Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #29
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icandrivejustnotlegally View Post
It cost factor that probably preventing them from doing that, and extra time.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #30
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Absolutely cost and time are both factors, but look at it this way...if you ever want an engine built, you're that much wiser with this knowledge in you data base!
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #31
Mark H

Drives: 04 Denali
Very interesting. I'll be watching this thread

But Officer, I swear its just a vacuum leak.

Those red things? those are smog pumps!

2004 Sierra Denali ----- 2/4 drop
LSX 438 TWIN TURBO

LSX Block Video
Block number 00370. Build Date 04/17/2007
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #32
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Very nice! It's little touches like this that will give GM the edge over the other manufactures.
armysig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #33
REAPER SS

Drives: 2010 CAMARO BLK 2SS/L99
REAPER SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #34
ex-SS-ve

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeron View Post
Wouldn't you think this process would be used on all the engines for a better product?
I always figured it was the standard for how a block should be machined and just assumed that it was common practice for every auto manufacturer to ensure the best quality built motor. Guess i was wrong about that.
ex-SS-ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #35
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Deck plate honing nearly duplicates the head bolt loads that cause distortion in the block when they are screwed in. By using the same gaskets, bolts, and torquing procedure, the cylinders deform like they would after the engine is assembled. After the plate is on, honing the cylinders makes them perfectly round again thereby eliminating blow-by and keeping the cylinder shape constant, improving efficiency and getting a longer life. When the engine runs, the block actually twists and deforms, and gets pulled every which way when all the components are screwed and bolted to it. By duplicating the loads that influence the distortion, you eliminate little inconsistancies, get a happier engine that will live a longer life. This is more important when pushing a design to it's limits. The higher the performance, the less room there is for error. This process is one that racers have been using for ions, and while these little inconsistancies don't effect the engine too much, when you're looking for every little bit of power, or looking for hitting a specific safety factor when you're pushing the envelop, this is one of the tools one can use to nearly assure the best running and longest lasting engine possible. If you've ever heard of engine blue-printing - this is an element of that process.
Great explanation!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon22 View Post
WOW! That is really something! AND it makes so much sense. I've been a licensed mechanic for 28 years and knew nothing of this process. Mind you, I've never been into building high performance engines, but I'm glad I learned about this process.

Can never be too information savvy! LOL
That's kinda cool to read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve View Post
I always figured it was the standard for how a block should be machined and just assumed that it was common practice for every auto manufacturer to ensure the best quality built motor. Guess i was wrong about that.
Don't let this lull you into believing the LS3s, etc are given "mediocre" attention. They have GREAT build quality and tolerances...the LSA, in this case, is given slightly more attention simply due to its higher power-levels, and potential for something to break.

Do you think Ford should use the expensive plasma-arc technology on ALL their cars? It's a better design than just standard press-fit sleeves....

Remember...high-performance "supercars" get to try out emerging technologies, first because their cost allows them to absorb the premium of these techniques....and then, in time, some of this trickles down to other, less-expensive cars. It's the same with the Volt -- the pinnacle of automotive efficiency in design. The aerodynamic work on the front air damn has made it to the Cruze...and the lithium batter/controller technology has made it to several Buicks with an "eAssist" badge.

Expensive cars get more stuff packed into them...high-po cars need hi-po attention...
Old 02-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #36
ZYA_LTR

Drives: Waiting to be ordered
The torque-plate honing has been around awhile, so it isn't any kind of new magic mojo for engine building, but it does add alot of hands-on manual human labor that obviously adds tons to the cost of assembly, as the process to finish hone a block is time consuming requiring constant measuring and adjustment to the boring bars's stone pressures and such. I have done this work in an engine shop, and takes a skilled touch to do it carefully and correctly, try calling your local engine shop and ask them what they charge to do it, plus the costs for the machine and training of individuals to do it, on top of where do they draw the line for # of machines/employees running them to keep up with production and not slow it down. Glad to see they are adding this touch to the ZL1, but doesn't make me think any less of the LS3's.
ZYA_LTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:46 PM   #37
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Its a component of a precision build.
Its the difference between something you can do in your garage or a precision build to be honest. So is the align hone. Most shops don't do that as well but again its a component of a precision build. We do it every single time... deck to set proper quench, hone with correct tq plate and fasteners including side fasteners, align hone, balance..... Our engines cost a little more but they are precision built.. no step is ever skipped and I've talked to shops who will say that align honing is a waste and so is a few other things. BUT we've had customers bring us their engines and all we do is take them apart ..machine them properly and put them back together using all the same parts and gain 15-25 hp just from proper/precision block prep work.
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:54 AM   #38
CyberGamaro

Drives: BLK 13 Camaro 1SS/1LE
This noob just learned something
4200 Status
CyberGamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #39
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Don't know if this has been posted before but on the LSA motors the heads are rotocasted to handle the extra cylinder pressures.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #40
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
As many have mentioned this is not a new technique. It has been in use for racing engines (and probably very high end performance engines like Ferrari or Lamborghini). I am not sure when GM started using this process for Corvette engines but the LS7 for sure had it, anyone know if the LT5 was deck plate honed? It wouldn't surprise me either way. I think the big news here is that unless Ford has used the process on high end mustangs, this is likely the lowest price point car that has ever been offered with this process from the factory.

I would also assume that this process has been somewhat automated for LSA production.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #41
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

Remember...high-performance "supercars" get to try out emerging technologies, first because their cost allows them to absorb the premium of these techniques....and then, in time, some of this trickles down to other, less-expensive cars. It's the same with the Volt -- the pinnacle of automotive efficiency in design. The aerodynamic work on the front air damn has made it to the Cruze...and the lithium batter/controller technology has made it to several Buicks with an "eAssist" badge.

Expensive cars get more stuff packed into them...high-po cars need hi-po attention...
^^Thats got to be the clearest way of explaining this.

Does anyone know if Ford or Dodge are using the same process on their Mustangs or Challengers? (referring to the GT/GT500 and 6.4L 392..)
I have read the 5.0 Mustang motor is pretty advanced in it own right also.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #42
IamJacksCamaro

Drives: Camaro LS M6, Fiero, Ford F100
Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post

I would also assume that this process has been somewhat automated for LSA production.
I agree. They have done something to keep the cost down.
IamJacksCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote