Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #71
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
I've spent about 11K on my 1LE(all cosmetics and performance mods or parts/labor/shipping/taxes/tuning and dyno time)[see my garage or sig journal link for all mods] and I have a custom car to my liking that will do the following to a ZL1:

:fightin g0056:

HA To each is their own but its easy to buy a ZL1 and call it a day as I heavily considered before the 1LE came out. I'm quite happy with my choice as I'm still cheaper than a base ZL1.
Take your incentives and invoice pricing out.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #72
mrmertz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvp33 View Post
Wow, somebody didn't do their homework before buying. Can't imagine making a $50k+ mistake on a car.........sorry for your loss?
Yup. That's about what it amounts to. I didn't feel that way with the SS at all afterwards. With all the ZL reviews, etc. I just expected more "wow" factor. if you were to blindfold me I couldn't tell the difference. Granted, the ZL has to go through its break-in period yet too.

Stupid is as stupid does I know, and this one is on me 100%. Perhaps it will grow on me after break-in when I get to take it up between 4,000 and 6,000 revs, but somehow I doubt it. When I see them at the dealership tomorrow I'll let them know too. (Yeah, then they'll offer me a trade on that down to my old SS!).
Old 06-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #73
mrmertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodslnger View Post
Zl1 may not feel fast op but example is cam99 just cai and reservoir and he is running 11.49. Mine did not feel impressive either until i put a cai and had mike from vengeance adjust the timing. My 2000 camaro back in 2002 with full bolt
ons h/c/i/e went 11.60s at 121.
Thanks. I just was hoping it would kick me in the pants harder right out of the lot just as would if I had added cai and such. Oh well. Live and learn my brothers.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #74
Rodslnger

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmertz View Post
Sorry, didn't want to sound like I am bashing the ZL1 here. Not in the least. I can't think of one review that hated the vehicle.

For those of you who have owned one for a while...IN SO FAR AS STREET USE WITHOUT DUMPING MO' MONEY INTO IT...when do I get to feel the extra 154 more horses over my SS 1LE?

Notice I'm TRYING to make myself feel better here.
Take it to the track forget about the 1500 mi break in i was flat on the floor with 5 mi on it and no oil consumption problems. keep the blower cool no big smoky burn outs.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #75
cam99

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmertz View Post
Sorry, didn't want to sound like I am bashing the ZL1 here. Not in the least. I can't think of one review that hated the vehicle.

For those of you who have owned one for a while...IN SO FAR AS STREET USE WITHOUT DUMPING MO' MONEY INTO IT...when do I get to feel the extra 154 more horses over my SS 1LE?

Notice I'm TRYING to make myself feel better here.
Honestly the thing that bothered me alot about the car when I got it was the absence of blower noise. Coming from fords I was used to hearing it, and love that sound. That was the guiding factor in me getting the roto fab cai, so I could hear it! I think it will help alot too when you get your break in miles done. The car really pulls on the top end but you can't experience it yet. That will help

2012 ZL1 (sold)
JRE 75rwhp kit
catless
ported lsa TB

11.04 @ 128.35
on hoosier drs and skinnies
@ PRP with 1100DA
Old 06-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #76
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
To the OP. I think it's great that you found out that buying the higher priced ZL1 didn't suit your needs and are happy with what you have. The results would have been different if your SS was stock, but your financially ahead by keeping your car. Many of the features and handling characteristics of the ZL1 are great on the street, but are better suited to road racing. The best thing about the ZL1 IMO is that there are few things that need upgrading to make it a fun car. I realized that it would have cost me much more to make an SS into what I wanted. I would have never been happy with the performance of a stock SS.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #77
Secret Squirrel

Drives: 1965 Chevelle Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
To the OP. I think it's great that you found out that buying the higher priced ZL1 didn't suit your needs and were happy with what you have. The results would have been different if your SS was stock, but your financially ahead by keeping your car. Many of the features and handling characteristics of the ZL1 are great on the street, but are better suited to road racing. The best thing about the ZL1 IMO is that there are few things that need upgrading to make it a satisfactory car. I realized that it would have cost me much more to make an SS into what I wanted.
Couldn't agree more. If I had only driven a stock SS, and then drove the ZL1, I would most likely be in love with it. It is an amazing car, no doubt about it.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #78
mrmertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam99 View Post
Honestly the thing that bothered me alot about the car when I got it was the absence of blower noise. Coming from fords I was used to hearing it, and love that sound. That was the guiding factor in me getting the roto fab cai, so I could hear it! I think it will help alot too when you get your break in miles done. The car really pulls on the top end but you can't experience it yet. That will help
Thanks! I noticed on the charts it starts doing its job at 4,200 and above.

I just joined the Camaro club here in Tucson, and so far from the hoods that I have seen up at our meets I think I'm the only guy who DOESN'T have a cai!

Some have the Roto Fabs, some have Airaid and others I can't tell. There seems to be a gamut of different manufacturers out there. The thing I kept hearing was quicker response time.

Does adding a cai affect your warranty at all?

Sorry OP....didn't mean to momentarily high jack your thread!

Last edited by mrmertz; 06-23-2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 06-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #79
SSinisterLS3

Drives: 07 C6 LS2
Ok. I'll pour my gas on the fire. The ZL1, to me, is just the most pointless car since the Malibu Maxx. It's a track car with four seats. Here, in Texas, these things go for around 70 grand. That's absolutely overpriced. For ten thousand more, you can get a GTR. The GTR has reigned the "4 seater" track world since it came out. Also, you want to talk power? A few grand can have you pushing 700 easy. All wheel drive to put it down.

On to my personal view. I have an SS because there was no ZL1 available. The SS was in my price range. I get the same engine, and MY option of what to do with it. Personally, Turbonetics sounds good. 640hp cranking out of the same motor as a ZL1 is just enough to make a ZL1 cry. Oh, and it's only 7,000 to do it since it fits....on a stock SS platform.

This, and while I was out looking, I saw that a grand sport is the same price as a ZL1 since the ZL1 has no incentives. The grand sport is....well...lets just say it is a ZL1 on slim fast. It weighs nothing. The suspension....that thing was born for track racing. Power, yeah. Doesn't throw you back, but neither will that ZL1. Looks? Heh. Seen more *** get pulled in grand sports than you can even imagine. Heck, base vettes even have that same aura. I'm YET to see someone in a ZL1 with a good looking woman. They are always alone.

No argument made for the ZL1 will surpass the grand sport. If you need four seats, why do you want a track car? If you want a track car, why are you buying the slower, more expensive, heavier, gas guzzling, non hard top option having vehicle? If you are talking track car, we are talking GTR. On a GM site, we are talking vette. On a Ford site, we are talking Boss 302. On a Dodge site, we are talking viper. It's just how it works. What the ZL1 is is a car that Chevy made to appease a rich camaro enthusiast who wants the "best" camaro to bring back "the old day feeling." Corvette. It's what's for dinner.

Would I buy a ZL1? No. Never. Haven't even thought about it. 70 grand can get me a 2008 viper coupe with 6k miles on the clock. A GTR with 2k on the clock. Looking at autotrader as we speak. No thanks. I don't think of vipers, 911s, Ford GTs, GTRs and....ZL1s.....see it just doesn't belong.

If you bought one, you are the one who can not justify it. GT500s each your lunch in the straight. For less money. Bosses eat you up in the corners. For half the money. The only thing you can beat on track day, is someone there with an SS without a 1LE package.....and you better hope it isn't a 1LE. Then your biggest worry will be where the 20 grand they saved went to.

ZL1. Sorry. No go. Since military was spoken, I appreciate all of your services, even if you went in for 30 minutes to each lunch. It gives people like me the right to say things like this. If this is too much of an opinion, and you are offended, then sorry. I won't change my opinion (supported by facts) just because you are. I have the right to it, as these men and women have fought to protect. At the end of the day, a Hummer is slow and overpriced. If you want to drive it, it is yours. Look at me! I'm a guy driving a SS with green stripes. You think I care when someone says "Looks like someone barfed on your car." Nope. Chug along. Drive what you want. Just had to add this in there to give the SS and V6 owners a sword to fight with.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #80
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
At an ADM of $70k, I agree with most of your points, but at MSRP of less than $60k with some options, it's a good buy. The precious GTR is closer to $100k new, so it's not a fair comparison.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #81
bowtiefamily

Drives: Chevrolet
Well I paid $53, 500 and walked my friends 04 Gallardoand that is $90k so allyou can say whatever you want because my wife's 11' SS is very nice (stock) but what a difference to the ZL1. Even my wife in the passenger seat says she noticed a huge difference fr m mine to hers. I even love driving my 69' 383 500hp for its a different animal. Now I did drive a auto ZL1 and it to us felt not as good.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #82
cam99

Drives: 2012 ZL1
This thread has spiralled out of control.

2012 ZL1 (sold)
JRE 75rwhp kit
catless
ported lsa TB

11.04 @ 128.35
on hoosier drs and skinnies
@ PRP with 1100DA
Old 06-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #83
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam99 View Post
This thread has spiralled out of control.
Couldn't have said it better myself....

Too much butt hurt and elitist attitude...

Closed...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...

Closed Thread