk gauges, speedhut A pilliar pod and gauges, metra kit and kenwood stereo, 2014 ss hood scoop with stock rain tray, 3D Carbon fender vents, rear lighted bowtie, and ultra gauge.
Low RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low RS View Post
need to show the finished product, to many unknowns that you did and are not showing.
I think its pretty self explanatory.. but if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

I got them on the car and they look GREAT!! So many compliments.

Unfortunately I did not get any pictures and I am out of town till Saturday.

I got these two pictures of the painting progress...

Masked off....

Base coat...

Shot three coats of clear also.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #10
Saint Alban

Drives: '14 Black 2SS RS
Would love to see the finished product. A friend of mine wants to make these for his Challenger.
Saint Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
Mach

I will have pictures up Sat night! I am out of town till then.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #12
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
which ones did you buy?
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #13
Saint Alban

Drives: '14 Black 2SS RS
I'm considering doing this to Challenger sidemarkers for a friend. I'm curious about one thing. Since you're painting over the lens and making sure the light only comes through the slit you left unpainted, does the light shine through the paint at all? Maybe at night? I was assuming it may take multiple coats to make sure that doesn't happen. Did you put multiple coats of color before the clear? Also, did you just eye your masking placement for the strip? Seems hard to judge with the lenses not being clear.
Saint Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #14
verboten

Drives: Black
What size LEDs? 40?
verboten is offline   Reply With Quote