Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 12-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #15
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
Will this fit the 2013's??
kostnkost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #16
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
I would think it should, I dont think GM changed the filler neck on the 13's.

Just an update 4000 miles with no problems.
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #17
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVA 45TH 2SS View Post
So There are several threads about this gas cap and having it coded by a dealer for $50, or having a locksmith do it.
If you dont have extra cash or your key code you can follow my instructions and get it done in less than 10 minutes.

For those of you that do not know, this cap works with your existing side cut key. About $22 from dealer, $15 or less online
GM part # 22790846
AC Delco # GT344

The tumblers are listed as 1L, 1R, 2L, 2R, etc. these are left or right specific.
One side of the lock cyinder has 2 keyhole slots and one has 3. The side with the 3 keyhole slots is the LEFT side.
There are 2 tumblers per side, the 3rd one on the left side is for the brass retainer clip.

Grab one tumbler that has a L in it and insert it into the first keyhole slot.

Hold the tumbler centered in cylinder and insert your key all the way.

Slide the sleeve (tab end first) over the cylinder.
If it stops at the tumbler it is the wrong one. (pic below)

If correct it should slide all the way up and rotate 90 degrees.

Once first position is correct leave it in and repeat for other left tumbler.

Then find both right side tumblers the same way.
Now carefully remove each tumbler and remember its location.
(the 5,6,7,8 below is the order of the cut positions if you get the code from the dealer)

Insert 2 springs (I did right side 1st)

Insert tumblers.

Repeat for left side.

Insert your key, and slide over the cylinder sleeve.
Make sure it rotates smoothly.

If everything is good insert the last spring and the brass keeper till it clicks in place.

Check for full operation one last time. Once you install the cylinder into the cap it will not come out.

Align the 3 tabs in the cap, and the 3 grooves of the cylinder.

Press together, till it clicks. You may have to rotate the handle, while holding the white part of the cap. Make sure you get those 2 tips on the end of the cylinder to line up.

Insert key, and test.

Thats all, its pretty easy.
I want one of these, can I get it at any dealer?? How much??
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #18
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
I just did this not 10 minutes ago. Easy peasy. And it DOES fit 2010s for anyone wondering like I was. (book doesn't show it fitting 2010 for some reason)

Just a couple of notes. The pin holding it onto the cap can be a mofo. It's plastic and will pop off, but you may mangle it if you're not careful. I almost did.

Also, obviously since it has more moving parts, it's heavier than the original cap by far, so be careful not to let it drop when you're removing the key so it doesn't clunk the quarter panel. More potential for damage.
I will be lining mine with soft cotton balls to protect my car.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #19
rzrbck_zl1

Drives: '13 ZL1 CRT #702; '05 Hemi Ram
Got my cap in today, and it took less than 10 minutes to set it up following your instructions. Thanks again!
rzrbck_zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #20
RCowan

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Quote:
Yeah I didn't talk about removing the strap to the door. Your on your own there
I just installed my locking gas cap and coded it using your excellent write-up. As a thank-you let me add how disconnect the strap and pop in your new one. (I haven't seen it written up anywhere)

1) Open the fuel filler door. Hold the "swing-arm" with your left hand and slide the fuel filler door off with your right. You will be pulling straight out away from the car as if you were just trying to slide the door off the black plastic arm. You will see that it comes off easily. (by the way there is a T-rex install video on youtube that shows this part)

2) The new gas cap strap has this push-in connector already installed on it, ready to pop in place, and your old one has the same. To remove the old one--push-in connector + strap and all--get some needle nose pliers and carefully squeeze the barbs on the back side of the push-in connector and it will come out easily. You can see the springy plastic barbs on your new one so you know what to look for. Then just push your new one back in its place. You see that it is easier to do without the fuel door in the way. Now just slide your door back on and you are good to go!

Thanks again for the help coding the key.
RCowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:31 AM   #21
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
So, I just set up this locking gas cap, and installed the cylinder into the plastic gas cap. I thought I did it correctly because the key moved smoothly and I am absolutely positive all the tumblers are perfect, but I'm second guessing if this is functioning correctly now. Maybe this is a crazy question, but when I insert the car key into the gas cap, when I turn it to the right, the lock refuses to let my car keys out of lock. It literally is stuck in there, but when I turn the key 90 degrees to the left to its starting position, the car key comes right out. Now, this can't possibly be normal for the gas cap to "lock" my keys into position when turned fully one of the directions, or is it?

What may I have done incorrectly, and is it reversible?
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #22
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
I believe that is correct, you unlock and need to turn it back to remove the key. I would check but my car is sleeping untill spring. The lock on my Silverado operates the same way.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #23
TCAT

Thanks MMC . I was hoping it was correct, otherwise I don't know what I did wrong, ha-ha. I'll install it today and hope it all goes well.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #24
GhettoMD

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
How you guys exchange the clip when your done? Besides that everything works great just.
GhettoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #25
TCAT

I just installed mine on the car and it works perfect! I did do it correctly following these directions. I had no idea that the key stayed in the gas cap while unscrewing/unlocking it. Once it's fully loosened to take it off, then you can take the key out.

Thanks again original poster! Your directions made it sooooo much easier put it together.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #26
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Just ordered mine today. I never understood why GM didn't make the filler door locking from the get go. So simple and easy to do but I guess the smooth look was suppose to make someone think it was a locking door. None the less, this has been one of my most worried about thing with my car aside from a door ding, keying, crash or theft! Some things you can't control but this solves the proverbial shyt put into the gas tank.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #27
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
I never understood why GM didn't make the filler door locking from the get go.
Because it's pointless and they aren't secure at all, you can pry off a locked door in a couple seconds with a screwdriver. If someone really wanted to do something to your gas having a locked door will only cause more damage.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #28
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
32yrs of police work I've yet to see one popped off not saying it hasn't happened. Just like stealing without or without an alarm or wheels without locks. Thieves typically move on to something that requires less work and effort. Now if they go out and just damage the hell out of the car I would tend to say it was more of a personal thing or just plain stupidity!