Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-25-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Sick of brake dust!

Anyone else sick of constantly having to clean that disgusting black brake dust off their wheels and fenders? Why can't GM use a ceramic compound that's cleaner? My Toyota Tundra pick-up has them and the wheels are always clean and the brakes work awsome. Only had to replace the front pads after 80,000 miles so I don't think the ceramics wear out as fast. Any comments. I'm thinking of converting to ceramics, any performance, wear or squeeking issues?
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
I hear a lot of people complaining about brake dust. I don't get much. I don't get it. Did Chevrolet use different pads at different times during production?
Old 10-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
My new Camaro

Drives: 2500 hd
i have the black 21s and u cant drive 5 miles after cleaning them and they look very dirty
My new Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
I agree....

Get some HAWK pads and you will greatly reduce the dust...I have sold them to a couple of folks and they have been very happy...I personally had them on my 4th gen and they are an improvement.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
Toastylicious
My car goes Vrooom.. You?

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro LS
Ya i get alot of break dust too.. I guess ill just keep washing
Toastylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
Michael#1

Drives: Black 2010 SS/RS
i am constantly cleaning my wheels as well...its a pain in the arse
Michael#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
CAM MAN

Drives: ALL 5 GEN CAMAROS
I do get some , But Not much.
CAM MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
coolman

Just don't use the brakes. Get A pair of reverse thrusters.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZcamaro View Post
I agree....

Get some HAWK pads and you will greatly reduce the dust...I have sold them to a couple of folks and they have been very happy...I personally had them on my 4th gen and they are an improvement.
I got the Hawk Street Performance pads from ZZ and they are a VAST improvement when it comes to brake dust!
Old 10-25-2009, 07:30 PM   #10
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Just switch the pads. The challenger guys were having the same issue with the brembos and alot just swapped pads with no ill effects except no/low dust.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:33 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Anyone else sick of constantly having to clean that disgusting black brake dust off their wheels and fenders? Why can't GM use a ceramic compound that's cleaner?
GM has durability, cost, and manufacturing issues to contend with; that's why. To be fair, the car stops quicker than a Vette, so I'd say they chose wisely.

That said -- feel free to switch to ceramic. The purpose of that compound is reduced dust, noise, and wear. I've heard good things about HAWK, and they should, at the very least maintain stopping performance.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #12
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZcamaro View Post
I agree....

How much are the Hawk ceramics for a set? Will they wear the rotors out faster than stock?
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #13
RobAGD

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT
Guys, I have the Brembo's on my RT ( did the complete swap what a PITA ).

The factory pads ( at least in the SRT ranks ) is damn close to a race pad, that is why you get the dusting and is some cases rotor scoring.

If these are the same pad ( any one have good pics of the OEM pads ? ) they need heat to work well.

If you goto a low dust pad you are also loosing some braking performance, if you don't need that extra bit o stopping power, a lot of SRT guys went with the Posi Quite pads which are a very low dust and most people could tell the braking difference but they wanted low dust. ( I managed to horde up a lot of good factory pads from this swap )

The Factory 5.7l RT pads were damn good, lasted for ever and lived through 2 AutoX days and a road course event with out much issue, but they did fade badly after 3 very very hard laps at California speedways infield.

You need to decide what you want from the brakes and be honest and work from there because it will be a matter of what you will trade off.

-Robert
Old 10-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #14
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAGD View Post
Guys, I have the Brembo's on my RT ( did the complete swap what a PITA ).

The factory pads ( at least in the SRT ranks ) is damn close to a race pad, that is why you get the dusting and is some cases rotor scoring.

If these are the same pad ( any one have good pics of the OEM pads ? ) they need heat to work well.

If you goto a low dust pad you are also loosing some braking performance, if you don't need that extra bit o stopping power, a lot of SRT guys went with the Posi Quite pads which are a very low dust and most people could tell the braking difference but they wanted low dust. ( I managed to horde up a lot of good factory pads from this swap )

The Factory 5.7l RT pads were damn good, lasted for ever and lived through 2 AutoX days and a road course event with out much issue, but they did fade badly after 3 very very hard laps at California speedways infield.

You need to decide what you want from the brakes and be honest and work from there because it will be a matter of what you will trade off.

-Robert
I am pretty sure that the factory pads are nothign special on our cars. The people with HAWK pads have seen an increase in stopping performance not a decrease.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote