Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 06-29-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
MikeL

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS
California Laws and Regulation Information.

Laws and Regulations that may/may not be specific to California. All this information is subject to change pending new laws, bills, and all that legal jargon. This thread is meant to help those who just want some quick information, please do some side research so you can make informed decisions regarding the law and your vehicle. Disclaimer: I am not; nor is anyone who helped with this information, responsible if you get in trouble with the law... know the laws and be informed.

Need Front License Plate?
Yes it is a law in California to have a front license plate. Many members can attest to having been pulled over or asked to fix, and many others have not. First offense is just a fix-it ticket, from that point you are probably looking at large fines and possible court dates for more then 2 offenses. Put on or don't at your own risk!

Window Tint Information Specific to California:
The CHP's (California Highway Patrols) has this under its FAQ's sections.
Quote:
Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

1. The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.

2. The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.
Source: http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

Headlight/Taillight Tint and/or Modification:
  • It is illegal to modify the headlight or taillight with tint. (Thanks Silver2SSRS6spd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver2SSRS6spd
V.C. 26101. No person shall sell or offer for sale for use upon or as part of the equipment of a vehicle, nor shall any person use upon a vehicle, any device that is intended to modify the original design or performance of any lighting equipment, safety glazing material, or other device, unless the modifying device meets the provisions of Section 26104. This section does not apply to a taillamp or stop lamp in use on or prior to December 1, 1935, or to lamps installed on authorized emergency vehicles.
Smog Related Information:
  • Camaro's are 50 state smog legal.
  • If you buy out of state, the DMV may require you to get it Smog checked once it arrives. (Thanks Kas)

California has some of the most progressive and extreme smog laws in the nation. Many people wonder if ordering out of state is an issue when they need to get their vehicle smogged. CamaroScotty reaffirmed as many of us know that Camaro's are 50 state smog legal. This means if you order out of state bringing your brand new toy to California will not be an issue.

Radar Detectors
  • Radar Detectors are in fact legal in California.

The only states where Radar Detectors are illegal to my knowledge is Washington D.C. and Virginia (Thanks monstertodd). They are also illegal on Military Installations/bases (Thanks cplabaunza) , which is most likely a federal offense if caught. They are illegal to have on the installation, and some user's experience has been verbal warnings as long as they are not plugged in or being operated while on "post." (Thanks hoekdup)

Radar Jammers
  • Radar Jammers are illegal in California (Thanks Silver2SSRS6spd)
  • The reason Jammers are illegal "on the federal level" is because they violate FCC guidelines (Thanks hoekdup)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver2SSRS6spd View Post

28150. (a) No vehicle shall be equipped with any device that is designed for, or is capable of, jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects.
(b) No person shall use, buy, possess, manufacture, sell, or otherwise distribute any device that is designed for jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects.
(c) Except as provided in subdivision (d), a violation of subdivision (a) or (b) is an infraction.
(d) When a person possesses four or more devices in violation of subdivision (b), the person is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(e) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a person who has a valid federal license for operating the devices described in this section may transport one or more of those devices if the license is carried in the vehicle transporting the device at all times when the device is being transported.

Header Information
  • Shorty Headers are generally legal as long as they have passed CARB inspection
  • Long Tubes will NOT pass visual smog inspection, even if they run cleaner then factory setup. Basically long tubes are illegal.

Mindz helped me with this one, thanks for the information!

Quote:
Shorty headers are legal so long as they have a California Air Resources Bard (CARB) authorization/certification sticker, or a EO Exemption #. This means they have submitted the piece to CARB and CARB has tested and ok'ed the piece. Some shorty header manufactures don't take the time/resources to get this number so they are illegal, but most shorty headers are legal.

As for long tubes. Because they move the Cats, they are illegal in general and will fail a visual inspection, even if they run cleaner than stock. This means that none of them will have a CARB/EO number because they can't get the certification if they move the cats. There are some places that won't check under the car to see if you have longtubes, so you can get away with it, but if a police/CHP pulls you over and notices that you have them, they will most likely send you to a state referee which means you will have to take them off and have them sign off.
Moving to California?
  • You have 10 business days to report your move to the California DMV. (See Kunihiro information below)
  • Active military members in California who have registered vehicles in another state may be exempt from current California vehicle codes (to an extent). Please check with other active military members to confirm specifically. This just means you may not have to change your window tint, long tube headers, and other California V.C. violations that are legal in other states while you're "stationed" here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunihiro View Post
If a person moves into California with their personal property (including out of state registered vehicles), that person has 10 business days to report that change of address to the California DMV.
Out of State Military Personnel (Thanks for the updated information ghostrider2)

Per DMV: "Nonresident military personnel stationed in California or their spouses may operate their vehicles with valid out-of-state license plates from their home state or the state where the military person was last stationed" (This changes when/if you claim a homeowner's exemption in California)

Rent or lease a residence in California?
Military personnel, stationed in California are exempt from payment of the vehicle license fee (VLF) on any vehicle owned or leased and registered in California provided:
  • The nonresident military owner is shown as a lessee or registered owner of the vehicle.
  • The vehicle is not operated "for hire."

I decided on the idea to make a thread related to California specific laws. Any help is appreciated as maybe we can get this stickied if it turns into something good.

Last edited by MikeL; 07-08-2014 at 04:22 PM.
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
tribone
Searchin' ....

Drives: Powered by Bowtie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
Laws and Regulations that may/may not be specific to California. All this information is subject to change pending new laws, bills, and all that legal jargon. This thread is meant to help those who just want some quick information, please do some side research so you can make informed decisions regarding the law and your vehicle. Disclaimer: I am not responsible if you get in trouble with the law... know the laws and be informed.

Need Front License Plate?
Yes it is a law in California to have a front license plate. Many members can attest to having been pulled over or asked to fix, and many others have not. First offense is just a fix-it ticket, from that point you are probably looking at large fines and possible court dates for more then 2 offenses. Put on or don't at your own risk!

Window Tint Information Specific to California:
  • Windshield - Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
  • Front Side Windows - Must allow more than 70% of light in.
  • Back Side Windows - Any darkness can be used.
  • Rear Window - Any darkness can be used.
Source: http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/
That source should also give you a bit more specific info on tinting. Also for how reflective your tint can be, usually not more reflective then normal glass.

The CHP's (California Highway Patrols) has this under its FAQ's sections.

Source: http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

Smog Related Information:
  • Camaro's are 50 state smog legal.
California has some of the most progressive and extreme smog laws in the nation. Many people wonder if ordering out of state is an issue when they need to get their vehicle smogged.CamaroScotty reaffirmed as many of us know that Camaro's are 50 state smog legal. This means if you order out of state bringing your brand new toy to California will not be an issue.

Radar Detectors
  • Radar Detectors are in fact legal in California.
The only state where Radar Detectors are illegal to my knowledge is Washington D.C.

Plush Toy Theft
Plush toy theft is both illegal and can bring the wrath of Camaro5 to you.

I decided on the idea to make a thread related to California specific laws. Any help is appreciated as maybe we can get this stickied if it turns into something good.
Thank you very much!!! Very helpful and informative!!

-Guillermo
My Pictures
tribone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:17 AM   #3
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
Radar Detectors

The only state where Radar Detectors are illegal to my knowledge is

Washington D.C.

Radar detectors are illegal in Virginia as well.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Very helpful indeed, MikeL!!!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Thanks!
Yup, already got a fix-it ticket for my missing front LP :(
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
MikeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribone View Post
Thank you very much!!! Very helpful and informative!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
Very helpful indeed, MikeL!!!
Anytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
Thanks! Changed the info to include Virginia. Ill try to keep the post updated as much as possible.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
rdono
Cavallino

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IMO-IMO
Tint on front side windows will get you a ticket unless you have clear (non-factory tinted glass) per CVC. The web sites info is incorrect, trust me the first offense cost me $100, the second 360 and tint is gone. Sorry I do not have the code as I can not find the ticket, but you can access the CVC from the DMV's website.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
MikeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdono View Post
Tint on front side windows will get you a ticket unless you have clear (non-factory tinted glass) per CVC. The web sites info is incorrect, trust me the first offense cost me $100, the second 360 and tint is gone. Sorry I do not have the code as I can not find the ticket, but you can access the CVC from the DMV's website.
Thanks for the info Ill change it up. I kinda thought that website countered the CHP's info. I'll just remove that source all together.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:05 AM   #9
cplabaunza

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Radar Detectors are also illegal in Military Installations/bases

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
*Black 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8
*Black 2005 Yamaha R6 (Raven color)
*Black 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS/M6 (SOLD)
*Black 2003 Dodge Neon SRT4 (SOLD)
*Inca Gold 2002 Chrysler Prowler(SOLD)
cplabaunza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
DET MSCL
Camaro Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via MSN to DET MSCL Send a message via Yahoo to DET MSCL Send a message via Skype™ to DET MSCL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Thanks!
That sucks...I realize it is only a matter of time before I get nailed...

2010 Victory Red 2SS ~ Black Leather ~ Cyber Grey Rally Stripes ~ Auto ~ SunRoof ~ Polished 20s, VIN: 102432

Ordered: 10/16/2008, Built: 4/3/2009, On The Rail: 5/21/2009, Departed Michigan: 6/1/2009, Delivered: 6/11/2009
DET MSCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
Habu

Drives: 2011 srt8 392 & 2010 2ss/rs
This is like my 9th car I've tinted the windows in. and no flp. My experience is they wont bother you about it unless you make them (racing excessive speed)
Habu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #12
MikeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habu View Post
This is like my 9th car I've tinted the windows in. and no flp. My experience is they wont bother you about it unless you make them (racing excessive speed)
Yeah many people get away with it just fine. But they can always use it to pull you over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplabaunza View Post
Radar Detectors are also illegal in Military Installations/bases
Thanks, updated

Last edited by MikeL; 07-05-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #13
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS Manual
Radar jammers are ileagal in this state as well.
Jamming: Electronic Speed-Measuring Devices

28150. (a) No vehicle shall be equipped with any device that is designed for, or is capable of, jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects.
(b) No person shall use, buy, possess, manufacture, sell, or otherwise distribute any device that is designed for jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects.
(c) Except as provided in subdivision (d), a violation of subdivision (a) or (b) is an infraction.
(d) When a person possesses four or more devices in violation of subdivision (b), the person is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(e) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a person who has a valid federal license for operating the devices described in this section may transport one or more of those devices if the license is carried in the vehicle transporting the device at all times when the device is being transported.
Jamming: Electronic Speed-Measuring Devices

Old 07-06-2010, 12:27 AM   #14
2010rod
JAWS

Drives: 2010 2SS Silver Ice Metallic