Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-15-2016, 05:16 PM   #1
Master_JJ

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Help a/c not working right

Only cold air at idel on my 2011 camaro SS...
Anyone else have this problem?
Master_JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:33 PM   #2
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Not yet... but at 5+ years, probably just needs a recharge.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:34 PM   #3
High Magnitude

Drives: 2014 2LT Camaro
What if mine smells weird sometimes?
Old 06-15-2016, 05:39 PM   #4
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_JJ View Post
Only cold air at idel on my 2011 camaro SS...
Anyone else have this problem?
Yes I did on my 2011 SS just a few days ago. It does not need a recharge, my issue was something with the wiring BEHIND THE DASH. They had to remove the dash and do something with the wires there, cost me $200.

The AC compressor worked 100% fine and had no leaks. Take it to an AC shop and have them check

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Magnitude View Post
Cabin filter bruh, change that sucker out.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:51 PM   #5
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
Yes I did on my 2011 SS just a few days ago. It does not need a recharge, my issue was something with the wiring BEHIND THE DASH. They had to remove the dash and do something with the wires there, cost me $200.

The AC compressor worked 100% fine and had no leaks. Take it to an AC shop and have them check

Cabin filter bruh, change that sucker out.
That's really odd! A wiring issue that is affected by the RPM or engine load? Any more details on what they did to fix it?
Old 06-15-2016, 05:56 PM   #6
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Magnitude View Post
See a doctor.

seriously though, it's mold in the evaporator. There are some services you can do to clean it out, I don't know if you local parts store would have them or not. You spray a cleaner/air freshener into the air intake on the cowl with the a/c on full blast. The best way to prevent it is to turn your a/c off for a minute with the fan on high to blow moisture out before you turn the car off. Every a/c system has the possibility to do this, not just a specific car, if it makes you feel better lol
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:04 PM   #7
wrtowman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
See a doctor.

seriously though, it's mold in the evaporator. There are some services you can do to clean it out, I don't know if you local parts store would have them or not. You spray a cleaner/air freshener into the air intake on the cowl with the a/c on full blast. The best way to prevent it is to turn your a/c off for a minute with the fan on high to blow moisture out before you turn the car off. Every a/c system has the possibility to do this, not just a specific car, if it makes you feel better lol
Dirty Sock Syndrome is real.
2011 SGM Camaro 1SS/RS A6 - Vengeance Racing built/tuned. 590RWHP/560RWTQ, ADM LSA Conversion, 2.5 Grip-Tec, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM, FIC1000, VRPD2 Cam and LS3 Conversion with all the internal goodies, American Racing 1 7/8 Headers, no cats, SW Retro Cat Back, ADM Intake, AFCO HX, Varimax Pump, Rotofab Reservoir, B&M Transmission Cooler, VMAX TB, Elite Engineering CC, BMR LCAs, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, DSS 1000hp axles, ZL1 Bumper and Sideskirts, Night Owl Halos, Matte Black 20" Rohana RC-22 with 20x10-275s/20x11-315s, R1 Concept Premier Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.
wrtowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:28 PM   #8
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_JJ View Post
Only cold air at idle on my 2011
So you DO have cold air at idle? That is very strange because of two things:

1) AC works better once the engine gets more RPMS
2) AC works better when more air is going through the condenser, which happens while you are moving.

Our AC systems are programmed to cut off the compressor when accelerating. That is normal.

Are you having a problem when cruising or just during acceleration?
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:43 PM   #9
Dmpsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
That's really odd! A wiring issue that is affected by the RPM or engine load? Any more details on what they did to fix it?
Jeez sorry man, I suck with these kind of engine terms.

So basically this is one of this little hole in the wall shops that "specializes" in AC.

I got REALLY lucky that the owner just experimented on a 5th gen just two weeks prior to me heading in. So they basically tried sealing the hoses, putting more refrigerant in there and eventually tried to replace the compressor.

None of them worked, so they did some research and found out it was some sort of wiring issue about some sort of controller that wasn't communicating properly with the AC system and that there's some bulletin that GM has for this thing on our cars.

Anyways.. requires pulling out the part of the dash to get to it and ...replace it I guess.

Thank God I didn't try replacing that compressor.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:45 PM   #10
Dmpsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
Jeez sorry man, I suck with these kind of engine terms.

So basically this is one of this little hole in the wall shops that "specializes" in AC.

I got REALLY lucky that the owner just experimented on a 5th gen just two weeks prior to me heading in. So they basically tried sealing the hoses, putting more refrigerant in there and eventually tried to replace the compressor.

None of them worked, so they did some research and found out it was some sort of wiring issue about some sort of controller that wasn't communicating properly with the AC system and that there's some bulletin that GM has for this thing on our cars.

Anyways.. requires pulling out the part of the dash to get to it and ...replace it I guess.

Thank God I didn't try replacing that compressor.

Edit: OP... try having them check what I had described, I was having that issue as well.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:06 AM   #11
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Mine stop working last week at 15,800 miles. Taking it to the dealer on Monday.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:31 AM   #12
Master_JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlink View Post
So you DO have cold air at idle? That is very strange because of two things:

1) AC works better once the engine gets more RPMS
2) AC works better when more air is going through the condenser, which happens while you are moving.

Our AC systems are programmed to cut off the compressor when accelerating. That is normal.

Are you having a problem when cruising or just during acceleration?

Hears more in detail what's going on .... About 2 weeks ago after work my a/c was only blowing cold air out the passenger side vents while warn air out the driver side vents.... I went out of town for 10 days and when I got back it did the exact same thing the next time I drove it to and from
Work.... Then then Tuesday morning my a/c started blowing cold air out of all the vent while I was sitting in the drive way as soon as i started driving it was blowing warm air out all the vents until I came to a complete stop.... It has been doing that now since then
Old 06-16-2016, 05:31 AM   #13
Master_JJ

Hears more in detail what's going on .... About 2 weeks ago after work my a/c was only blowing cold air out the passenger side vents while warn air out the driver side vents.... I went out of town for 10 days and when I got back it did the exact same thing the next time I drove it to and from
Work.... Then then Tuesday morning my a/c started blowing cold air out of all the vent while I was sitting in the drive way as soon as i started driving it was blowing warm air out all the vents until I came to a complete stop.... It has been doing that now since then
Old 06-16-2016, 06:02 AM   #14
Master_JJ

ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: SOFTWARE

Date Reported
SEPTEMBER 01, 2014
NHTSA Reference
TSB Reference
#PIC-5931-B
Description: CHEVROLET: SOME VEHICLES EXPERIENCING INCORRECT OR INACCURATE AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURE READING AND IPC NEEDS TO BE REPROGRAMMED.