The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 04-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
rmms99

Drives: Arctic white C7 Z51 LT2 on order
She died!

So I have searched but have not found any like posts. Last night around 2am my AW z51 manual started making a noise like the engine was misfiring and then completely stalled out (I did not run out of gas). Power remained but would not turn over on attempted restart. Tow guy said this was his fifth stingray with same problem and told me to try to start with foot 1/2 to 3/4 to floor and it almost started but would not. He said a fuel pressure issue. Anyone heard of this? Ideas?
3/5 Delivered
rmms99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
gthal

Drives: 2014 Z51 coupe
I highly doubt it is the 5th one in NY as yours would be the first one I have heard of with this type of issue... on this forum and the other big Corvette forum I think the tow truck driver was full of sh!t.

Keep us in the loop as the dealer figures out what is up and good luck!!
1996 BMW M3 | Estoril blue | Track car | Heavily modded for the track but still street legal... barely
Previous: 2011 M3 coupe | Jerez black | Fox Red interior | Competition Package | M-DCT
gthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I'm with gthal - if there were 5 in just the NY area where its been very cold and snowy for months and no one driving their Stingrays, there'd be dozens and dozens in the warm states by now. I'd say yours is a very isolated case. In any case it sucks!

I wouldn't even take the driver's opinion of it being a fuel pressure issue too seriously. He's a truck driver not a mechanic specializing in Stingrays. There are number of things it could be, ranging from a bad fuel pump relay or ignition switch to a major mechanical problem. Best to just see what your dealer finds out. Please keep us posted when learn more!
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '22 Challenger GT
I'd say it's Bush's fault.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
rmms99

Drives: Arctic white C7 Z51 LT2 on order
So apparently the engine is done. "Major internal failure" was as specific as they would be. GM now deciding on a new engine versus new car. I had 300 miles on it.
3/5 Delivered
rmms99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #6
Jabs

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmms99 View Post
So apparently the engine is done. "Major internal failure" was as specific as they would be. GM now deciding on a new engine versus new car. I had 300 miles on it.
That sucks I would ask for a new car!

Jabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
BRCC
BRCC Webmaster

Drives: 2017 GS 3LT Sterling Blue/Gray Int
Quote:
So I have searched but have not found any like posts. Last night around 2am my AW z51 manual started making a noise like the engine was misfiring and then completely stalled out (I did not run out of gas). Power remained but would not turn over on attempted restart. Tow guy said this was his fifth stingray with same problem and told me to try to start with foot 1/2 to 3/4 to floor and it almost started but would not. He said a fuel pressure issue. Anyone heard of this? Ideas?
I had somewhat the same initial problem, A6 pulled up to a signal engine shut down, all electronics still working, attempted to restart and it cranked like it had a dead battery attempted to restart many times before the tow truck arrived, still no go just what appeared to be about a half turn on the engine (Very slow). Back at the dealer we put a jump on it and it started, we restarted it a few times and all appeared normal. I am leaving it at the dealer until they can completely go through it even though no problems found. It appeared to be charging correctly 13.5 to 14.2. Engine sounds normal and runs well - The big question is when will it happen again and where?
BRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #8
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Ouch! I think I'd demand a new car, as new as yours is. GM has done it in the past.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #9
jrock

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Sucks about your car. That's really disappointing............side note, that tow truck driver is full of it. Five stingrays that he PERSONALLY towed that suffered from major internal failure. I hate people like this. Make up shit just to feel relevant.
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:01 AM   #10
Nate GM
Rand Paul 2016

Drives: Corvette Stingray Z51 2LT
Quote:

Old 04-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #11
VertOnOrder

Drives: C7 Vert on order, 3LT, NPP, MagRide
Quote:
Hey Rm...

As much of the fan of the C7 that I am....I am sad to say, I am experiencing a similar issue. I noticed a "fluttering sound" when I accelerated higher than 2500 rpm...in any gear. Went to dealer to check it out, and My car has been at dealer for over 8 days now....they could not identify problem. Finally got approval from GM to open engine cover, and they are in process of taking engine apart now...they said they would keep working down, until they identify the problem (meaning, they might take this whole engine apart, to determine the issue!).

I don't know what to do! Car has 967 miles on it... Curious what you decided on for your ride, or what GM ended up doing???
VertOnOrder is offline   Reply With Quote