Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 09-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
DRMKAR

Drives: 2012 2LT 45TH Anniv. RS Package.
Air Filter

Do we ever need to replace the air filter? I've cleaned it a few times but I've never replaced it..any need to ever replace it?
DRMKAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Go run around your neighborhood a few times trying to breath through a coffee stirrer. Come back and tell me how you feel...if you're still alive. The internal combustion engine is a giant air pump. The faster you get air in and air out, the more power you make. Change the filter if it's dirty bro!
Attached Images

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
How many miles do you have on your car and is it a aftermarket filter?
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
chevyfan#1
I Love my new Camaro!!

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMKAR View Post
Do we ever need to replace the air filter? I've cleaned it a few times but I've never replaced it..any need to ever replace it?
A filter by design is to filter "bad" items and keep them trapped so they don't pass through to whatever you are filtering them from, in this case your engine. All filters need to be replaced and/or cleaned depending on the filter. If you have the vehicles stock air filter it is the replacement type.
chevyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
depends...if you have a cleanable filter than no...just clean it and move on.

im pretty sure K&N has a "one million mile warrenty"

Quote:
K&N O/E Replacement Air Filters and Air Intake Systems purchased from Authorized Dealers are backed by a Million Mile Limited Warranty when used primarily on paved roads and on vehicles for which they were designed. If one of these products ever fails to provide complete satisfaction, K&N will replace it.
safe to say all you need to do is clean it.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
You can't clean the factory paper filters. I assume you mean removing leaves or debree, but that's not really cleaning it. Replace the filter at the recommended intervals or get a K&N type filter than can be cleaned.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMKAR View Post
Your Owner's Manual really is an amazing source of knowledge regarding care and operation of your Camaro. You should check it out sometime.

Page 11-5 (Maintenance Schedule) in the 2013 manual recommends checking your (stock) air filter at every oil change and replacing it every 45K miles.

If you have a CAI system, follow manufacturer's recommendations. Some of their filters are oiled and need to be cleaned and re-oiled periodically. Some are "permanent" filters and just need periodic cleaning.

I just checked mine a week ago (CAI Inc. system, oiled filter) and blew out some trash, a couple of wasps, and a moth that came in through the air scoop. The clear top on the CAI system makes it easy to keep an eye on it for debris.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Your Owner's Manual really is an amazing source of knowledge regarding care and operation of your Camaro. You should check it out sometime.

Page 11-5 (Maintenance Schedule) in the 2013 manual recommends checking your (stock) air filter at every oil change and replacing it every 45K miles.

If you have a CAI system, follow manufacturer's recommendations. Some of their filters are oiled and need to be cleaned and re-oiled periodically. Some are "permanent" filters and just need periodic cleaning.

I just checked mine a week ago (CAI Inc. system, oiled filter) and blew out some trash, a couple of wasps, and a moth that came in through the air scoop. The clear top on the CAI system makes it easy to keep an eye on it for debris.
This guy speaks the truth in everything he said, especially regarding the owners manual. So many people overlook them but there is usually a wealth of information to be found in it, as well as how to use features that you otherwise might not realize your vehicle even has.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
DRMKAR

Drives: 2012 2LT 45TH Anniv. RS Package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
This guy speaks the truth in everything he said, especially regarding the owners manual. So many people overlook them but there is usually a wealth of information to be found in it, as well as how to use features that you otherwise might not realize your vehicle even has.
I have read the owners manual, missed that part. I learned how to do Bluetooth, the HomeLink for garage, and some other stuff. Thanks!
DRMKAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2019 Black 2SS
What Palmer's really trying to say is... don't post on message boards.

rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
mailclerk

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Replace it if it's dirty

If you take your Camaro into the dealership that's one of the most important parts of the car! If you ckeck it yourself I'd change it every time it looks really dirty. Perhaps twice per year is good.

Mail Clerk
mailclerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #12
Kiteboarder85

Drives: 2018 SS - 2015 SS 1LE - 2013 SS
Just invest in CAI Inc's Cold Air Intake - you'll never need to purchase a filter for a longggggg time. Needless to say, you also get sweet performance out of it and you'll never regret the purchase.