Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #2913
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
No. Walmart does not sell assault rifles period.
Not true. In Cali they don't. When I went to Alabama this summer WALMART had several AR-15's for sale. It depends on the state.

Now since this latest tradegdy they may discontinue selling them altogether.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #2914
ripcurl329

Drives: 2012 SS/RS 45th & 1970 SS/RS 350
The Walmart here in VA sell the Colt AR15 for $1,050 and the Bushmaster for $875. They have been going fast.

Kenny Powers: Sure, I’ve been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I’m not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren’t as good. That used to be called patriotism.
ripcurl329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #2915
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxspeed View Post
I would trade my 1SS for that Hurst Challenger in half a heartbeat

But you're right; the logic behind the bans is completely not there. The same logic says that since drunk drivers kill people, the answer is to come up with stricter rules for people who don't drink and drive.

While the goal is completely laudable- saving lives- the method employed cannot achieve the goal.

I think it's true that the overwhelming majority of gun-owners in the USA understand that
Old 12-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #2916
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlux View Post
Looking for some beginners advice - with the impending gun control changes that have been promised I'm applying for my permit just to have and own a hand gun.

I am doing this before it becomes difficult to obtain a permit or own for whatever reasons.

My question is - I'm a fair beginner when it comes to hand guns and would just like to see what everyone's opinion is on a solid and 'enjoyable to fire at the range' handgun. Either revolver or pistol.

Thanks for any advice everyone
I have several 1911 type pistols. There's several knocks on them, according to the internet-

Single stack magazine, hard to field strip, inaccurate, not dependable...the list goes on.

It's a bunch of sour grapes. The 1911 design is not flawed; it is, quite seriously, so popular because the thing is so right in so many ways. What has happened is so many makers make so many different variations, with different tolerances, etc. If 50 companies all make their own version of a' Glock', some of them would make a lousy pistol

However- the manual of arms for it is not as easy as some other pistols, and for a concealed carry weapon, it may not be ideal unless you get a 'Commander' style, unless you're a pretty big guy, and it is fairly heavy, although most full size auto-loaders are

What the others don't have is the grip, thumb, and half-co cked safeties, where you can carry the pistol safely fully c ocked and that does complicate the thing a bit, but a bit is still something) a double action/single action pistol like a SIG P226

I would actually recommend a DS/SA pistol as a first center-fire pistol instead of the single action 1911 type although I love my 1911s

The SIG P226 is a hell of a fine pistol; I own one and love it The 92FS is another simialr type I'd own. I have fired them but I don't own one

But the 1911 has a very sweet trigger. My P226 is close, but cannot ever be the same; the 1911 trigger pulls straight back while the P226 is hinged

My own P226 has no dedicated safety. I do not know if this is common to all P226s, mine is old, made in 1988
Old 12-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #2917
Interlux

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS - SW/IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlux View Post
Looking for some beginners advice - with the impending gun control changes that have been promised I'm applying for my permit just to have and own a hand gun.

I am doing this before it becomes difficult to obtain a permit or own for whatever reasons.

My question is - I'm a fair beginner when it comes to hand guns and would just like to see what everyone's opinion is on a solid and 'enjoyable to fire at the range' handgun. Either revolver or pistol.

Thanks for any advice everyone
Thanks for the advice everyone - I now have a few starting points and will plan on going to my local range and trying a few of these out.

Several of you right off the bat suggested the 1911 and the SIG 226 so that's where I will start with my research and testing

Other suggestions are welcome to add to my list as I probably won't make it back to the range until the new year.
Interlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #2918
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

One thing to remember is to actually hold the pistols. You may just not like the feel of some of them

Even better if you get to shoot them first
Old 12-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #2919
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
No. Walmart does not sell assault rifles period.
Wrong. Walmart DOES sell assault rifles PERIOD!!!!

Notice the 3 ARs in this pic. Also notice the "Gun of the Month" which is the gun that Walmart has sold the most of in December is a Colt AR-15. This pic was taken last weekend just a couple days after the Newton shooting.

Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #2920
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
Walmart in my town doesn't even sell ammo. It all depends on the location.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #2921
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Wrong. Walmart DOES sell assault rifles PERIOD!!!!

Notice the 3 ARs in this pic. Also notice the "Gun of the Month" which is the gun that Walmart has sold the most of in December is a Colt AR-15. This pic was taken last weekend just a couple days after the Newton shooting.

Jesus god is this ever gonna go away those are not ASSAULT WEAPONS, as those are fully automatic, these are just semi-auto.
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #2922
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by driyac View Post
Jesus god is this ever gonna go away those are not ASSAULT WEAPONS, as those are fully automatic, these are just semi-auto.
Assault rifles does not have to be full auto. The definition of an assault rifle is a full OR SEMI-AUTO rifle that can use detachable, high capacity magazines.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #2923
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
I shoot in the field behind the house... I'm half-way between Lawton and Duncan.
oh cool, I drive to Duncan every morning for work
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #2924
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post

My own P226 has no dedicated safety. I do not know if this is common to all P226s, mine is old, made in 1988
I think this is a Sig thing. Several of their handguns have no dedicated safety. I don't know about their rifles...
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #2925
Darkstar November

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Assault rifles does not have to be full auto. The definition of an assault rifle is a full OR SEMI-AUTO rifle that can use detachable, high capacity magazines.
An "assault rifle" is select fire, capable of firing multiple rounds per trigger pull

And ar15 is not an assault rifle

Damn you tapatalk!
Darkstar November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #2926
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar November View Post
An "assault rifle" is select fire, capable of firing multiple rounds per trigger pull

And ar15 is not an assault rifle
See... this is where the debate has too many grey lines. An AR-15 absolutely has the ability to have select fire. It's just that the store models sold don't have that installed. But to say an AR-15 is NOT an assault rifle really isn't accurate either, because that switch can be installed relatively easily.

So... the AR-15 with the select fire installed IS an assault rifle.
The one without it technically is just a "semi-auto rifle".

Additionally, it's still up to state law. You can have an AR-15 with NO select fire, still be considered an "assault weapon" if it has certain characteristics. The law is very specific, and says "semi-automatic rifle with..."

That's kind of the problem with the AR platform. It's too easy to cross it from one form to another. So you can't make a generic statement about it, even thought everyone (myself included) do.

For that matter, unless it's a Colt... it's not even an AR-15.
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro gun