Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #99
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
I cammed it again. I loved it! Hope I made the right decision. It will be hard to look at her with that same level of love and trust though. I will feel like I am looking at a pregnant bastard step daughter

Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #100
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

I did go back to the stock pulley in place of the SLP under pulley because harmonics plays a big role in breaking chains ( from another thread)
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 10-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #101
2012-2SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Sh!t happens dude. Last month the aftermarket heads on my truck warped causing a head gasket to blow. After pulling the heads I found the valve seals pulled out of the heads and rode up the valve stems. Upon further inspection I found the inner valve springs to be broken damaging the spring pads. I guess my cam is too big...:screwy:
So instead of machining the heads and replacing/upgrading the whole valve train, I chose to just buy a whole new set of heads and now the engine runs better than before.

Let me know how it turns out for ya

Oh and good call on dropping the under drive pulleys. I don't see a point using them on a street driven vehicle.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

2012-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #102
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Thanks. I will. Sorry to hear about your truck. Should have it end of next week because of work. The pulley only adds 5-7 hp. But I got caught up on the cam kit and it was needed to make the listed HP.

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 10-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #103
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
Any idea on Cost to fix yet
Old 10-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #104
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Not yet.

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 10-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #105
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxspeed View Post
I cammed it again. I loved it! Hope I made the right decision. It will be hard to look at her with that same level of love and trust though. I will feel like I am looking at a pregnant bastard step daughter

Just keep in mind that ...it's not her fault that she is what you called her ....
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #106
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Don't feel bad. Mine can home from the track today on a flatbed. Actually my trailer but that's close enough. Something happened on the second pass down the tract. Ill be leaving it at Teds tomorrow. Hopefully it's a quick fix. I need it Tuesday am to race in KY.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #107
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Good luck with it Say hello to Princess for me~

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 10-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #108
2xSSRS

Drives: 2017 SS Black on Black A8
Quote:
Good luck with it Say hello to Princess for me~
Max, PM me if you don't mind. I plan a cam install this winter, and would like to know what you did for a cam, chain and oil pump. Thx...
Old 10-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #109
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I allways made sure I put a good double roller timing chain on my small block chevies I built. Though the engines may be more complicated now than in the past they are still the same when it comes to push rod engines.......
Your push rods were replaced right? they are likely to have been bent and stressed....Did you look at your pistons? Valves can bite the top of pistons pretty hard, but you did not really skip timing as compaired to loosing it all together. I do not know if the pistons come with reliefs in them and if they are domed or flat of what.........People need to know that aluminum expands and contracts more than cast iron so heads and other critical tolerances need to be retorqued.....I used to do them every 50-70 thousand miles on my cast iron blocks. And throw out old pitted performance intakes that pit from the antifreeze over time..( like 100K+). unlike redecking a head the shaving of a intake is not an option. And retorquing the headers was a every few months task due to thier expansion and contraction and the shaking of the engine ......Oh how I miss the nice lope of my last 406....well my zl1 will fix that. Good luck to you...I would want to look at the engine when it was tore down if it was me is all I am saying to check the cylinder bores and pistons etc etc and make sure i had a magnetic plug in the fresh oil in the pan.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #110
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

I was told the rods were fine. We used hardened rods with the cam install. I was told there was one small nick in a piston that was polished out. Hoping lightning doesnt strike twice.

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 10-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #111
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
I allways made sure I put a good double roller timing chain on my small block chevies I built. Though the engines may be more complicated now than in the past they are still the same when it comes to push rod engines.......
Your push rods were replaced right? they are likely to have been bent and stressed....Did you look at your pistons? Valves can bite the top of pistons pretty hard, but you did not really skip timing as compaired to loosing it all together. I do not know if the pistons come with reliefs in them and if they are domed or flat of what.........People need to know that aluminum expands and contracts more than cast iron so heads and other critical tolerances need to be retorqued.....I used to do them every 50-70 thousand miles on my cast iron blocks. And throw out old pitted performance intakes that pit from the antifreeze over time..( like 100K+). unlike redecking a head the shaving of a intake is not an option. And retorquing the headers was a every few months task due to thier expansion and contraction and the shaking of the engine ......Oh how I miss the nice lope of my last 406....well my zl1 will fix that. Good luck to you...I would want to look at the engine when it was tore down if it was me is all I am saying to check the cylinder bores and pistons etc etc and make sure i had a magnetic plug in the fresh oil in the pan.
Unfortunately I am just a guy without car knowledge but I have a credit card. I trust my builder.

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 10-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #112
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
I did go back to the stock pulley in place of the SLP under pulley because harmonics plays a big role in breaking chains ( from another thread)
most chain failures you hear about the person also has a under pulley. This makes me feel better about my stock chain.

also glad to see you cammed it again, i personally couldn't do it again lol. but you are living more than me! haha
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote