Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

View Poll Results: If offered through GMPP/GM Accessories, would you purchase the longer stripes?
Yes! I want my stripes to end on the front facia and I will pay more for them. 138 60.53%
No. The current hood length stripes are sufficient. 48 21.05%
I am not getting stripes. It does not matter to me, but I just wanted to answer a poll! :p 42 18.42%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #15
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
I definitely want longer stripes, they do look incomplete and have no precedent in Camaro history. If you're not going to do it right just don't do it!
+100

and $100
Old 11-08-2008, 11:49 AM   #16
rico-2SS
Thx TZD.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged Custom Camaro
I checked at a local car detailer and I can get the stripes like bumblebee put on the car when it comes in for $350plus tax. That includes the narrow pinstripe.
However I would be willing to pay extra to have it dealer or factory installed, but no more than 100 over the GMS price

Does anyone want to talk GMS pricing - just kidding I know there is a thread for that
Old 11-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #17
70 COPO
Banned

Drives: Multiple Camaro's
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstLSK View Post
+100

and $100
Pertaining to SS1 and 2 with rally stripes.....

The cosmetic non functional "mail Slot" hood indent made it from the concept. That is good!

The styling conflict for me becomes clear. When you do not need to explain the presence of the mail slot that is also good and here is why: Clearly it blends into the styling of the car without hood stripes. With Concept long stripes it also blends into the styling of the car as the long stripes contrast and blend with the black Mail slot insert allowing a good transition for the eyes.

With Production Short stripes in black only it is zero sum the Mail slot again blends into the car's styling.

The big problem starts when you add a different color stripe to the hood which then contrasts with the black insert of the mail slot. The color of the car the mail slot and the stripes all battle for the attention of the eye.

SS style Mail slot then looks awkward and out of place. I predict if the automotive press gets a short stripe SS car for evaluation - the mail slot faux scoop and the stripes will be low hanging fruit for the onset of a critical styling review.

Still time to fix this. It is not too late.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #18
dvnt88
Kickin' Assphalt

Drives: 1997 Z-28 30th Anniversary Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalometalik View Post
why just stop at the front fascia? i would prefer they went all the way down the front to the bottom lip below the grill. it gives it a more complete look IMO
i voted the 3rd option
+1, this is what I'll be doing on my new 5th gen. Take a look at the Vipers with the stipes on them and they look much meaner than the ones currently offered by GM
Old 11-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #19
zforce

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Inferno Matelic Orange
I ordered the hockey stipes and the one solid line on the hood. One reason that I got these instead of the double rally stripes was because they did not go down to the tip of the nose like on the bumble bee camaro. They look like the car went through a car was and they shrunk! I would love to have the double rally stripes but only if they are FULL length and the max I would pay for any stripe(s) would be $600, tops.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:22 PM   #20
zforce

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Inferno Matelic Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 COPO View Post
Sadily the closest historical comparison to what is planned right now for the 2010 Camaro is the 1992 Camaro Heritage Rally Stripe, and the current paint stripes on the hood of many of the newer U haul trucks. Stripes end in the same location. Middle of the hood.

Factory installed Concept style Stripes would cost no more for the factory to install then the current short stripe idea provided the with the time consuming end pieces around the mail slot were segmented and shipped for dealer install.

IMO... Base 6 cyl cars could get short stripes. SS cars with the mail slot however need the longer stripe.

SS cars do not look right without longer stripes - and will become the recipient's of critical commentary by the competition mainly since the performance RPO equipped stripes (if shorter) would be different from the competition (ford..ect) and a comparison "mine are bigger than yours" could easily be made.

Basic human nature.

Here is what you should say if they don't offer the longer stripes: mustangs need the longer stripes so that people driving camaros can distinguish the mustangs from the focus in the reer view mirrors. besides it's not important how long you have them, it how you use what is under them that counts!

but if they do offer the longer stripes, we can say that some of us have them as long as yours but its what we do with what is under them that distinguishes us (camaro) from the rest of you.

dont be afraid of what other will say, get the longer stripes because you want them not because what johny stang will say.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #21
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
rather have t-tops. no i wouldnt like longer stripes
Old 11-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #22
Lex

Drives: 1989 Jaguar XJS w/L98 swap
If I get stripes I will most likely just get aftermarket ones made at a vinal shop or something. That way I get EXACTLY what I want...

2 wrongs don't make a right... but 3 lefts do!
Old 11-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #23
70 COPO
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
rather have t-tops. no i wouldnt like longer stripes

Did you order stripes? If so what color?
Old 11-08-2008, 07:52 PM   #24
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
who honestly cares how long the stripes are? why is everyone fussing about 3" of vinyl?

currently i drive a 73 Z (silver) with black stripes, yes they extend over the hood but i would love the car just as much if they didn't...

btw, i have on order white stripes to my victory red 2ss.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:40 AM   #25
70 COPO
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolteon593 View Post
who honestly cares how long the stripes are? why is everyone fussing about 3" of vinyl?

currently i drive a 73 Z (silver) with black stripes, yes they extend over the hood but i would love the car just as much if they didn't...

btw, i have on order white stripes to my victory red 2ss.
Great question - here are the reasons:

1. Camaro has been Marketed to all with long stripes via the concept and the movie "transformers" and Camaro shows across the country for the past two years. Long stripes are is what the public expects. IMO I do not wish to have question after question from people who see the short stripe car - about "why" the stripes were shortened from the concept- but you know I would have to tell them the truth-- Answer is to date is that the factory does not want to take the time to align the stripes around the mail slots.

2. The Mail slot color (black) will clash with and compete with the stripe color and the color of the car in all of the light colors. Try this-- Photoshop a light color exterior and bright stripes.... Where do your eyes go?? Directly to the mail slot, because it looks out of place. OK perhaps - if it serves a real function but it does not - and is actually blocked by a piece of the metal body structure. The next question from this potential bystander would likely be "wow air induction" then I am left explaining that it (the mail slot) is really non functional and why. In my opinion if the mail slot could be eliminated from the SS then the perception of the stripes being too short would be greatly reduced. and the potential bystander would not walk away thinking that the car was flagging in some areas.... .

3. The 2010 Camaro is supposed to be a "nod" to the great 1969 model. Hockey stripes, the single hood stripe made famous by Motion Performance being just two of the cosmetic highlights of the new Camaro. The Recent Short Rally Stripe (hood only) configuration however is wholly inconsistant with the first generation cars at the all important front end appearance. Overall there is slightly more consistancy with the 1970-1973 models due to the stripe appearance at the Front compound curves at the termination point on the hood - however the factory has apperently only decided fairly recently to go with the old RPO ZO3 style stripe configuration from the 1992 heritage edition. So as of now we are getting a car that looks more like the 1992 Camaro - which is unremarkable as a historical point in Camaro history.

4. Critical peers: Other Collector Camaro Boards have already been highly critical of the new Camaro in the areas of power to weight and interior design from looking at the concept. Some like it - some hate it, most are still on the fence. Wanting to support GM and the new camaro I have already found myself defending the new 2010 Camaro already on several threads just in the the past few months. The Rally "Short" Stripe issue has just recently surfaced here and elsewhere. It surfaced AFTER I ordered my car. I already discussed the short stripe with a noted camaro collector and did so without bias - simply to check my gut feelings on the matter and to gauge potential peer reaction. His reaction was stark and telling. He stated It is a "Bait and Switch". "GM thinks they have you guys hooked -after showing you the show car and are now are going cheap on the apperance of the car to speed factory production". He followed that by stating "this is what GM has done for years".

5. This is a thing that I am having the most problem with. When I think of the short Rally Stripe what I see this: A U-haul truck. The U-haul truck even has a mail slot to boot. The difference is that its "mail Slot actually serves a function. Tt is the grab handle to move the engine cowl assembly forward-so at least its purpose can be explained beyond pure cosmetics. Click on the link and scroll down for the photo.

Here: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

To date my views here have been attacked by some members of this forum. I have been given the view that "it is too late", "stripes cannot be changed" "Be happy with what you are getting" "we are lucky we are getting a New Camaro at all" ect.... and have had my motives attacked over and over.

I am here to tell you I am not buying the attacks and excuses. Rick Wagoneer was just up on capitol hill two days ago pitching a $25 Billion dollar Bail-out for GM with taxpayer dollars which looks very likely to get approved. If you are a US citizen this is your money. I do not feel bad at all about trying to prevent GM from making a styling mistake with a car that just well could be one of the turn around cars for GM along with the VOLT.

I have offered an idea to GM to provide the long stripe with no increased cost to GM by simply providing the stripe segments that need to be on the header - to the dealer for installation during the new car pre delivery preparation. So far GM has not responded. I and others have offered more $$$ to attempt to move the ball. No responce as of yet.

In short I am a dissaffected Z-28 buyer. Many want a Z/28. I did too. I accepted GM's decision not to make a Z-28 and decided to buy an SS instead all to support the new Camaro - but latest issue with the short stripe is a back breaker for me.

I want a ligitimate Chevrolet product offering with true Rally Stripes not hood stripes..

I will not own a car where my peers will laugh at me or be critical of what I own.

I am not that emotionally invested in the car to allow my principals to be set aside but I am emotionally invested enough to fight for the future of the Camaro.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #26
70 COPO
Banned

For some unknown reason the link I posted above has stopped working.

Here is one that does: http://flickr.com/photos/krizsa/406003363/

I guess will keep checking it to be sure that is stays working.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:48 AM   #27
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
Embedded.

OMG -- a truck version of an SS with orange rally's
Old 11-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #28
Evotion
Warehouse 13 Survivor!!!!

Drives: '13 ZL1 - 69' Camaro
70 COPO...

I completely respect each one of your opinions on stripes, as well as your opinions on personal attacks against you.

No one, and I mean no one, can predict (with 100% certainty) what will eventually be collectible. But, we could put a spin on it... let's say that for some reason something happens to GM, and they are forced to stop making Camaro's at the end of 2009. That would most likely happen due to financial issues, or lack of Camaro sales. Let's again assume that the total number of SS cars, stops around 20,000 units.

Fast forward to 2040. The 2010 Camaro has become collectible, there are now less than 10,000 model year 2010 Camaros, and only 2,000 of them have either factory stripes or dealer installed stripes. Now which one becomes more desirable (tell me, cause I really don't know)? What about the SS/RS cars? Are they more collectible in the future, even though many people think the RS features are lacking, for the price?

The absolute last thing I am worried about, is being laughed at for my decision, by my peers. I realize your peers may be other collectors, and mine are just car freaks, but I really can't imagine anyone laughing at me for my choice. Do people laugh at my 69 Camaro because it was a 6cyl coupe in a previous life? If they do they don't around me.

This is not meant, in any way, to be negative torward you. I have no idea what it is like to be a collector, as you have no idea what is driving me to buy this car, as is.

I am truly sorry that the stripes shortcomings have caused you to cancel, as a fellow enthusiast, but you cannot expect any bleeding hearts here.

Closed Thread